Author Topic: Red Hill Mining Town - World exclusive play on Dave Fanning Show  (Read 15660 times)

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
Re: Red Hill Mining Town - World exclusive play on Dave Fanning Show
« Reply #135 on: May 20, 2017, 02:59:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
As I stated in my previous comment, I don't think there were many fans expecting him to hit all of the high notes of that song live as it is sung on the album.  We all knew they would change it.  So what I'm hearing now is that his performance of the verses was also below expectations.

All of Bono singing is below expectations. Well that may be an exaggeration, but what is obvious is that he is very sloppy in his vocal delivery live these days. It's hard to really notice when you're there since it's so loud and there are lots of distractions. But if you take the time to actually listen to his vocals from a performance perspective, he's mostly just shouting or talking the lines with little regard to actually hitting the notes.

I realize that this is A-OK for most people. But I find it frustrating. I want to hear him hit that falsetto note in Pride ("a shot rings out in the Memphis sky-y") but he rarely even tries.

Do we think Edge is playing more sloppily than before?  Or Adam, or Larry?  Or is it just Bono whose let his standards drop?  When did this sloppiness creep into his singing?  This tour (we're only a few dates in), SOI, 360?

I am not a professional singer so I really can't judge the skill of his singing, but from what I can hear as a fan of the music, Bono is doing the best he can  with the voice he's got, aged 57, and it sounds good to me.  I am surprised how often people on this forum comment that he lacks the "power" he had 30 years ago, or can't hit the notes he did then, as surely none of us expect him to have super-human powers.
Agreed...I think Bono is doing a fine job. Some of those songs are tough to sing, the notes are hard to reach, and hard to hold. I'm just thankful that he's still singing, and still trying his best, and doing his best.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #136 on: May 20, 2017, 05:28:17 PM »
As I stated in my previous comment, I don't think there were many fans expecting him to hit all of the high notes of that song live as it is sung on the album.  We all knew they would change it.  So what I'm hearing now is that his performance of the verses was also below expectations.

All of Bono singing is below expectations. Well that may be an exaggeration, but what is obvious is that he is very sloppy in his vocal delivery live these days. It's hard to really notice when you're there since it's so loud and there are lots of distractions. But if you take the time to actually listen to his vocals from a performance perspective, he's mostly just shouting or talking the lines with little regard to actually hitting the notes.

I realize that this is A-OK for most people. But I find it frustrating. I want to hear him hit that falsetto note in Pride ("a shot rings out in the Memphis sky-y") but he rarely even tries.

Do we think Edge is playing more sloppily than before?  Or Adam, or Larry?  Or is it just Bono whose let his standards drop?  When did this sloppiness creep into his singing?  This tour (we're only a few dates in), SOI, 360?

It's apples and oranges. Barring arthritis (or a bicycle accident), a guitar player's ability to play certain notes won't decline. If anything, those skills will increase. But it's different with a singer. Things like age and smoking can cause a voice to deteriorate in ways that just aren't true of a guitarist.

And to answer your question, Bono's voice started going drastically downhill in 1996. You can hear it on Pop and Popmart, and while he has had periodic steps forward, he has never regained the control, power, or range that he had from '84 to '94.

And couple with all this the performance factor. When you watch that Elvis Costello appearance, you see that Bono did a superb job with 2SOH. The dude can still sing. But most live stuff I see shows that he's not really trying to hit notes, but instead is just shouting or talk-singing.

Side note, but I'd bet fifty bucks that if U2 were to do a tour in small theaters where Bono can see the people, he would feel accountable in a way so as to cause him to try harder.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 08:33:32 PM by The Exile »

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #137 on: May 21, 2017, 07:41:01 AM »
I look forward to the accountability tour!

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
Red Hill Mining Town - World exclusive play on Dave Fanning Show
« Reply #138 on: May 21, 2017, 08:13:45 AM »
I went to a local record shop yesterday and they had 5 unsold RHMT 2017 picture discs!  Even though this is a hipster record shop and most of the customers would probably not be interested in U2 (too earnest for them), I was still surprised there were this many unsold.  Store price point was $15.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #139 on: May 21, 2017, 08:35:37 PM »
I look forward to the accountability tour!

Haha. Hey, Bono keeps thanking us for giving him a great life, the least he could do to repay us is perform in a venue where he can see the whites of our eyes! Hard to fake it in that kind of environment....
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 09:16:10 PM by The Exile »

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2017, 09:56:16 AM »
About RHMT as a single. I think I remember the band saying once they thought they had written their first hit single when they wrote "Indian Summer Sky" and it was going to be the first single off TUF. I think that when you're in the process of songwriting, you see things very differently as a casual or astute listener. You need outside help to get things in focus.

About Bono's technique... we should all keep in mind that Bono is a Sinatra fan. I can hear a lot of that in his rythm right now. I don't like it too much but I reckon it would be boring if he was always hitting the same notes at the same place. Bono has to be entertained and he keeps moving. I would add that, it occurred to me seeing I+E that Bono is now more of an actor than a singer. I was amazed that he was so much more comfortable with a staged set up. Every one of his moves is choreographed, and yet, he delivers with passion.

Of course, I would love to see the young and candid "inhabited" Bono once in a while. But he has moved on.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2017, 10:08:38 AM »

It's apples and oranges. Barring arthritis (or a bicycle accident), a guitar player's ability to play certain notes won't decline. If anything, those skills will increase. But it's different with a singer. Things like age and smoking can cause a voice to deteriorate in ways that just aren't true of a guitarist.

And to answer your question, Bono's voice started going drastically downhill in 1996. You can hear it on Pop and Popmart, and while he has had periodic steps forward, he has never regained the control, power, or range that he had from '84 to '94.

And couple with all this the performance factor. When you watch that Elvis Costello appearance, you see that Bono did a superb job with 2SOH. The dude can still sing. But most live stuff I see shows that he's not really trying to hit notes, but instead is just shouting or talk-singing.

Side note, but I'd bet fifty bucks that if U2 were to do a tour in small theaters where Bono can see the people, he would feel accountable in a way so as to cause him to try harder.

The weird thing about the "talk-sing" stuff is that it's by no means limited to notes he can't hit. For a long time, the verses of WOWY have gotten the talk-sing treatment. It makes it feel like he is doing a song out of obligation, just trying to get it over with.