Author Topic: Private Concerts  (Read 5731 times)

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
Re: Private Concerts
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2017, 09:08:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm pretty sure they've performed at friends' weddings -- maybe not the whole band, but just a member or two. Andrea Corr? Gavin Friday? Others? When they do that, is it objectionable? I can't imagine Bono and Adam charging Jony Ive for a performance at his birthday. Right? They've been close friends for a decade or more.

It feels to me like we've reached a point where fans are looking for things to get upset about. It's like when you get on Twitter in the morning and ask, "What are we all angry about today?"

One last point: I don't think this was a paid/corporate gig, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did a few such gigs all the way back in the 80s. I could see it being done for Island/Warner Brothers people ... or Polygram people after they bought Island ... etc. Difference being that social media didn't exist back then, so there was no opportunity for anyone to tell the world what was going on.
Yup. Exactly.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2017, 11:32:03 AM »
It feels to me like we've reached a point where fans are looking for things to get upset about. It's like when you get on Twitter in the morning and ask, "What are we all angry about today?"

Yep. Welcome to online message boards for bands. Or the Internet even, in general.

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2017, 12:25:08 PM »
I really couldn't give a s#*t to be honest, Who cares what private gigs they do!? Seriously, this is the bad part of the internet, Stop moaning and look forward to the tour starting :D I'm just glad these guys are still making music and touring, and aren't quite ready to pack in leaving us with the chart crap that gets served up nowadays

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2017, 12:31:22 PM »
well it seems the first few replies were the only ones mad. the rest are using common sense and realizing it's just complaining to complain.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2017, 02:11:55 PM »
well it seems the first few replies were the only ones mad. the rest are using common sense and realizing it's just complaining to complain.

To be fair, the ones accused of "complaining" (myself included) all prefaced it by writing "If the band were compensated". No one is complaining if like M2 said it was likely a free show for a friend. But please carry on, because as one of the "complainers" i obviously have no common sense.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2017, 03:50:07 PM »

To be fair, the ones accused of "complaining" (myself included) all prefaced it by writing "If the band were compensated". No one is complaining if like M2 said it was likely a free show for a friend. But please carry on, because as one of the "complainers" i obviously have no common sense.

it doesnt matter if they got paid.

Spacejunk69

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2017, 05:20:06 PM »

No. It does not. If they did this for free, or for money, it is no concern of ours and nobody should be concerned or put out by it. Absolutely ridiculous.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2017, 06:04:48 PM »

maybe not to you, but some have different opinions on the matter

Offline MattD

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2017, 06:11:40 PM »
Pretty insignificant. Playing a gig for Salesforce was the real problem. Pathetic actually.

How very rock n roll.....

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2017, 06:22:18 PM »

maybe not to you, but some have different opinions on the matter

so help me understand. is this a bigger issue than the ipod, blackberry, or the itunes deal? i mean i'm not sure where the line is drawn. so many have said that each of those is the ultimate sell out move. are those that think this is a huge sell out move equating it to being in apples back pocket or whatever? i'm not trying to argue i'm just trying to see how it's different, or is it not different?

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2017, 06:22:40 PM »
Pretty insignificant. Playing a gig for Salesforce was the real problem. Pathetic actually.

was that the Vegas show last summer?

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2017, 06:45:34 PM »

No, that was the one in California, if I recall correctly. The Vegas one was iHeartRadio.

monopoly

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2017, 08:59:57 PM »

No, that was the one in California, if I recall correctly. The Vegas one was iHeartRadio.

I'm betting that show was the inspiration for a JT tour. The stage layout is pretty similar to the map.

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2017, 12:17:30 AM »

At least the proceeds from the Salesforce gig went to charity....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2017, 09:46:15 PM »

I'm betting that show was the inspiration for a JT tour. The stage layout is pretty similar to the map.

The one in Cali? If I remember correctly, they used parts of the Vertigo stadium stage for that.