Author Topic: NPR: U2 on The Joshua Tree, a Lasting Ode to a Divided America  (Read 6270 times)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Re: NPR: U2 on The Joshua Tree, a Lasting Ode to a Divided America
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2017, 02:21:58 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
How does one tell if a band has become a heritage act?

Having a Joshua Tree Tour in 2017 is one indication....

Offline Izzy

• Numb
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2017, 02:29:24 PM »

Yeah but there's new remixes so....

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2017, 02:45:01 PM »
'blame' livenation for this IMHO...

i feel it is very clear that the main reason this thing is happening is because it is the compromise that the band reached with livenation as they wanted a payday as a part of the big deal they inked.

had u2 been more active over the last 6/7 years i have no doubt this wouldn't be happening.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2017, 03:08:02 PM »
Maybe someone will say to him "Bono, you sure you want to go with that mix?"  And he'll go back to fretting over the new album 😬

Why do I get the feeling that we are entering he phase of this band's career where, like all the greats before them, fretting over the new album takes a back seat to how the old ones are going to be re-packaged?
Because that is exactly what is happening. SOE is being delayed while the band focuses on touring and remixing an album they made almost 30 years ago.

And am I the only one dying of anticipation over the forthcoming 50th anniversary edition of Cartoon World?
Count me in, if and only if they also play Street Mission.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2017, 03:19:24 PM »

That's kind of my point. If I had told you all about this a year ago with the band and album name removed, there isn't a single person here who wouldn't have voted "Heritage Act". I'd like to hear a counter-argument that doesn't read like starting with the conclusion and trying to backfill the proof.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2017, 03:20:47 PM »

i feel it is very clear that the main reason this thing is happening is because it is the compromise that the band reached with livenation as they wanted a payday as a part of the big deal they inked.

had u2 been more active over the last 6/7 years i have no doubt this wouldn't be happening.

Oh come on. Livenation needs a tour contractually? Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Songs of Experience tour.

The end

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2017, 03:39:39 PM »

Oh come on. Livenation needs a tour contractually? Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Songs of Experience tour.

The end

Not that simple is it....

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2017, 05:13:35 PM »

The end

Why not? If they owe LiveNation a tour, why can't they tour their new album? Did they sign some sort of agreement with LiveNation to do a Memberberries tour? If so, that's on U2. If not, then what does LiveNation have to do with this being JT tour?

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2017, 06:33:19 PM »
There's an interesting comment from bono on the Facebook extra questions at the very end where he says they originally only planned to do 10 shows (and I quote) "but then we had to do Europe so became 20"

Why did they have to and who twisted their arms..? Open to interpretation, but suspect there must always be compromise between the artist and the business.. even with heavy weights like u2.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2017, 06:38:00 PM »

From the sky down documentary, AB master package and the Glastonbury performance which basically promoted AB. Plus all the remastered box sets that seem to come out every couple of years and haven't they released multiple greatest hits albums?

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2017, 06:51:20 PM »

From the sky down documentary, AB master package and the Glastonbury performance which basically promoted AB. Plus all the remastered box sets that seem to come out every couple of years and haven't they released multiple greatest hits albums?

The greatest hits albums are no big deal as long as they are moving forward at a good pace, although the 80's one had a hell of a lot more to offer in terms of extras and original B-sides.

We are chronologically running out of greatest hits though.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2017, 09:11:38 PM »

The end

Why not? If they owe LiveNation a tour, why can't they tour their new album? Did they sign some sort of agreement with LiveNation to do a Memberberries tour? If so, that's on U2. If not, then what does LiveNation have to do with this being JT tour?

An tha is right in that, if they had been more active, they wouldn't have toured TJT this year. But that's only because 2017 likely would have been an off-year in that scenario. Think about it. 360 tour from 2009-2011. 2012 off year. 2013 work on new album, 2014 release it. 2015 through 2016, world tour with SoE hitting the shelves in early 2016 before the last legs of the tour. 2017, year off. 2018, work on new album and release toward the tail end of 2018. 2019, tour it. And so on.

The only thing I can think of is, like An Tha suggested, U2 were meant to tour this year but didn't have SoE polished enough to release. It's the 30th anniversary of TJT, so why not do a quick tour of that to fulfill their end of the deal? Except LN didn't just want 10 dates, they wanted U.S. and Europe. So it turned into a slightly longer tour. Now instead of having perhaps 5 months off before the continuation of I&E, they instead have 4 and will likely be spending some of that promoting the new album on the various shows.

I'm going to bet that when they did the Christmas video, the intent was to only do a limited 10 show run. That's why they probably felt comfortable promising SoE in 2017, because they figured they'd get a quick tour done (satisfy LN and the fans), have most of the year to relax and put the finishing touches on SoE. Except that's not what happened and now they're going to be doing an almost full fledged tour of Europe and U.S., plus finishing SoE, plus going back on tour again in early 2018.

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2017, 10:25:07 PM »

The end

JT30 is a sure shot for $$$.  SOE could be viewed as hit or miss. Especially with the time it's taking to get their sh** together. They are losing what little momentum they had with SOI.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:39:20 PM by Kmama07 »

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2017, 11:10:59 PM »
U2 were meant to tour this year but didn't have SoE polished enough to release

The SOE album and tour were meant to happen last fall (2016). And I fully believe the JT Tour 2017 is only happening because of contractual obligations.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2017, 11:31:40 PM »

The end

Which would you guess makes more money, an arena tour or a stadium tour?