Author Topic: U2 did not sell out  (Read 23338 times)

Offline suppers ready

• Stateless
Re: U2 did not sell out
« Reply #105 on: June 12, 2017, 11:25:56 PM »
I think the main reason they're playing the U.S. again is because they're going to Mexico/South America, so they're doing a few shows while they get the stages further south.  But they do put a lot of value in the US over the rest of the world.  Let's face it, they've been playing it safe since Pop and that album sold well everywhere, except the USA.  I assume the tour went over better in Europe too, but I wasn't there.

Offline renno

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2017, 09:29:29 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pittsburgh show is the saddest show at the stadium I've seen...Period. Not only U2 show, but any show.
There is maybe 25,000 people if you're lucky (including crew) in a stadium that holds 68,000.
I think people are turned off by outrageous prices

Surprisingly, I was at 360 tour Pittsburgh show (last stop in US), and it was almost sold out.  I remember pricing being a bit better.

25k. Most press releases said 40k plus. Floor looked full the whole lower bowl was full. The upper tier looking at the band was full. It was only the two upper tiers that had a lot of empty seats

Offline anthonyintijuana72

• Babyface
« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2017, 04:41:44 PM »
Print

Rank

Artist/Event

Venue

City/State

Event Dates

Gross Sales

Attend/
Capacity

Shows/
Sellouts

Prices

Promoters

1 U2, The Lumineers Rose Bowl Pasadena, Calif. May 20-21, 2017 $15,784,565 123,164 /123,164
123,164 2 / 2 $280, $35 Live Nation Global Touring
2 U2, The Lumineers Soldier Field Chicago, Ill. June 3-4, 2017 $13,435,925 105,078 /
105,078 2 / 2 $280, $35 Live Nation Global Touring
3 Celine Dion The Colosseum at Caesars Palace Las Vegas, Nev. May 9, 12-13, 16-17, 19-20, 23-24, 27-28, 30-31, June 2-3, 2017 $10,395,450 61,296 /
63,207 15 / 9 $500, $250, $140, $55 AEG Presents/Caesars Entertainment
4 U2, Mumford & Sons Levi's Stadium Santa Clara, Calif. May 17, 2017 $6,268,805 50,072 /
50,072 1 / 1 $280, $35 Live Nation Global Touring
5 U2, Mumford & Sons CenturyLink Field Seattle, Wash. May 14, 2017 $6,249,670 57,009 /
57,009 1 / 1 $280, $35 Live Nation Global Touring
6 U2, The Lumineers AT&T Stadium Arlington, Texas May 26, 2017 $6,044,330 49,807 /
49,807 1 / 1 $280, $35 Live Nation Global Touring
7 U2, The Lumineers NRG Stadium Houston, Texas May 24, 2017 $5,889,005 47,669 /
47,669 1 / 1 $280, $35 Live Nation Global Touring
8 U2, Mumford & Sons BC Place Stadium Vancouver, British Columbia May 12, 2017 $4,321,731 45,436 /
45,436 1 / 1 $204.21, $25.53 Live Nation Global Touring
9 U2, The Lumineers Heinz Field Pittsburgh, Pa. June 7, 2017 $4,273,920 41,413 /
41,413 1 / 1 $280, $35 Live Nation Global Touring
10 Iron Maiden, Shinedown O2 Arena London, U.K. May 27-28, 2017 $2,399,119 34,427 /
34,427 2 / 2 $74.14, $59.31 Live Nation
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 04:43:49 PM by anthonyintijuana72 »

Offline U21978man

• Babyface
« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2017, 01:35:00 PM »
Pittsburgh show is the saddest show at the stadium I've seen...Period. Not only U2 show, but any show.
There is maybe 25,000 people if you're lucky (including crew) in a stadium that holds 68,000.

Surprisingly, I was at 360 tour Pittsburgh show (last stop in US), and it was almost sold out.  I remember pricing being a bit better.

louisville show is not looking good  attendance wise most seats empty with 2 days till show! GA floor is sold out though!

Offline wik73

• Numb
« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2017, 07:48:55 AM »
What a load of rubbish. A 5 minute ticketmaster search just showed me that the only dates that have seats left in multiple sections (mostly higher up) are Houston and Tampa. Some of the shows they listed as not selling have no available tickets (Cleveland, Miami, Washington). So basically U2 sold out stadiums in Vancouver, Seattle, San Fran, LA, Chicago, NY, Boston, Washington, Philly, Miami, Cleveland, Toronto, and Dallas within 1 day of tickets going on sale to the public, with only Houston, Tampa, and Pittsburgh not being automatic sell outs and that is supposed to be looked at as a failure? North American dates alone have probably grossed more then $120m in 1 day. U2 must be devastated.

