Author Topic: Is Anyone Surprised By The North American Leg Joshua Tree Tour Schedule?  (Read 3672 times)

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
Re: Is Anyone Surprised By The North American Leg Joshua Tree Tour Schedule?
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2017, 10:59:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm a bit disapointed that the boys are playing so many of the same venues they've played before, and that they are starting out once again in Vancouver.  Someone said previously on another post its because of a tax reason that they rehearse in Canada for a few weeks, but why play in Vancouver and then Seattle? They are so close and Portland again gets no love (the briefcase was returned Bono!).

Does Portland have a stadium ?
hahahaha... no.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2017, 12:27:34 PM »
Boston should be getting another show as the plan was to have 2.

What about the gaps in the schedule around Bonnarroo and the two shows in Florida? Raleigh was rumored but didn't happen -- I wonder if it might be because of the bathroom law. Atlanta would seem like a natural but their old dome is about to come down and the new one isn't ready yet.

It does not appear that NC or ATL was scheduled this time around, from my intel. Other than adding the PHX and Detroit markets and another show in Boston and Toronto that's it for this North American leg of the tour at least according to the original plan of the venues holding open dates.   

If I'm not mistaken, the Georgia Dome, in downtown Atlanta, is in the process of being replaced, thus wouldn't have been an option. Turner Field is also being replaced with a new baseball stadium north of town, which is slated to be finished by February. All the same, minus St Louis and Anaheim on the 360° tour, they seem to avoid baseball stadiums. In Atlanta, that would only leave another festival type show at either Chastain or Piedmont parks.

In regards to North Carolina, both Raleigh and Charlotte have stadiums that would be more than suitable, but I wonder if U2 were deliberate in not booking in that state, as subtle protest of the now infamous "bathroom law" that caused Bruce Springsteen, Ringo Starr, Pearl Jam and others to cancel concerts last year (but for the likes of Cyndi Lauper and Mumford & Sons to play and then donate a portion of their profits from said shows to a charity which they felt better reflected their politics than does the aforementioned law).

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 12:45:13 PM »
Exactly, they could have played there if they wanted to, but chose Toronto instead.  I saw 360 at the Hippodome and that was great!

Montréal has a large fan base but no stadium's. I have no ticket for JT I am hoping they add a 2nd show so I can try to get a ticket. Only 2 shows in Canada that hurts bad.....

Montreal is also a 4 hr drive, too close. Toronto had plenty of presale tickets right to the end of the 2 day presale window.

Montreal has a stadium, Olympic Stadium.  Sure it sux and is falling apart, but ACDC played there as recently a 2015 and they do have other event's there from time to time.  They couldn't do 360 there because the Claw was too high, but I saw Pop Mart and TJT 1987 tour there.

Was there too, first night when he heavens opened up during MOS, great show.
You can't use the Olympic Stadium it's hanging on by threads not safe. As they say I have to swallow the pill and wait for next album and tour. Unless someone wants to give me a GA ticket for Toronto I will pay my airfare and hotel I have no car.....lol  I wish....

Offline fortheloveofmoney

• Babyface
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2017, 01:36:12 PM »
I'm a bit disapointed that the boys are playing so many of the same venues they've played before, and that they are starting out once again in Vancouver.  Someone said previously on another post its because of a tax reason that they rehearse in Canada for a few weeks, but why play in Vancouver and then Seattle? They are so close and Portland again gets no love (the briefcase was returned Bono!).

hahahaha... no.

May explain why no love for Portland on a stadium tour

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2017, 01:38:47 PM »

hahahaha... no.

Eugene does.  They played Pop Mart there.  Would be cool to see them back there.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2017, 01:44:38 PM »

hahahaha... no.

Eugene does.  They played Pop Mart there.  Would be cool to see them back there.

Ah yes the PopMart tour.  The most momentous visit to Eugene since Miss Oregon opened the General Store on Main Street.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2017, 01:48:35 PM »

hahahaha... no.

