Author Topic: Spoilers on the front page  (Read 1982 times)

Offline WCF

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Spoilers on the front page
« on: March 02, 2009, 11:44:32 PM »
Hey guys,

Long time lurker of @U2 here. Had an account on the old forums. I actually visit the front page several times a day for news (and due to boredom). I was disappointed today, though, to find that there were spoilers for what U2 were playing on the David Letterman show tonight?

I realize that @U2 has been doing this for a while, for example, with Obama's Inauguration concert, @U2 revealed their setlist before I got to see it on TV(although that time I didn't really mind). It kind of ruins the surprise and anticipation we get when watching these shows. East coasters see these things before us Pacific coasters, and even people who went to tapings of the Letterman show will already know these things, but much of the time I'd rather find out for myself what U2 is going to do at the show.

Of course, I haven't seen too many complaints about this. I'm sure many @U2 users come here for the spoilers. But perhaps there is a way to make it a little more subtle? As it is now, it is right up there on the front page, in bold by an "update" phrase, for everyone to see and so that no one could miss it. Maybe @U2 staff could use invisible text for spoilers on the front page or provide a link to a forum post instead?

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
Re: Spoilers on the front page
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 12:09:44 AM »
To be honest with you, most readers come to @U2 for spoilers - it is their job to inform us of U2 related news   :). That is one of the downsides of the internet - seeing surprises and "secret" concerts turn into dust.

Offline WCF

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: Spoilers on the front page
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 12:35:34 AM »
I believe you. I come here for that kind of stuff too - the secret concert spoiler didn't bother me at all; it's not like I was already anticipating something like that. I think a TV program may be different though - we're all staying glued to the TV praying for certain songs to be played. Since I'd be in the U2 mindset, I'll check @U2 (admittedly not a good idea) and the surprise is spoiled.

As I said before, most fans do come here for the spoilers and the problem is easily avoided. It's kind of like a "user beware" sort of thing. But I just think that a little subtelty couldn't hurt. Invisible text would not stop anyone from finding what they wanted to and it would still be on the front page so that you would know it was there.

Just a small suggestion.