Author Topic: NPR: U2 on The Joshua Tree, a Lasting Ode to a Divided America  (Read 6275 times)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
Re: NPR: U2 on The Joshua Tree, a Lasting Ode to a Divided America
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 06:17:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Aaand this is why people don't like Bono... are you an American Bono? Because last time I checked, you were Irish.
Hey, America is not the world.

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 06:37:20 AM »
There's your answer about whether this tour will be political or not.

It's U2, of course it will be political!

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 06:47:57 AM »
Maybe someone will say to him "Bono, you sure you want to go with that mix?"  And he'll go back to fretting over the new album 😬
Hahahahahahaha! Just choked on my coffee reading that! F'ing funny!

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 06:51:13 AM »
Maybe someone will say to him "Bono, you sure you want to go with that mix?"  And he'll go back to fretting over the new album 😬
Hahahahahahaha! Just choked on my coffee reading that! F'ing funny!
And, so horribly possible!

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 08:08:05 AM »
It'll be interesting to see when the American audience becomes divided

Springsteen already dealt with this. He lost some people who apparently just flat-out didn't 'get' the message of Bruce's albums from Darkness (1978) forward. U2 have always been so overtly political that I can't imagine they haven't weeded out the folks who would actually boycott a band over their politics. If they go after Trump, there may be a smattering of boos, but I think the crowd they draw in America is overwhelmingly either on board with the politics or used to tuning it out. I don't think there will be much squawking.

As for the 'and this is why people don't like Bono/are you American' comment earlier: Bono very clearly states -- and has been stating for the last 30+ years -- that he is in love with the idea of America. He is a FAN of America, and just like any other FAN, when the object of your fandom acts in a way that doesn't 'fit' what you thought they were supposed to be about, it hurts your feelings.

Surely U2 fans can appreciate and relate to that sentiment. :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 03:10:30 PM by Hawkmoon2e »

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 08:12:42 AM »
I don't get this idea that someone must agree with an artist's politics or else they're not a "true fan" and probably never understood their music in the first place. If that's the case then most of my record collection is worthless and I have no business listening to it.

I don't care one way or another what the band believes. I'm just tired of everything needing to be a political or social commentary, especially when the band claims they want to bring people together. You simply can't keep talking politics and expect people from opposite sides of the aisle to be hugging at the end of the night. The music should be able to be speak for itself. The band does better when they tackle issues that everyone can get behind, like fighting AIDS or poverty. When you begin to attack certain candidates and parties it becomes less unifying and unfortunately that's where they've decided to make their bed. They're free to do that but just a glance at the band's Facebook page tells me it's having a more divisive effect than they realize.

But hey, I'm not technically a true fan, so maybe I'm just naive in expecting concerts, films, and video games to entertain me instead of shoving political and social views down my throat.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 08:15:30 AM by Thunder Peel »

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 08:24:43 AM »
I don't get this idea that someone must agree with an artist's politics or else they're not a "true fan" and probably never understood their music in the first place. If that's the case then most of my record collection is worthless and I have no business listening to it.

I don't care one way or another what the band believes. I'm just tired of everything needing to be a political or social commentary, especially when the band claims they want to bring people together. You simply can't keep talking politics and expect people from opposite sides of the aisle to be hugging at the end of the night. The music should be able to be speak for itself. The band does better when they tackle issues that everyone can get behind, like fighting AIDS or poverty. When you begin to attack certain candidates and parties it becomes less unifying and unfortunately that's where they've decided to make their bed. They're free to do that but just a glance at the band's Facebook page tells me it's having a more divisive effect than they realize.

But hey, I'm not technically a true fan, so maybe I'm just naive in expecting concerts, films, and video games to entertain me instead of shoving political and social views down my throat.

But the politics pre-date the activism. You have to remember where U2 come from. They've dealt with conflicts and choosing sides their whole lives, and quite frankly, there are some issues going on in the world -- and mods, I realize I am treading on thin ice here -- where there can be no compromise. You either respect the inherent dignity all human beings, or there's the door. We aren't talking about tax codes and climate change or abortion or other morally ambiguous issues in America right now. We are talking about caring for the sick and feeding the hungry. We are asking ourselves if we are still that shining city on the hill that welcomes all who would come seeking a better life. Your door is either open, or it is closed.

