Author Topic: U2 did not sell out  (Read 22780 times)

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: U2 did not sell out
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2017, 08:25:12 PM »
I was bored a little while ago, so I added up the available tickets for the U2 Houston show vs the Coldplay Houston show, both at NRG stadium this summer.  Yes, I do have a life, just not tonight.  No, this actually didn't take me very long to do. 

So, without counting resale tickets, U2 have 2,789 tickets available for Houston.  Coldplay have a whopping 14,840 tickets still available.  I do this not to rag on Coldplay, but to prove a point.  Coldplay are arguably the biggest current, relevant band in the world right now.  But to criticize U2 for a few thousand unsold seats is unfounded, when Coldplay have WAY more unsold tickets.  Even during Zoo TV U2 didn't sell out every show, especially in the US. 

Last year Coldplay benefitted from the Super Bowl, and sold out most of their shows at extortionate prices.  This year, for part 2 of their US/Canada tour, they don't have that Superb Owl boost, and there are several cases of venues with MANY seats available.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2017, 11:22:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was bored a little while ago, so I added up the available tickets for the U2 Houston show vs the Coldplay Houston show, both at NRG stadium this summer.  Yes, I do have a life, just not tonight.  No, this actually didn't take me very long to do. 

So, without counting resale tickets, U2 have 2,789 tickets available for Houston.  Coldplay have a whopping 14,840 tickets still available.  I do this not to rag on Coldplay, but to prove a point.  Coldplay are arguably the biggest current, relevant band in the world right now.  But to criticize U2 for a few thousand unsold seats is unfounded, when Coldplay have WAY more unsold tickets.  Even during Zoo TV U2 didn't sell out every show, especially in the US. 

Last year Coldplay benefitted from the Super Bowl, and sold out most of their shows at extortionate prices.  This year, for part 2 of their US/Canada tour, they don't have that Superb Owl boost, and there are several cases of venues with MANY seats available.

I think the biggest reason why Coldplay have so many unsold tickets is because the prices are outrageous. Here's the prices at Soldier Field: $222+ fees for floor seats, $166+ fees for 100/200 level, $66-$96 for 300 level/nose bleed seats. Oh, and seats close to the stage? They're "platinum" and will cost $525+ fees.

Let's compare that to U2. 300 level/nose bleed seats will run you $35-$70 for 300 level/nose bleed seats, $280 for 100/200 level seating (could be considered floor seats given the view of the stage), $300ish for Red Zone tickets which would be the equivalent of "platinum" seats.

For fun, let's also compare to Metallica. $155.50+ fees for GA, $135-$155.50 for 100 level seats, $55-$155.50 for 200 level seats, $55-$135.50 for 300 level, $55-$71.50 for nose bleed seats.

I think you can spot a trend here: U2 tend to keep GA ticket prices VERY reasonable. I know, we complain about spending $80-$90 for GA tickets, but at least they're not charging $65 ABOVE that for GA like Metallica. And at least they're not making it a seats-only event (which I HATE...floor seats make it so only the richest get closest to the stage). Also, they tend to keep nose bleed seats pretty reasonable. Yes, those $35 tickets DO exist, though they're limited in quantity (I managed to pick up a couple for family). The $70 tickets, considering who you're seeing, are pretty fairly prices, too. I do think $280 is a bit much for 100/200 level tickets, but those who are cool with being further away or are willing to stand in GA can get tickets for much cheaper. And those Red Zone tickets? They're the equivalent of platinum tickets since you're right up to the stage and $300 is a bargain compared to over $500 for Coldplay.

What I don't understand is why bands like Coldplay and Metallica think they can charge so much for their shows. They are NOT the Rolling Stones, a reunited Pink Floyd, a reunited Led Zeppelin, or even a reunited Guns N Roses. Metallica's fanbase is comprised of rock fans....and rock fans on average don't tend to be rich guys. And Coldplay is no where NEAR U2 or Metallica's league at this point. There are very few bands who can get away with charging crazy prices for tickets: Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles (if they were all still alive and touring), Guns (now, but perhaps not later when the novelty wears off), and maybe U2 in their prime. Other bands expecting to command $90 for nose bleed seats and over $150 for GA/floor seats are out of their minds.