Ah yes the PopMart tour.  The most momentous visit to Eugene since Miss Oregon opened the General Store on Main Street.
Not a big fan of Eugene because I think the college is full of too many Ducks, but the stadium for the University of Nike Oregon is pretty huge.  They get a lot of big shows there.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2017, 02:47:45 PM »

hahahaha... no.

Not a big fan of Eugene because I think the college is full of too many Ducks, but the stadium for the University of Nike Oregon is pretty huge.  They get a lot of big shows there.

I'd love to see a show in that small stadium the Timbers play in.  What's the capacity there?  Looks like a great venue (I have never been inside just seen from the street)

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2017, 03:20:20 PM »
How about the Washington–Grizzly Stadium in Missoula?

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2017, 03:50:27 PM »
How can you have a JT tour and not have a Vegas date?????

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2017, 04:06:32 PM »
How about the Washington–Grizzly Stadium in Missoula?
Since I'm a Montana State Bobcat, I can't go along with that  ;D

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2017, 05:10:16 PM »
How can you have a JT tour and not have a Vegas date?????
or a Sun Devil Stadium date?

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2017, 06:37:33 PM »
Boston should be getting another show as the plan was to have 2.

What about the gaps in the schedule around Bonnarroo and the two shows in Florida? Raleigh was rumored but didn't happen -- I wonder if it might be because of the bathroom law. Atlanta would seem like a natural but their old dome is about to come down and the new one isn't ready yet.

I don't think those were ever realistic rumors (or rumors provided by reliable sources). It seems like the actual tour schedule is pretty close to what was rumored by reliable sources prior to the announcement.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd love for that list posted on another fan site to be true (because it has a Michigan date which would be super convenient for me) but I very much doubt it is. I think at this point the tour is set in stone.

Although, I did just notice something. In the email U2.com sent about the added European dates, they said:

"Four more shows have been added to complete the dates on the European leg of The Joshua Tree Tour 2017."

Compare that to the email about the added North America dates:

"Three more North American dates have been added to 'The Joshua Tree Tour 2017' this summer."

It makes me wonder if there might be plans to add more shows (perhaps in different cities). I'm wondering why they wouldn't use the same language on the NA email as the EU email.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 06:39:57 PM by tigerfan41 »

Offline superstar905

• Stateless
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2017, 09:02:31 PM »

Er, pretty sure the big O is safe, it just hosted the MLS Conference finals between the impact and TFC, 60,000 people..,..

Exactly, they could have played there if they wanted to, but chose Toronto instead.  I saw 360 at the Hippodome and that was great!

Montréal has a large fan base but no stadium's. I have no ticket for JT I am hoping they add a 2nd show so I can try to get a ticket. Only 2 shows in Canada that hurts bad.....

Montreal is also a 4 hr drive, too close. Toronto had plenty of presale tickets right to the end of the 2 day presale window.

Montreal has a stadium, Olympic Stadium.  Sure it sux and is falling apart, but ACDC played there as recently a 2015 and they do have other event's there from time to time.  They couldn't do 360 there because the Claw was too high, but I saw Pop Mart and TJT 1987 tour there.

Was there too, first night when he heavens opened up during MOS, great show.
You can't use the Olympic Stadium it's hanging on by threads not safe. As they say I have to swallow the pill and wait for next album and tour. Unless someone wants to give me a GA ticket for Toronto I will pay my airfare and hotel I have no car.....lol  I wish....

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2017, 03:02:34 AM »

hahahaha... no.

I'd love to see a show in that small stadium the Timbers play in.  What's the capacity there?  Looks like a great venue (I have never been inside just seen from the street)
Ive been a Timbers season ticket holder for the past 7 years.  Its a place every soccer fan needs to attend a soccer match once in their life, but the max capacity is at 20K. Elvis performed there (and Pele played his last match there) but its a tiny stadium.