So while I get your point, i.e., you can love the art without agreeing with the politics or religion or the values of an artist, there comes a point where the two can't be separated. There was a time in my young, idealistic days, that I couldn't/wouldn't listen to Guns N Roses, the Stones and Motley Crue, because they were made up of deplorable human beings (in my view at the time). Axl was accused of doing horrible things to an ex-girlfriend in a Rolling Stone article that turned my stomach. There was the offensive album artwork in one of their albums. Mick Jagger has kids all over planet Earth that he doesn't support. Vince Neil from Motley killed a guy in a DUI crash and walked. That kind of thing used to prevent me from enjoying the music. Sometimes, it still impacts what I can listen to or watch. I won't watch Woody Allen or Roman Polanski films. It troubles me when I see the Cosby Show on TV now. The list goes on and on.

I guess what I am trying to say is, re: the message of an artist, there comes a point where we all draw a line in the sand. As Bruce Springsteen says 'if you don't like it, your money is at the door.'

And I will leave it there.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 01:36:28 PM »
Like I said, I know that is teetering on the edge, but I didn't attack anyone's beliefs. I feel relatively certain that someone wouldn't be well-received if they raised the wrong flag at a U2 show. Remember the infamous 'U2 SF' incident from the Joshua Tree Tour?

Again, all apologies if that crossed the line; I was just discussing the line between the art and the artist. I am more than happy to drop it. :)

(But I will say, this tour IS going to get political, so be ready)

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2017, 02:54:04 PM »
Aaand this is why people don't like Bono... are you an American Bono? Because last time I checked, you were Irish.

But America has a massive influence over most other countries on this planet. The Irish-American connection is one of the fundamental personality traits of the US. Bono has every right to express that connection as he interprets it.

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2017, 02:59:46 PM »
Just a quick reminder that forum moderation is not a topic for public discussion.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 03:00:22 PM »

The band has no obligation to cater to your personal feelings at this time, and you have no obligation to follow them in whatever they do. But when you start saying they need to be quiet and behave...

I also think it's hard to say that they are at their best when they don't take political sides when their two most successful album eras were very clearly political, either in the albums themselves or the tours that followed.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 03:19:36 PM »
Just a quick reminder that forum moderation is not a topic for public discussion.

Not being a wise guy, but I have no idea what that means.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 03:30:15 PM »

Let me help......

From those rules:

"Respect our moderators. Forum rules and moderation are not a topic for public discussion. Don't post questions wondering if other members have been disciplined or banned. Be respectful of the moderators in all communications with them, whether on the forum or in private messages"

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 03:46:51 PM »

Let me help......

From those rules:

"Respect our moderators. Forum rules and moderation are not a topic for public discussion. Don't post questions wondering if other members have been disciplined or banned. Be respectful of the moderators in all communications with them, whether on the forum or in private messages"

Ah. I see. Thank you!

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2017, 06:31:38 PM »

The band has no obligation to cater to your personal feelings at this time, and you have no obligation to follow them in whatever they do. But when you start saying they need to be quiet and behave...

I also think it's hard to say that they are at their best when they don't take political sides when their two most successful album eras were very clearly political, either in the albums themselves or the tours that followed.

This exactly. People are free to believe what they want to believe, vote for who they want to vote for, and give their opinion. And that includes the artists themselves. We as fans cannot expect to silence them just as we would not want to be silenced ourselves. If their opinions bother us that much or make us feel disgusted when listening to their music, we have the choice to simply tune out their music and move on. But we can't expect them to cater to our personal beliefs.

It would perhaps be different if U2 were never political in their music before and suddenly decided to be political on this tour. But that is so far from being the case. They have been political dating back to the 80s. Maybe they haven't always been in your face about it consistently, but they have been in your face about it at various points and they've certainly used their platform to repeatedly speak out about social issues, too.

It's just frustrating to see all of the people who are suddenly angry at U2 because of who they happen to oppose this time around. It's as if people were oblivious to who U2 have been for the past 30+ years....or maybe they were fine with what U2 stood for in the past but suddenly aren't now.