Author Topic: Any Atheist U2 Fans here?  (Read 14474 times)

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
Re: Any Atheist U2 Fans here?
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2017, 05:25:30 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I do believe there is something out there beyond this world but I also believe that whatever it is that is out there is not necessarily responsible for all of what goes on in our world.  I.E starving children, poverty, illness.
To quote one of The Fly "aphorisms", the fault is not of God.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 05:27:22 AM by DoYouFeelLoved »

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2017, 07:23:28 AM »
I do believe there is something out there beyond this world but I also believe that whatever it is that is out there is not necessarily responsible for all of what goes on in our world.  I.E starving children, poverty, illness.
Then nor is praise deserved.. By the same logic...

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2017, 07:48:17 AM »
This thread probably has a shorter life expectancy than a snail on a highway...
I think you said that in an earlier post...but it's still going...energizer bunny stuff, I guess.
True. Must have run out of coffee in the mods lounge.

Long may it prosper!

Nope still here - fingers hovering over the keyboard....  8)

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2017, 07:49:47 AM »
Then nor is praise deserved.. By the same logic...
It wasn't my intention to start a debate about that, it was just humour, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2017, 07:56:58 AM »
I'm definitely anti-humour, I've tried to make that very clear in my time here...

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2017, 08:05:59 AM »
I'm definitely anti-humour, I've tried to make that very clear in my time here...
*chuckles*

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2017, 09:47:56 AM »

I think it was actually GUILT IS NOT OF GOD.

I reconcile the question of how suffering can exist in a world with a loving God with the concept of free will. Problems are man-made, not God-made. God didn't create little mindless zombies or robots. He seeks fellowship and relationship with us and love from us. You cannot force love. Hence, we are free to choose how we live our lives. We are free to do as we please. We are free to seek only our own carnal pleasures, safety and comfort and the expense of others, but this choice will always lead to suffering. That's what 'sin' is. Sin is not sleeping in on Sunday or eating shrimp. Sin is hurting others.

IMO.

Offline u2fanBarb...barely conscious

• Stateless
  • Hangin' by my thumbs...
« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2017, 10:05:02 AM »
I am glad to read that there are many like- minded individuals who are U2 fans. I've often had trouble reconciling my atheism with their beliefs- but I am always reminded of their honesty- and I appreciate that.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2017, 10:18:45 AM »
Going back to the debate about why God would "allow" bad things to happen:

Not to get into this debate, but that point of view, to me, only enables us to think that if bad things happen, then those bad things are justified by the sins of the people they happen to.  It's a way to believe the world is fundamentally just and fair.  "Bad things happen to bad people," or at least because of them.  It's karma.

Whereas I believe that bad things happen to good people.  I don't really believe in karma--there are far too many awful people who have lives far too blessed--and I think the universe is ultimately unknowable and beyond any concepts we have of fairness or justice.  I know that doesn't exactly provide inspiration or anything, but there you go.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2017, 12:53:09 PM »

Not to get into this debate, but that point of view, to me, only enables us to think that if bad things happen, then those bad things are justified by the sins of the people they happen to.  It's a way to believe the world is fundamentally just and fair.  "Bad things happen to bad people," or at least because of them.  It's karma.

Whereas I believe that bad things happen to good people.  I don't really believe in karma--there are far too many awful people who have lives far too blessed--and I think the universe is ultimately unknowable and beyond any concepts we have of fairness or justice.  I know that doesn't exactly provide inspiration or anything, but there you go.

There's a chapter in my book called "S**t Happens (Or, the Excruciating Disruption of Power," and it deals with the problem of evil in some detail.

PM me for a signed copy....

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2017, 01:20:40 PM »

I don't think it is a belief that bad things happen to good people. Bad things happen to everyone. Good things happen to everyone. No one is immune from suffering, and no one gets through life without some difficulty. I can't speak to other faiths, but I don't understand how any Christian can subscribe to the 'bad things happen to bad people, and if something bad happens to you, you must have deserved it' point-of-view. I don't understand that at all.

Ultimately, you are 100 percent correct, IMO, in saying that some things are just beyond our grasp. That's the reason believers are called 'people of faith' rather than 'people of certainty'. In my humble opinion, science is also a kind of faith, because for every one thing we learn and understand, there are a million more we don't, and science is always changing. When they do it. it is called 'learning' but when people of faith do it, it is called 'revisionism' or 'moving the goalposts'.

I think the world would be a better place if everyone would just admit that on matters of religion and science, we are doing the best we can to learn about the world around us, but none of us is really certain of anything. The problem is, there's an ocean of knowledge, and we only have little paper cups to contain it.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2017, 01:43:58 PM »
I agree with a lot of what you've said here, Saint. I am "a person of faith", and I live with a scientist. We share our knowledge, and our beliefs with each other, and blend it all into a kind of synergistic life. It works. (most of the time  :D)

Offline fez333

• Babyface
« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2017, 03:43:52 PM »
Sorry I am articulately sound as everyone else here.  I am just a uneducated U2 fan.

Offline jenniferh aka jen

« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2017, 12:37:42 AM »
I'm an atheist and I'm not going to develop because I don't want this thread to go aloof but... As it was said, I think the band, and Bono in particular, have a way of developing themes that can speak to most people, whatever their beliefs are.

I also believe every faith is powerful incentive, for better or worse, and U2, including Adam as a "non believer" have turned faith into music. For the better.

he's a believer now.
Really? I didn't know that. Is there a quote somewhere?

No, Adam is still not a "believer" and was not "saved". He's a guy that is spiritual but that does not mean he's religious or believes in a god. I know a lot of people want him to be, but it's not necessary to believe in a god to be spiritual. He's respectful and the zen path he's chosen works quite well for him as it's obvious that he chooses to find inner peace within himself and doesn't require a religion to give him that peace.

Plus, I think he balances bono quite well as a result.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2017, 01:53:33 AM »
In Ancient Egypt, cats were worshipped as gods. What happened to that?