Author Topic: Private Concerts  (Read 5730 times)

Offline This Dave

• Numb
Private Concerts
« on: April 03, 2017, 01:23:42 PM »
I'm of two minds on this latest story.

1) This is another nail in the coffin. They're now doing private performances, which at one time we'd all have agreed is on the "Thou shalt not" list. You can't blame this one on LiveNation. Jesus, guys, do you really need the money?

2) Johnny Ive has been friends with Bono for about 10 years now. Maybe this isn't what it looks like. Maybe I'm flying off the handle. Maybe not.

Offline Jswallow

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Private Concerts
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 01:28:52 PM »
Has to be an April fool story, can't see them ever doing this

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 01:38:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Has to be an April fool story, can't see them ever doing this

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Home page confirms it isn't.

monopoly

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 02:20:39 PM »
Pretty sure it's real. Zoom in on Bono, I've never seen a tribute act look as close to the real bono as the one in the picture does. He's even wearing the current glasses.

What's wrong with doing private concerts?

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 02:34:16 PM »
Pretty sure it's real. Zoom in on Bono, I've never seen a tribute act look as close to the real bono as the one in the picture does. He's even wearing the current glasses.

What's wrong with doing private concerts?

It's a matter of opinion, but that's long been considered kind of a "sell-out" move. In this particular case, it's somewhat dependent on whether this was a favor for a friend, or a big payday from Ive/Apple.

I really don't like the Sellout Police in general, but I'm bringing it up now because we've been recently seeing them do some things we thought they wouldn't do (nostalgia tour), and I'm wondering if they've hit a point where they're just like "Screw it, everyone else does it".
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 05:16:38 PM by This Dave »

Spacejunk69

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 04:15:26 PM »
Seriously. The band sells out because they play a private concert for some friends?

They are 100000000000000% entitled to do whatever they want, play to whom ever they want, when they want and how they want. This is the most ridiculous thread/argument I've ever seen. So what if they want to play a tiny unannounced gig somewhere. Seriously - some of you have a problem with that?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 10:20:44 PM by m2 »

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 04:37:50 PM »
i mean what about the Clinton Library show from Nov. 2011? wouldn't that be a private show?

and no this isn't a problem to me at all.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 05:18:29 PM »
If they play a free show for a friends birthday, no issue at all.  If they got paid to play a birthday party then Im basically at the place that the U2 I grew up with is long gone. As long as the paycheque is big enough they will be at a birthday, wedding, bar mitzvah near you. Pretty sad.

For those who say no big deal, I disagree. It cheapens the music. A song like One, With or Without You, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bad, Pride,etc... Those songs are all emotion and passion. To sing them for some suits at a birthday party for a big cheque cheapens those songs and everything they used to stand for. I just hope they played for free for a friend.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 05:21:16 PM »
i mean what about the Clinton Library show from Nov. 2011? wouldn't that be a private show?

and no this isn't a problem to me at all.

Clinton library was televised and could be considered a historical event. It wasn't someone's living room for a paycheck (which may not be a fair description of this recent performance).

I don't know; it just seems like we all used to say "One of the things that makes U2 special is they don't do this kind of stuff", and now they seem to be venturing into said "stuff" and we switch gears to saying it doesn't count.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 05:25:01 PM »
If they play a free show for a friends birthday, no issue at all.  If they got paid to play a birthday party then Im basically at the place that the U2 I grew up with is long gone. As long as the paycheque is big enough they will be at a birthday, wedding, bar mitzvah near you. Pretty sad.

For those who say no big deal, I disagree. It cheapens the music. A song like One, With or Without You, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bad, Pride,etc... Those songs are all emotion and passion. To sing them for some suits at a birthday party for a big cheque cheapens those songs and everything they used to stand for. I just hope they played for free for a friend.

This is my take exactly. You have to admit there is a difference between them going out because they are inspired and have something to say vs being a band for hire whenever someone writes a check (JUST AN EXAMPLE, I AM NOT SAYING THEY ARE DOING THAT, OR THAT IF IT THE CASE THAT THIS WAS A PAID GIG THAT IT MEANS THEY DO IT ALL THE TIME).

It is fine for them to do that, but a price is paid in sacrificing a certain specialness and mystique.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 05:30:32 PM »
wow. i never thought this kinda stuff was a problem. their being paid to play everywhere. i don't see the size of the event being an issue. if i'm Elon Musk and want to pay U2 to play my bday, good for me. If they play, why is that an issue? it doesn't cheapen the music cuz their playing a small private event for money.

monopoly

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 05:33:18 PM »
Eh I'm perfectly fine with it. If they broadcasted it, would that make it better? It seems like some are frustrated that this concert wasn't open to the public. It's supposed to be private anyways, we're not even supposed to know about it. The meaning of the songs don't change at all for me.

If I could afford u2 at my wedding, I wouldn't think twice. I'd even request acrobat, exit, and sleep like a baby.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 05:52:54 PM »
Meh...  I'm inclined to believe it was an impromptu performance at a buddy's party, given that Adam needed to borrow someone's bass.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 05:53:15 PM »
Eh I'm perfectly fine with it. If they broadcasted it, would that make it better? It seems like some are frustrated that this concert wasn't open to the public. It's supposed to be private anyways, we're not even supposed to know about it. The meaning of the songs don't change at all for me.

If I could afford u2 at my wedding, I wouldn't think twice. I'd even request acrobat, exit, and sleep like a baby.

right their saying the issue is it cheapens the music. i don't get how.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 06:09:39 PM »
I fail to see how this is selling out. They played a gig for a guy who at least Bono (and possibly Edge) are friends with, someone who probably worked with them on the SoI album release and perhaps even the U2 special edition iPod--as well as any other Apple tie-ins. This is almost akin to playing for Steve Jobs (if he were still alive) or Tim Cook--Ive is that big of a deal at Apple. Not only that, but the gig was probably a nice way to warm up for their upcoming tour.

If they were playing for just anyone (like a rich kid's birthday party) and getting paid big $$$$ to do so, then I'd be worried. But playing for a friend's 50th b-day? No big deal.