I hope Coldplay/Metallica play to only 1/2 or 3/4 full stadiums so they can see the effect of being greedy with their prices. I hope it teaches them a lesson to stop ripping off fans.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2017, 04:55:05 AM »
Arcade Fire are playing a stadium gig in the UK this year, 49.50+ fees, sold out straight away. 

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2017, 08:29:31 PM »
Arcade Fire are playing a stadium gig in the UK this year, 49.50+ fees, sold out straight away.

They aren't my cup of tea, but I know they've got a very good reputation in the music world and are pretty well known. $49.50+ fees is VERY reasonable. Kudos to them for keeping things fair.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2017, 10:23:33 AM »

They aren't my cup of tea, but I know they've got a very good reputation in the music world and are pretty well known. $49.50+ fees is VERY reasonable. Kudos to them for keeping things fair.

I like some of their stuff but like you I've never really taken to them.  Never seen them live but some of my friends adore the band and go each tour.  I just used them as an example that some bands put on stadium shows at much lower prices than others, so there's no inevitability to having to pay $100 or more to see a band outdoors.

Offline ninotcs

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2017, 07:29:16 PM »
Pittsburgh show is the saddest show at the stadium I've seen...Period. Not only U2 show, but any show.
There is maybe 25,000 people if you're lucky (including crew) in a stadium that holds 68,000.
I think people are turned off by outrageous prices

Surprisingly, I was at 360 tour Pittsburgh show (last stop in US), and it was almost sold out.  I remember pricing being a bit better.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2017, 07:57:28 AM »
Pittsburgh show is the saddest show at the stadium I've seen...Period. Not only U2 show, but any show.
There is maybe 25,000 people if you're lucky (including crew) in a stadium that holds 68,000.

Surprisingly, I was at 360 tour Pittsburgh show (last stop in US), and it was almost sold out.  I remember pricing being a bit better.

360 at Hienz field had 56,000 at it, still a decent attendance by any standard

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2017, 08:26:36 AM »
Also have to remember, for Pittsburgh peeps - their attention, time and monies are devoted to the Penguins quest to repeat as Stanley Cup champions.  8)

U2 ain't the big event right now.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2017, 05:45:47 PM »

360 at Hienz field had 56,000 at it, still a decent attendance by any standard

I was at the show the other night. Attendance was around 40,000. The place was pretty empty while The Lumineers played but by the time U2 took stage, the place had filled up mostly.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 07:11:38 PM by tigerfan41 »

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2017, 06:29:59 AM »
Well as usual Europe sold out quickly - but partly because we only got half the shows US/Canada got despite population being similar.   They clearly could have (and will) quickly sell more tickets in certain cities and still that won't satisfy demand    A country the size of Germany getting one concert, Spain too etc etc   
The Population of Europe is about Double that of USA and Canada combined......so technically, Europe should get way more shows than it does

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2017, 06:57:50 AM »
Didn't work for India and China with their 2.6billion people!!

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2017, 09:07:59 AM »
The difference between Europe and China/India with U2, is that U2 could announce a 50 show stadium tour of Europe, and literally every show would sell out... most within a matter of hours.  U2 underplay Europe to a STUPID degree, and overplay the US. 

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2017, 02:10:39 PM »
We (Americans) smile a lot more than the average, so perhaps U2 feels more appreciated here?  This is a statistical fact that people in the U.S. smile much more readily.  Sometimes we smile stupidly, but we do smile  ;D

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2017, 02:20:14 PM »
We (Americans) smile a lot more than the average, so perhaps U2 feels more appreciated here?  This is a statistical fact that people in the U.S. smile much more readily.  Sometimes we smile stupidly, but we do smile  ;D

I can tell you a smile pretty much never left my face at Heinz Field during U2's set. How can anyone not smile hearing great music and being surrounded by a lot of enthusiastic fans?  ;)

Offline shanep

• Stateless
« Reply #104 on: June 12, 2017, 04:36:09 PM »
The difference between Europe and China/India with U2, is that U2 could announce a 50 show stadium tour of Europe, and literally every show would sell out... most within a matter of hours.  U2 underplay Europe to a STUPID degree, and overplay the US.

And they have underplayed Europe for years. Never understood it. I'm American but their lack of European shows, and especially to new locales, really baffles me.

But you are right they could sell out a huge European stadium tour. The demand has always outstripped demand there. Their last decent European stadium tour was Zooropa '93.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 04:37:44 PM by shanep »