Author Topic: Missing Paul McGuinness?  (Read 1299 times)

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
Missing Paul McGuinness?
« on: January 18, 2017, 08:09:22 AM »
With the talk of touring for money, denying nostalgia and overall complaints I am hearing, it makes me miss Paul McGuinness.

As their manager it seemed like he was not all about the money and was the "fifth member" - maybe even someone who spoke up to them. I think when they switched something was lost. Witness the poor roll out of the last album, the questions about this tour, etc.

Hangin' on
You're all that's left to hold on to.
I'm still waiting
I'm hangin' on
You're all that's left to hold on to.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
Re: Missing Paul McGuinness?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 08:11:31 AM »
When Paul was still around, he was often blamed -- as is Bruce Springsteen's manager, Jon Landau -- of being the bean-counter that derailed U2's creativity in exchange for the pursuit of every last dollar. So funny how quickly the brown grass turns green, isn't it?

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 08:39:50 AM »
Can't help but feel this JT Tour smacks of McGuiness.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 09:02:40 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Can't help but feel this JT Tour smacks of McGuiness.

I think it smacks of throwing us a bone because they aren't ready to release the record yet, and anything else is reading too much into the situation. Either the album was never finished, or they are doing what Edge said they are. Either way, it was going to be another year before the show hit the road, so they are doing something to satisfy fans who have been waiting for several years now for the next U2 tour -- even longer for those who were unable to get to the short run of I+E shows.

And many of us are repaying that olive branch by questioning their intentions and morals. Classy.

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 09:54:43 AM »
I always chuckle when these threads pop up, because I remember not long ago when Paul was the villain and many on here were begging the band to fire him. Now a new group on here blames Guy for everything. Neither group ever seems to take into account that there is a common denominator here, the band, and I think nothing really happens without all four of them signing off on it. The manager guides and negotiates, but I think it's the band that has the final say.

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 10:00:37 AM »
I always chuckle when these threads pop up, because I remember not long ago when Paul was the villain and many on here were begging the band to fire him. Now a new group on here blames Guy for everything. Neither group ever seems to take into account that there is a common denominator here, the band, and I think nothing really happens without all four of them signing off on it. The manager guides and negotiates, but I think it's the band that has the final say.

+1

Offline Yaro

• Stateless
  • Everything you know is wrong
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 10:27:28 AM »

Not necessarily..Guy (Oseary) is a stone cold money making machine building himself an empire..he d be the greedy lawyer in (Pretty Woman) or thieving  snake  sports agent Bob Sugar in  (Jerry McGuire) .Dont think for a second the band doesn't listen when he whispers ,guys, why not make $ 400 million instead of  (200), people will always buy your tickets, no matter what you charge..Paul McGuinness was all about the heart and the roots where they came from.Guy Oseary is a businessman living in Beverly Hills ..Joshua tree tour is a perfect example of (Guy's) money making  ideas..When the (Apple )fiasco happened McGuinness stated he was shocked and surprised how the lads went about delivering the new album.. that's how millionaires become multimillionaires or billionaires..
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 02:58:41 PM by Hawkmoon2e »

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 11:38:01 AM »
I agree on not being a guy fan...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:00:46 PM by Hawkmoon2e »

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 11:56:23 AM »

Not necessarily..Guy (Oseary) is a stone cold money making machine building himself an empire..he d be the greedy lawyer in (Pretty Woman) or thieving  snake  sports agent Bob Sugar in  (Jerry McGuire) .Dont think for a second the band doesn't listen when he whispers ,guys, why not make $ 400 million instead of  (200), people will always buy your tickets, no matter what you charge..Paul McGuinness was all about the heart and the roots where they came from.Guy Oseary is a businessman living in Beverly Hills ..Joshua tree tour is a perfect example of (Guy's) money making  ideas..When the (Apple )fiasco happened McGuinness stated he was shocked and surprised how the lads went about delivering the new album.. that's how millionaires become multimillionaires or billionaires..

And similar statements were made about Paul. The anti-Paul crowd even had a nickname for him, something like "Mr. Greenback." They felt he was so against the band using more technology (ie. the internet) because he would lose money. Paul may have had the Dublin connection with the band, but don't think for a minute he wasn't trying to make as much money as he could for them and him. Remember, the Live Nation deal was signed under his watch, he negotiated their deal with Universal and the 360 Tour was his last hurrah.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:03:16 PM by Hawkmoon2e »

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 12:11:01 PM »

The manager works FOR the band. The band always comes first. Wether you are U2 or my band The Yalla Yallas ultimately it's down to the guys walking out on to the stage or into the studio or writing the songs. If you're not happy in a band it's so easy to simply withhold labour and cite creative differences if you're not happy with a situation. U2 know what they are doing. I've never seen such demand/interest for a U2 tour. If this reignites mainstream interest in U2 then they will be nothing but pleased. BTW I heard The Miracle on the radio the other day. I didn't even hear it played when they released it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 03:26:40 PM »
I miss Paul, he was the fifth member and made good creative decisions with and for the band. Let him enjoy retirement though I guess.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 03:29:39 PM »
I always liked Paul. I think he did a lot for the band and was often unfairly criticized, but probably also fairly criticized. There will always be tension between art and commerce.

Offline RonnieFerg

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 03:46:22 PM »
I definitely remember a quote from P McG around the time of one of the album re-issues. The question was why are you re-issuing the albums. And his answer amounted to: "these deluxe editions are probably the last time we can extract maximum capital from U2 fans by making them pay for physical media."

For him it wasn't about reliving the albums or giving them second life with new audio technologies. It was purely "this is the way to make the most money" off of fans. Which is fine. That's his job. But he definitely wasn't this kind old soul pushing the band to innovate for the sheer artistry of it. He'd probably be behind this tour just as much as Oseary.

(and for the record, I'm all for this tour. I'd much prefer U2 to bask in nostalgia than write another cynical "Get Your Boots" style hit with the hope of getting radio play and injecting themselves into pop culture mainstream just because I think they're too old for that. If they are going to make a new album, I hope they'll go the route of Time Out of Mind era Bob Dylan... just make a darn good album. Don't worry about a hit single and pop cultural relevance. Of course that's not the advice P McG or Oseary would be giving, but a man can hope)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:48:48 PM by RonnieFerg »

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 03:55:02 PM »
I once saw Paul give a fan one of Edge's picks during an Elevation show because he held up a sign that read YOU NEVER LOST IT when Bono delivered his line about re-applying for the job of best and in the world.

At this point, any of us could manage U2. I mean, come on. It's like Chris Rock's joke about selling drugs. Drugs sell themselves. You ever hear someone say 'What am I going to do with all this crack? Drugs sell themselves!'

I daresay anyone of us here could have improved on any product the band has released in the last 25 years if they had just asked ...

Offline jonnydeaf

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 06:36:36 PM »
I once saw Paul give a fan one of Edge's picks during an Elevation show because he held up a sign that read YOU NEVER LOST IT when Bono delivered his line about re-applying for the job of best and in the world.

At this point, any of us could manage U2. I mean, come on. It's like Chris Rock's joke about selling drugs. Drugs sell themselves. You ever hear someone say 'What am I going to do with all this crack? Drugs sell themselves!'

I daresay anyone of us here could have improved on any product the band has released in the last 25 years if they had just asked ...

I've heard this logic in many pubs after the local side fell into the 2nd division. Anyone could run a team better than they guys doing it.