Author Topic: Is Anyone Surprised By The North American Leg Joshua Tree Tour Schedule?  (Read 3651 times)

Offline danielww2000

• Babyface
Re: Is Anyone Surprised By The North American Leg Joshua Tree Tour Schedule?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 08:07:45 PM »
Boston should be getting another show as the plan was to have 2.

Offline Pint of Guinness

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 09:18:38 PM »
Really surprised and disappointed there's no Colorado show, especially with the supporting bands.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 09:51:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I haven't heard of anything concerning Vegas but the Phoenix show should fall between the Dallas, May 26th and the Detroit show, May 31st at the stadium in Glendale mostly likely that Monday.

I thought that list of extra cities was proven false?

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 11:00:33 PM »
I'm honestly surprised that they booked both Cleveland and Pittsburgh, as the two cities are only 2 hours apart. While not small towns, neither is really all that big, either. Without looking it up on Wikipedia, I believe that Cleveland is a bit over 400,000, and Pittsburgh 300,000, each with a metropolitan population pushing 3 million. So, the regions certainly have enough to provide the demand required to turn a pretty penny; but, at the same time, with there only being 2 hours between the cities, Pittsburgh will inevitably lose some ticket sale to Cleveland, and vice versa. Also, as Cleveland is the final North American show, it automatically has extra demand, I would think (hence, Cleveland is already soldout, while you can still get face value floor tickets for Pittsburgh).

I have no doubts that Pittsburgh will sell out between now and June; but, I suspect that the slowness has the boys attention.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 11:24:34 PM »
While Cleveland and Pitt are close together, Pitt is closer to other sold out cities like Boston and East Rutherford than Cleveland is. It's possible people who can't get tickets to those shows may instead go to Pitt. Same with the Philly show (not sure if that one sold out).

I think this is partly why Cleveland sold out so quickly. It's only 4.5 hours from Chicago which sold out of GA tickets during the presale and quickly sold out during the general sale. There are probably many fans who wanted Chicago but settled for Cleveland (only to then find out about the second Chicago date). For instance, my first preference was Chicago but I could not get GA tickets for it during presale. So I picked Cleveland because it's about the same distance away from me. 

We've seen U2 play many consecutive dates in markets like Chicago and New York. These are very hot markets. It seems crazy that they have so many shows on the east coast (some would call it overbooking), but given the demand it's not surprising. They're almost certainly going to sell out all those dates.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 11:56:03 PM »
I'm a bit disapointed that the boys are playing so many of the same venues they've played before, and that they are starting out once again in Vancouver.  Someone said previously on another post its because of a tax reason that they rehearse in Canada for a few weeks, but why play in Vancouver and then Seattle? They are so close and Portland again gets no love (the briefcase was returned Bono!).

Offline superstar905

• Stateless
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2017, 05:29:59 AM »
Montréal has a large fan base but no stadium's. I have no ticket for JT I am hoping they add a 2nd show so I can try to get a ticket. Only 2 shows in Canada that hurts bad.....

Montreal is also a 4 hr drive, too close. Toronto had plenty of presale tickets right to the end of the 2 day presale window.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 07:19:39 AM by superstar905 »

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2017, 07:30:06 AM »

What about the gaps in the schedule around Bonnarroo and the two shows in Florida? Raleigh was rumored but didn't happen -- I wonder if it might be because of the bathroom law. Atlanta would seem like a natural but their old dome is about to come down and the new one isn't ready yet.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2017, 08:26:18 AM »
[quote author=superstar905 link=topic=30663.msg1661715#msg1661715 date=1484915399
I tried so don't tell me they were sold out
Montréal has a large fan base but no stadium's. I have no ticket for JT I am hoping they add a 2nd show so I can try to get a ticket. Only 2 shows in Canada that hurts bad.....

Montreal is also a 4 hr drive, too close. Toronto had plenty of presale tickets right to the end of the 2 day presale window.
[/quote]

Offline fortheloveofmoney

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2017, 09:11:45 AM »
I'm a bit disapointed that the boys are playing so many of the same venues they've played before, and that they are starting out once again in Vancouver.  Someone said previously on another post its because of a tax reason that they rehearse in Canada for a few weeks, but why play in Vancouver and then Seattle? They are so close and Portland again gets no love (the briefcase was returned Bono!).

Does Portland have a stadium ?

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2017, 09:22:29 AM »

Montreal has a stadium, Olympic Stadium.  Sure it sux and is falling apart, but ACDC played there as recently a 2015 and they do have other event's there from time to time.  They couldn't do 360 there because the Claw was too high, but I saw Pop Mart and TJT 1987 tour there.

Offline superstar905

• Stateless
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2017, 09:58:21 AM »
Exactly, they could have played there if they wanted to, but chose Toronto instead.  I saw 360 at the Hippodome and that was great!

Montreal has a stadium, Olympic Stadium.  Sure it sux and is falling apart, but ACDC played there as recently a 2015 and they do have other event's there from time to time.  They couldn't do 360 there because the Claw was too high, but I saw Pop Mart and TJT 1987 tour there.

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2017, 10:04:07 AM »
Exactly, they could have played there if they wanted to, but chose Toronto instead.  I saw 360 at the Hippodome and that was great!

Was there too, first night when he heavens opened up during MOS, great show.

Offline kseguin

• Wanderer
  • Montreal, Newark, Dublin
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2017, 10:32:28 AM »
Both Cleveland and Pittsburgh are only a few hours drive from both Detroit and Buffalo, both don't have dates for the JT tour.  You are only a few hours from Southern Western Ontario (Canada) as well.  A lot of people will make the trek from near Toronto to Cleveland or Pittsburgh if they did not get tickets for Toronto (Cleveland happens to be on a Canadian long weekend too).

I am not surprised Cleveland sold out.

There is huge audience around the great lakes.  Four cities, Chicago, Toronto, Pittsburgh and Cleveland have JT tour dates.  I am sure they willa ll sell out.

Offline danielww2000

• Babyface
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2017, 10:39:57 AM »

What about the gaps in the schedule around Bonnarroo and the two shows in Florida? Raleigh was rumored but didn't happen -- I wonder if it might be because of the bathroom law. Atlanta would seem like a natural but their old dome is about to come down and the new one isn't ready yet.

It does not appear that NC or ATL was scheduled this time around, from my intel. Other than adding the PHX and Detroit markets and another show in Boston and Toronto that's it for this North American leg of the tour at least according to the original plan of the venues holding open dates.