Author Topic: Bono interview on Radio 2 with Chris Evans 20/4/17  (Read 5724 times)

Spacejunk69

Re: Bono interview on Radio 2 with Chris Evans 20/4/17
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2017, 10:50:05 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Are they not a band who looks back and this tour is not a nostagia one....these songs are really relevant to today!?

Haha, I always laugh when the band says (as they've done since the JT2017 announcement) that "We're not in the habit of looking back, but in this case we just feel compelled to against our will," or whatever. Umm, I'm pretty sure they've been "looking back" for 20 years:

1. They remade Sweetest Thing and put out a video for it.

2. They've put out a bunch of Best Of type compilations.

3. They toured ATYCLB by saying they want to regain what they'd lost

4. Bono would intro the band and intro songs like OOC by saying "We're an Irish band called U2, this is our first single."

5. They explicitly explained HTDAAB by saying they found themselves going back to Boy, and even playing old cuts from Boy on that tour.

6. They explicitly admitted to "going back" to the songs from AB in prep for Glastonbury, which was the whole premise behind the FTSD documentary.

7. The entire rationale behind SOI and the i&e tour was a look back at their roots.

8. And now they're touring an album that came out when The Cosby Show was prime time and people were still reeling over learning who shot J.R.

I don't begrudge them most of these forays into nostalgic territory (I loved FTSD), but they're either dishonest about or unaware of just how backward-focused they've been for the last 20 years.

Which I might add, was fantastic, and the BEST part about the Vertigo Tour. I saw An Cat Dubh and The Electric Co (pretty good versions I might add) many times, and they were the standout songs in the set. I was at the Chicago show they recorded for the DVD, and went nuts during the Electric Co. For the awful album it was touring, the early Vertigo show as a whole was really quite good to be fair.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2017, 12:44:21 PM »
Are they not a band who looks back and this tour is not a nostagia one....these songs are really relevant to today!?

Haha, I always laugh when the band says (as they've done since the JT2017 announcement) that "We're not in the habit of looking back, but in this case we just feel compelled to against our will," or whatever. Umm, I'm pretty sure they've been "looking back" for 20 years:

4. Bono would intro the band and intro songs like OOC by saying "We're an Irish band called U2, this is our first single."

5. They explicitly explained HTDAAB by saying they found themselves going back to Boy, and even playing old cuts from Boy on that tour.

6. They explicitly admitted to "going back" to the songs from AB in prep for Glastonbury, which was the whole premise behind the FTSD documentary.

7. The entire rationale behind SOI and the i&e tour was a look back at their roots.

8. And now they're touring an album that came out when The Cosby Show was prime time and people were still reeling over learning who shot J.R.

I don't begrudge them most of these forays into nostalgic territory (I loved FTSD), but they're either dishonest about or unaware of just how backward-focused they've been for the last 20 years.

Which I might add, was fantastic, and the BEST part about the Vertigo Tour. I saw An Cat Dubh and The Electric Co (pretty good versions I might add) many times, and they were the standout songs in the set. I was at the Chicago show they recorded for the DVD, and went nuts during the Electric Co. For the awful album it was touring, the early Vertigo show as a whole was really quite good to be fair.

I saw that tour in Seattle and if memory serves we got Gloria and The Ocean, which I was thrilled with. Like I said, I have NO problem with well thought-out forays into the band's past catalog. But if every time they do it they're going to act like it's some kind of aberration, I'm gonna call BS. They've been backward-looking since 1998.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2017, 01:32:14 PM »
yea whats the issue with them digging out old deep cuts? thats pretty much the highlight next to hearing great new songs....

Spacejunk69

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2017, 04:22:21 PM »

I saw that tour in Seattle and if memory serves we got Gloria and The Ocean, which I was thrilled with. Like I said, I have NO problem with well thought-out forays into the band's past catalog. But if every time they do it they're going to act like it's some kind of aberration, I'm gonna call BS. They've been backward-looking since 1998.

Agreed Ex. And I was at that Seattle show also  ;) Yes, they alternated An Cat Dubh/Electric Co and The Ocean/Gloria night to night. Great stuff.

Offline inztantkarma

• Babyface
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2017, 08:19:18 PM »
Maybe it is just some overly optimistic and naive U2 tuned ears, but when Bono is banging on about being a wedding and bar mitzvah band (slightly rareish bingo point) he mumbles something at the end of that largely incoherent sentence. Almost like he ventured close to saying something he shouldn't (another bingo point) and then back tracked with a glib statement (BINGO!).

"but this seems to be something to do.. and it's kind of, I don't know, i don't know, we we..we" WAIT NO DON'T SAY THAT BONO!!!
"yeah, it will be.. we will see what happens..but it's yeah..." Quick throw in a cliche to get out of this "it's it's a special album of songs for sure"... Nice one me, they won't suspect a thing....

Could he have been wandering dangerously close to blurting out something else? More tour dates? Extension of JT shows? SOE release? Or just classic Bonoism? Who knows..

Offline zeeTV

• Numb
  • But I can change the world in me... REJOICE
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2017, 09:23:48 PM »
Did Bono talk about Kendrick collab!?