Author Topic: NPR: U2 on The Joshua Tree, a Lasting Ode to a Divided America  (Read 6269 times)

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
Re: NPR: U2 on The Joshua Tree, a Lasting Ode to a Divided America
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2017, 08:52:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't get this idea that someone must agree with an artist's politics or else they're not a "true fan" and probably never understood their music in the first place. If that's the case then most of my record collection is worthless and I have no business listening to it.

I don't care one way or another what the band believes. I'm just tired of everything needing to be a political or social commentary, especially when the band claims they want to bring people together. You simply can't keep talking politics and expect people from opposite sides of the aisle to be hugging at the end of the night. The music should be able to be speak for itself. The band does better when they tackle issues that everyone can get behind, like fighting AIDS or poverty. When you begin to attack certain candidates and parties it becomes less unifying and unfortunately that's where they've decided to make their bed. They're free to do that but just a glance at the band's Facebook page tells me it's having a more divisive effect than they realize.

But hey, I'm not technically a true fan, so maybe I'm just naive in expecting concerts, films, and video games to entertain me instead of shoving political and social views down my throat.

The band has no obligation to cater to your personal feelings at this time, and you have no obligation to follow them in whatever they do. But when you start saying they need to be quiet and behave...

I also think it's hard to say that they are at their best when they don't take political sides when their two most successful album eras were very clearly political, either in the albums themselves or the tours that followed.

It's just frustrating to see all of the people who are suddenly angry at U2 because of who they happen to oppose this time around. It's as if people were oblivious to who U2 have been for the past 30+ years....or maybe they were fine with what U2 stood for in the past but suddenly aren't now.

This exactly.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2017, 09:07:40 PM »
U2's getting a lot of positive publicity thanks to TJT Anniversary tour. So far, media reactions have been mostly positive. Very smart move, especially releasing SoE during the tour or at its tail end.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2017, 10:22:33 PM »
Some of us have been annoyed with the politics since the 80's. Nothing new in these complaints. I don't even always disagree. Sometimes it's just the delivery that annoys.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 10:43:48 PM »
Some of us have been annoyed with the politics since the 80's. Nothing new in these complaints. I don't even always disagree. Sometimes it's just the delivery that annoys.

It can make a concert drag a little bit, but so far I haven't found a better option for communicating the message and being honest with themselves.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2017, 11:47:30 PM »

It can make a concert drag a little bit, but so far I haven't found a better option for communicating the message and being honest with themselves.

Yeah, it's never really bothered me. Even when I've disagreed with certain things. As long as I'm getting 2+ hours of music, I couldn't care less about their speeches. I came for the music and so long as I get that, I'm happy.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2017, 01:36:21 AM »
Maybe someone will say to him "Bono, you sure you want to go with that mix?"  And he'll go back to fretting over the new album 😬

Why do I get the feeling that we are entering the phase of this band's career where, like all the greats before them, fretting over the new album takes a back seat to how the old ones are going to be re-packaged?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 12:43:31 PM by This Dave »

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2017, 11:22:39 AM »
Maybe someone will say to him "Bono, you sure you want to go with that mix?"  And he'll go back to fretting over the new album 😬

Why do I get the feeling that we are entering he phase of this band's career where, like all the greats before them, fretting over the new album takes a back seat to how the old ones are going to be re-packaged?
Because that is exactly what is happening. SOE is being delayed while the band focuses on touring and remixing an album they made almost 30 years ago.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2017, 12:13:51 PM »

Why do I get the feeling that we are entering he phase of this band's career where, like all the greats before them, fretting over the new album takes a back seat to how the old ones are going to be re-packaged?
Because that is exactly what is happening. SOE is being delayed while the band focuses on touring and remixing an album they made almost 30 years ago.

And am I the only one dying of anticipation over the forthcoming 50th anniversary edition of Cartoon World?

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2017, 12:50:11 PM »

That's why I've been surprised by the general approval of the Memberberries Tour around this forum. Even a year or two ago, I feel like most fans would have said "That's BS, make more new music". Have we given up? It's undeniable that "There are no reverse gears on this tank" no longer applies. The band is now embarking on a lucrative crowd-pleaser for the causal fan who can't name 5 songs they've made since 1987, and I'm not sure if I can muster an ounce of belief that they are "burning up with ideas" or whatever the line of the moment is. Kind of in mourning. I know a lot of people are going to disagree with this, but I'm 90% sure U2 is basically done. We all used to talk about how they'd never become a Greatest Hits band, but would that surprise a single one of you now?

