Author Topic: Are scalpers inevitable?  (Read 3764 times)

Offline calebu2

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Are scalpers inevitable?
« on: January 16, 2017, 11:41:53 AM »
It seems you don't get far into the onsales for a U2 tour without coming across hundreds of tickets being resold by scalpers on various venues. Are scalpers an inevitable part of the concert ticket scene? or is there something that the band or LiveNation could do to slow the scalpers down?

Would love to get thoughts and ideas on this thorny topic.

Waffles

Re: Are scalpers inevitable?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 11:46:23 AM »
Well they're never going to go away

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 11:48:15 AM »
I'm afraid there's only so much they can do.  As long as people are willing to pay more than the price the band charges through Ticketmaster, "enterprising" folks will find a way to buy and resell them for a profit.  Maybe one day there will be some kind of thumbprint identification or something to go with each ticket, but let's face it, it's nice to at least be able to legitimately sell tickets you wind up being unable to use yourself.  And frankly, Ticketmaster themselves have figured out how to get their piece of the pie from scalers: Stubhub.  I remember the days when scalping was viewed as a serious offense.  Now it's welcomed, as long as you do it through THEIR interface where they can get their cut of the profits.

Waffles

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 11:50:30 AM »
I've always wondered, how does the band distinguish between scalpers and attendees when they announce 'sold out'

Offline flowtheman

• Babyface
  • Even better than the real thing.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 11:51:16 AM »
I think the only thing to do is personalize the tickets.
During a tour of a German musician (Grönemeyer, probably known to some of you) you only could enter the venue by showing both, tour ticket and ID/drivers license/passport which you had to register during the process of purchase.

But it was a special tour in small venues. Usually playing big stadiums Grönemeyer went small for a couple of shows with about 2.000 to 5.000 per venue. The effort to go this way in big stadiums is probably a lot higher.

If you couldn't attend the show you bought tickets for, you and the person you were selling/giving the ticket had to get in touch with Ticketmaster and they would take care of the transaction or at least monitor it.

I think that's the only way to go. And doing this at 60k stadiums would probably raise the amount of work in a way that ticketprices would rise, too.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 11:52:04 AM »
I bought resale tickets for SOI from the Ticketmaster site...$168 each vs $292 for the venue price. And, they were really good seats, too. Now I'm afraid to do this...due to the credit card entry deal. It's scary...especially if you have to travel to get to the shows. Can't afford to throw money away on a resale ticket if it's not going to be valid. Any advice on this?

Offline threechords

• Wanderer
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 12:06:02 PM »
I posted this on U2.com

This is SO crappy for fans.  Period.

The pros still get their secondary market, there will never be no scalpers.  I mean look at TM itself trying to "grow their secondary market revenue".  That is from their press release in the horse race with stubhub.  The 2 big corporates battling it out woohoo.  And then us fans are left to drivel at each other with the quote from above "but only if you can be at the venue yourself to go to that show (and they meet you, go in with you, etc.)."  It is laughable that people can sing people have the power and not laugh at the silliness of it.  That is a joke.

Anyway, sure I could cancel my CC right now.  I could get a new CC#.  I could tell TM hey CC gone, put these NY GA's on another CC (a gift card).  I could sell them for $400 a pair on stub hub.  I mean it's doable, it's a pain but it's there.  So the pros figure this process is a cost of doing business, and they just buy them on the pre-paid cards at the start anyway and ship off that card with the stub hub sale.  us fans are screwed and U2 or other bands didn't prevent anything.  How many posts did we read last tour, wow couldn't make it 2 GA's not used etc.  Amazing it is allowed.  People have the power remember.  The secondary market is growing "low single digits" year over year, per their big companies, so this isn't stopping it.  But oh yeah, the fans get screwed.  I am trying to put a few shows together with my wife.  I met her on WIRE back in 1997.  I have traded GA's with a fan, without incident, every tour since 1997 until last tour.  Sad we can't carry each other.  (does this post have enough sentence fragments lol, sorry)

So what is this system?

1) screw fans while the big money laughs

2) big money still makes money (and laughs while doing it).

It's simple really.  And bad for the fans that pay in to make the whole system go.

Offline Bentleyspop

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 12:11:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've always wondered, how does the band distinguish between scalpers and attendees when they announce 'sold out'

They don't.
Once ALL of the tickets have ALL been sold and or accounted for, the show is considered  sold out.

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 12:19:39 PM »
I paid £40 under FV for The Hydro Arena in Glasgow cant complain there
But as already said it us the fans who make the prices when U2 did 3Arena prices werest silly money BUT they were still selling very well.

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 12:42:49 PM »
On the I+E tour for Berlin 2 I bought a €180 for €90 outside the venue. Touts outside venues are pretty handy at times.

The problem lies SOLELY with the people who are willing to pay more than face value for a ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 12:47:48 PM »

They don't. And the full show isn't really sold out, either. Today's "sold out" announcement doesn't mean every ticket in the stadium has been sold, it means "all of the tickets we decided to release today have been sold." Quite a difference. There are always multiple ticket releases as the shows approach. Always.

And to answer the original question, yes, scalpers are inevitable.

Offline 1967mca

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 12:49:10 PM »
Prince was meant to play a mini tour in small venues a few years back. When he found out what was happening to the tickets he cancelled the whole tour. Gonna take something like that from more bands before something gets done.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 01:17:04 PM »
I agree that there's probably only so much artists, venues and ticket sellers can do about it in the end. Even if things like ID+CC entry did gain a foothold, it'll probably only be 90%+ foolproof in the smaller venues. I can't imagine anything ever becoming commonplace for, say, stadium gigs or maybe even arenas. It's just too many people and the venues themselves might not want to go through the trouble.

In terms of secondary sites and StubHub, there is always a flip side to it if you go to shows regularly. It is nice to have an option to sell your tickets if you're unable to use them, and I've used those sites plenty to see shows I wasn't able to get tickets for... some times even at less the price than what a regular ticket would have cost. Two years ago, I bought a 4th row floor ticket for the Rolling Stones that was half the regular price. Still $200+, but like I said, that's the flip side argument for you!

Offline shesarainbow

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • With a guitar ... on fire.
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 01:17:28 PM »
No, they don't have to be. Surely U2 have the power to ban the sale of their tickets for inflated prices on secondary sites. They could do the right thing by leading the way with this.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 05:36:26 AM »
Prince was meant to play a mini tour in small venues a few years back. When he found out what was happening to the tickets he cancelled the whole tour. Gonna take something like that from more bands before something gets done.

...and what good did it do ? To anyone ?

Prince was a great artist but a lame businessman. It's easy to pull out or scream "outrage" but sitting down and finding a solution requires more skills. The first victims of such "protest" acts are the fans. Always.