Don't call it "San Fran". ;)

everyone knows its proper nickname is simply Frisco.   ;D
I'm in the Midwest and our company HQ are in San Fansisco so it's referenced a lot and I never hear Frisco but I hear San Fran all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2017, 11:42:44 AM »
What a load of rubbish. A 5 minute ticketmaster search just showed me that the only dates that have seats left in multiple sections (mostly higher up) are Houston and Tampa. Some of the shows they listed as not selling have no available tickets (Cleveland, Miami, Washington). So basically U2 sold out stadiums in Vancouver, Seattle, San Fran, LA, Chicago, NY, Boston, Washington, Philly, Miami, Cleveland, Toronto, and Dallas within 1 day of tickets going on sale to the public, with only Houston, Tampa, and Pittsburgh not being automatic sell outs and that is supposed to be looked at as a failure? North American dates alone have probably grossed more then $120m in 1 day. U2 must be devastated.

Don't call it "San Fran". ;)

everyone knows its proper nickname is simply Frisco.   ;D
I'm in the Midwest and our company HQ are in San Fansisco so it's referenced a lot and I never hear Frisco but I hear San Fran all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's a town in Texas called Frisco, so that nickname is really confusing sometimes.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2017, 12:41:25 PM »
I guess what makes this confusing for me is that, despite Ticketmaster saying a show is sold out, there will be hundreds of tix available on secondary sites like StubHub. I mean, the Seattle show was "sold out" pretty quickly, but heaps of tickets were available elsewhere. I paid around face value for GA.

So the only way to know if a show is truly sold out is by attending it and looking around.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2017, 01:27:02 PM »

25k. Most press releases said 40k plus. Floor looked full the whole lower bowl was full. The upper tier looking at the band was full. It was only the two upper tiers that had a lot of empty seats
25k?? Official Billboard box score was 55,823.

Offline jrodr079

• Refugee
« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2017, 02:45:55 PM »
I guess what makes this confusing for me is that, despite Ticketmaster saying a show is sold out, there will be hundreds of tix available on secondary sites like StubHub. I mean, the Seattle show was "sold out" pretty quickly, but heaps of tickets were available elsewhere. I paid around face value for GA.

So the only way to know if a show is truly sold out is by attending it and looking around.

Sold out means all tickets sold. NOT all seats filled.

Online JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2017, 02:54:40 PM »

Sold out means all tickets sold. NOT all seats filled.
. Yup to the promoter they just need tickets sold to pay the bill not buts in seats

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2017, 11:35:27 PM »

I was there at Pittsburgh. It was way more than 25,000, I would guess close to or over 40,000. They covered up 12 sections, but the lower bowl was totally full and the rest of the upper was, too. Plus GA was 2/3 full.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2017, 08:46:25 AM »
Tampa show was packed, despite heavy rain and lightning in the hours before the show and rain up until the U2 stage was being set up. Floor was packed. Lower bowl and club were packed. I saw very, very few empty seats even in the nosebleeds.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2017, 01:46:59 PM »

I was there at Pittsburgh. It was way more than 25,000, I would guess close to or over 40,000. They covered up 12 sections, but the lower bowl was totally full and the rest of the upper was, too. Plus GA was 2/3 full.
I called Heinz Field a few days before the show, and I'm pretty sure that they said only 42,000 tickets were made available; and, that, as of that phone call, that about 39,000 had been sold.

It's not inconceivable that the remaining tickets would sell come show day.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2017, 01:55:58 PM »

I called Heinz Field a few days before the show, and I'm pretty sure that they said only 42,000 tickets were made available; and, that, as of that phone call, that about 39,000 had been sold.

Good point. People assume empty seats mean unsold seats, and that's often not the case. People also assume every seat is made available, which is often not the case. There's a lot of assumptions being made about that show in particular. I don't know what is going on in that market, but it has become a slow sell, at least the stadium has at least. I think U2 did pretty well, considering.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2017, 01:28:01 AM »

Good point. People assume empty seats mean unsold seats, and that's often not the case. People also assume every seat is made available, which is often not the case. There's a lot of assumptions being made about that show in particular. I don't know what is going on in that market, but it has become a slow sell, at least the stadium has at least. I think U2 did pretty well, considering.

Heinz Field also told me that they capped the field off at 8,000 tickets, all of which sold.

I don't think that Pittsburgh is a bad market, though it is a limited market. The city only has a little bit more than 300,000 people, with a 2.5 million metropolitan area. It's also relatively close to many cities that are either of relative size (Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester, Detroit, Columbus) or much bigger (D.C., Philly, NYC, Toronto, Chicago). This alone can lead to a band skipping Pittsburgh (here's looking at you, Paul Simon, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Adele, and Florence & The Machine), or just not selling as well, especially if several of those other markets have the same tour booked, especially if Pittsburgh is a weeknight and another nearby town is a weekend.

To top it off, there are sooooooo many concerts coming to town, that one must choose how to spend their money. The day after U2 here, I saw Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (Tom Petty was on Friday, and Tool on Monday, all of the same week as U2 at Heinz Field); and, Hall & Oates and Tears For Fears together the following week. I had so skip Sigur Ros due to both work and finances; and, I'm now debating if I want to see James Taylor and Bonnie Raitt together more so than Echo & The Bunnymen and The Violent Femmes. Also, Rancid and Dropkick Murphys are here together in August, as well as both Gogol Bordello and the Pixies in the Fall.

To top it off, I'm going to Morocco in the Fall, and would also like to visit my family in Georgia for Christmas........

sh** just gets expensive, you know?