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2017, 01:08:01 PM »
I guess I'm one of the 90%...I don't think they are almost done. They may not be as raw and desperate in their songwriting and performing as they once were, but as stated before, some mellowing comes with age. They are still quite energetic and intense on stage. Still rocking. I don't know how many more really, really rocking songs they will come up with, but they are still in the game.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2017, 01:14:23 PM »
I guess I'm one of the 90%...I don't think they are almost done. They may not be as raw and desperate in their songwriting and performing as they once were, but as stated before, some mellowing comes with age. They are still quite energetic and intense on stage. Still rocking. I don't know how many more really, really rocking songs they will come up with, but they are still in the game.

I don't mean "done" as far as ability to perform onstage. I mean done as a band which is earnestly trying to make their greatest work yet with each album. The Stones, Aerosmith, etc. can continue to put out albums full of songs you'll never hear as a pretense for touring, but we all know they are greatest hits acts now. U2 was supposed to be the band who never went that route. 

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2017, 01:48:48 PM »

That's why I've been surprised by the general approval of the Memberberries Tour around this forum. Even a year or two ago, I feel like most fans would have said "That's BS, make more new music". Have we given up? It's undeniable that "There are no reverse gears on this tank" no longer applies. The band is now embarking on a lucrative crowd-pleaser for the causal fan who can't name 5 songs they've made since 1987, and I'm not sure if I can muster an ounce of belief that they are "burning up with ideas" or whatever the line of the moment is. Kind of in mourning. I know a lot of people are going to disagree with this, but I'm 90% sure U2 is basically done. We all used to talk about how they'd never become a Greatest Hits band, but would that surprise a single one of you now?
I generally agree. The first sign of this was during the Glastonbury period, where they played AB heavy set, released the box set, and made the documentary. That was a memberberry cash in right there. But they have taken it up a notch with this tour. Does it bother me personally? No.. I'm more than happy to be watching them live again.
I am excited for new material, but I am a realist and my expectations are low.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2017, 01:56:08 PM »
The irritating and cringeworthy aspect of this is watching band interviews where they deny that they're becoming more of a heritage act..they don't exactly have to own up or use that label but I would prefer the edge to show more respect to fans by admitting they're happy to look back and give fans what they want..or words to that effect.. instead of the corporate lines he came out with that really didn't stack up too well imo.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2017, 02:06:58 PM »

I generally agree. The first sign of this was during the Glastonbury period, where they played AB heavy set, released the box set, and made the documentary. That was a memberberry cash in right there. But they have taken it up a notch with this tour. Does it bother me personally? No.. I'm more than happy to be watching them live again.
I am excited for new material, but I am a realist and my expectations are low.

I didn't want think it was a big deal in the context of Glastonbury, because it was one show, and the Glastonbury crowd would be there regardless of which songs they played. Making a documentary about a really important and unique album didn't seem like a threat to moving forward at the time. 

It's different now. They are quite literally doing an entire tour of memberberries INSTEAD OF putting out the new album we were supposed to be so excited about. And whether intentionally or not, the target market for this tour is the absolute most casual of fans. If you found out that the opener was Bono arriving onstage in a horse-drawn carriage wearing a cowboy hat and vest while The Sweetest Thing plays before jumping down to wave a white flag in front of a flaming rock while singing the "Yeah yeah" part of Vertigo, how shocked would you be? Right now, maybe a 5 out of 10. Two years ago, you would have been 20 out of 10.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2017, 02:08:39 PM »
The irritating and cringeworthy aspect of this is watching band interviews where they deny that they're becoming more of a heritage act..they don't exactly have to own up or use that label but I would prefer the edge to show more respect to fans by admitting they're happy to look back and give fans what they want..or words to that effect.. instead of the corporate lines he came out with that really didn't stack up too well imo.

Denying that while promoting your heritage tour is like sitting there eating a donut during the interview while denying you are eating a donut. I mean, if they are not, then can someone explain what the standard is? How does one tell if a band has become a heritage act?