Author Topic: Private Concerts  (Read 5728 times)

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
Re: Private Concerts
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 06:23:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Meh...  I'm inclined to believe it was an impromptu performance at a buddy's party, given that Adam needed to borrow someone's bass.
+1

Offline mcpaulson22

• Babyface
  • Ill see you again when the stars fall from the sky
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 09:48:02 PM »
Meh...  I'm inclined to believe it was an impromptu performance at a buddy's party, given that Adam needed to borrow someone's bass.
+1

Good point! Even if they got paid, nothing to lose sleep over. Didn't even come across my mind as 'selling out'. Hope the boys put on a good concert.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 09:57:56 PM »
yea seriously. when the JT tour kicks off is anyone really gonna have less fun or even remember this nothing of a show? of course not.

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2017, 10:30:25 PM »
I'm pretty sure they've performed at friends' weddings -- maybe not the whole band, but just a member or two. Andrea Corr? Gavin Friday? Others? When they do that, is it objectionable? I can't imagine Bono and Adam charging Jony Ive for a performance at his birthday. Right? They've been close friends for a decade or more.

It feels to me like we've reached a point where fans are looking for things to get upset about. It's like when you get on Twitter in the morning and ask, "What are we all angry about today?"

One last point: I don't think this was a paid/corporate gig, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did a few such gigs all the way back in the 80s. I could see it being done for Island/Warner Brothers people ... or Polygram people after they bought Island ... etc. Difference being that social media didn't exist back then, so there was no opportunity for anyone to tell the world what was going on.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2017, 10:40:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure they've performed at friends' weddings -- maybe not the whole band, but just a member or two. Andrea Corr? Gavin Friday? Others? When they do that, is it objectionable? I can't imagine Bono and Adam charging Jony Ive for a performance at his birthday. Right? They've been close friends for a decade or more.

It feels to me like we've reached a point where fans are looking for things to get upset about. It's like when you get on Twitter in the morning and ask, "What are we all angry about today?"

One last point: I don't think this was a paid/corporate gig, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did a few such gigs all the way back in the 80s. I could see it being done for Island/Warner Brothers people ... or Polygram people after they bought Island ... etc. Difference being that social media didn't exist back then, so there was no opportunity for anyone to tell the world what was going on.

this. first the JT nostalgia tour with no new album in sight, now this.

again, in a month no one is gonna bring this thing up.

monopoly

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2017, 10:54:26 PM »

this. first the JT nostalgia tour with no new album in sight, now this.

again, in a month no one is gonna bring this thing up.

Not arguing but there was a little decent reason to be upset with postponing SOE. We all really thought it was coming. A anniversary tour is out of the ordinary for u2 so of course there was suspicion of the real purpose. Even after their trump explanation, I'm finding it a little difficult to see how they feel a need to do a whole tour based on the state of the world. Regardless, I'm very happy with the band and what they're doing.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2017, 11:37:10 PM »
the thing is, if you know the band, i mean really follow them, they do the "album coming, oops no it's not" often. yea, we have MORE reason to believe it this time but nonetheless, they distracted us with the JT tour and gave us "uhhh were finishing the album! new ideas! trump! " etc. yes, of the things i've listed that people take issue with, the only one i have a problem with to any extent is no new album, and that i knew wasn't guaranteed.

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2017, 12:08:16 AM »
For Andrea Corr, I would perform.

Spacejunk69

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2017, 12:11:29 AM »
Like more than one person has noted and that it was clearly noted in the @U2 news story on the home page - Adam did not have his guitar with him. There is no way on earth that this was a gig they got paid for. It was unplanned and impromptu - Im certain of that. If they did get paid for it, I will be the first to hold my hand up apologize and say wow! Not a cat in hells chance - this was a free gig for some friends. That's them selling out? People have a problem with that? Good grief. Im shocked, so shocked at the reaction of some on this. The band owe you absolutely NOTHING. They can do whatever they want.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2017, 01:09:13 AM »
I attached some "if"s to my original statement. Those conditions don't seem to have been met, so I withdraw it.

Offline benpoke

• Refugee
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2017, 01:57:46 AM »

Me too.  That drum kit is certainly not Larry's.  And Adam Clayton is standing on the wrong side of the stage to normal, so they're clearly just using another band's backline.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2017, 05:28:55 AM »
I agree with M2...some fans just go looking for something to be upset about. People, life is way too short to worry about such things. Just be happy that they are still performing!

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2017, 05:41:35 AM »
1/Since it's a private gig and we only knew because of someone posted it on Twitter, it's safe to assume they might have done it before...
2/Would it change your view if you knew all proceeds went to charity ? (I don't know, but since we don't know much about this, it's an hypothesis we have to consider)
3/I guess this comes in the  category of "U2 don't owe us anything", i/e they're free to do what they want. Am I jealous ? Hell yeah, I wish I could be there. But that's not gonna make me angry at the band.
4/There was a show in a Paris club called the Man Ray during the club tour to promote ATYCLB. This show was, in my opinion, far worse : the gig was advertised as a "secret gig for fans" but ended up as being a VIP party upstairs with a whole business that the club owners kept for themselves, U2 being wallpaper music to a VIP event.

Offline Izzy

• Numb
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2017, 08:13:40 AM »
They've been playing private gigs for quite some time.

Amazing how in-funny this is.

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2017, 08:29:40 AM »
Pretty sure it's real. Zoom in on Bono, I've never seen a tribute act look as close to the real bono as the one in the picture does. He's even wearing the current glasses.

What's wrong with doing private concerts?
...and those glasses are so awful. They really date him.