Poll

Pick Your TWO favourite songs from the list below.

Where The Streets Have No Name
37 (29.4%)
Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
31 (24.6%)
Until The End of The World
38 (30.2%)
Zooropa
20 (15.9%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: April 29, 2017, 11:45:06 AM

Author Topic: U2 Album Track Tournament Round 5 / Group 1  (Read 2831 times)

Spacejunk69

Re: U2 Album Track Tournament Round 5 / Group 1
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2017, 05:49:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Streets is not inferior.

Yes it is. Musically. Structurally and lyrically.

Streets is so by the numbers. Where as the other three songs in this group are anything but.

Elaborate, please.
I don't think that point needs to be elaborated upon... Zooropa, Until The End Of The World, and Ultraviolet are far more interesting and inventive songs than Streets. Look at the first few lines of Streets, for example:

I wanna run, I want to hide
I wanna tear down the walls
That hold me inside.
I wanna reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name.

This is very basic writing, honestly. You have your typical U2-isms in there (I wanna..., reaching out for a flame, etc.). The other sons in the poll, however, are written in unique styles that Bono hadn't touched up until that point.

Lyrically, Zooropa is almost discombobulated in its stitched-together-sounding combination of catchphrases and taglines that make for an interesting contrast to the song's other-worldly qualities.

Until The End Of World is written from the first-person and is the first instance I am aware of Bono writing in character in the U2 canon.

Ultraviolet (Light My Way) is more of a stretch because it is the most basic of these three. You can argue that Bono's introduction of the word "baby" is unique for a U2 song and makes Ultraviolet a better lyric than Streets, but I wouldn't go there.

All three are far more interesting than Streets when it comes to instrumentation, something I don't really need in-depth about.

Well, I see I do not need to elaborate, as my wingman WookieWarrior10 obviously has my back!

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2017, 06:18:23 PM »
Streets is not inferior.

Streets is so by the numbers. Where as the other three songs in this group are anything but.

Elaborate, please.
I don't think that point needs to be elaborated upon... Zooropa, Until The End Of The World, and Ultraviolet are far more interesting and inventive songs than Streets. Look at the first few lines of Streets, for example:

That hold me inside.
I wanna reach out
And touch the flame

This is very basic writing, honestly. You have your typical U2-isms in there (I wanna..., reaching out for a flame, etc.). The other sons in the poll, however, are written in unique styles that Bono hadn't touched up until that point.

Lyrically, Zooropa is almost discombobulated in its stitched-together-sounding combination of catchphrases and taglines that make for an interesting contrast to the song's other-worldly qualities.

Until The End Of World is written from the first-person and is the first instance I am aware of Bono writing in character in the U2 canon.

Ultraviolet (Light My Way) is more of a stretch because it is the most basic of these three. You can argue that Bono's introduction of the word "baby" is unique for a U2 song and makes Ultraviolet a better lyric than Streets, but I wouldn't go there.

All three are far more interesting than Streets when it comes to instrumentation, something I don't really need in-depth about.

I don't care for lyrics and, honestly, I think this is an unfortunate criterion to talk about music.

Spacejunk69

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2017, 06:26:29 PM »
Streets is not inferior.

Elaborate, please.

That hold me inside.
I wanna reach out
And touch the flame

I don't care for lyrics and, honestly, I think this is an unfortunate criterion to talk about music.

Seriously? Go listen to some classical music then. And what are your favorite U2 songs - 4th of July, Things To Make And Do?

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2017, 06:39:27 PM »
Streets is not inferior.

Elaborate, please.

That hold me inside.
I wanna reach out
And touch the flame

Well, I see I do not need to elaborate, as my wingman WookieWarrior10 obviously has my back!
Haha! I didn't mean to speak for you but I had to say something!

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2017, 06:42:45 PM »
Streets is not inferior.

Elaborate, please.

That hold me inside.
I wanna reach out
And touch the flame

Are you suggesting that lyrics have no relevance in the quality of music?

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2017, 07:17:10 PM »
Streets is not inferior.

Elaborate, please.

That hold me inside.
I wanna reach out
And touch the flame

I think it can work as a bonus, but it's nothing I pay attention to 95% of the time, since music usually has a lot else going on to pay attention to. Basically, I grew up listening to music in english before I could understand the language, then, from my 18 to my 23 years old, I used to listen to classical music at least 3 hours each day. Therefore, I developed my appreciation for music without any kind of inclination towards lyrics.

Also, I think many of greatest musicians of my country were better lyricists than most english/american/etc composers (including U2), so I think I'd listen to more brazilian music if lyrics were something I'm attached to.

But I do think lyrics do something great for songs, that is, the words and syllables make the melodies much more fluid and nice. And, of course, the meaning behind those words can help the artist to deliver a better perfomance.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2017, 07:58:55 PM »
Streets is not inferior.

Elaborate, please.

That hold me inside.
I wanna reach out
And touch the flame

I think it can work as a bonus, but it's nothing I pay attention to 95% of the time, since music usually has a lot else going on to pay attention to. Basically, I grew up listening to music in english before I could understand the language, then, from my 18 to my 23 years old, I used to listen to classical music at least 3 hours each day. Therefore, I developed my appreciation for music without any kind of inclination towards lyrics.

Also, I think many of greatest musicians of my country were better lyricists than most english/american/etc composers (including U2), so I think I'd listen to more brazilian music if lyrics were something I'm attached to.

But I do think lyrics do something great for songs, that is, the words and syllables make the melodies much more fluid and nice. And, of course, the meaning behind those words can help the artist to deliver a better perfomance.
Ok, that makes much more sense. Now that you bring it up, it would really be interesting to experience music without knowing English. Never thought of that before...

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2017, 08:47:31 PM »
Streets is not inferior.

Elaborate, please.

That hold me inside.
I wanna reach out
And touch the flame

Ultraviolet is more interesting than Streets musically? Sorry but no. Streets has an amazing intro and outro done in a way that was new at the time. How many guitarists spent hours trying to understand how Edge got that sound? Rhythmically, Streets is very interesting too. All the songs in this group are great. I didn't vote for Ultraviolet, but I don't feel the need to say it basically takes chord progressions from other U2 songs and uses the same guitar style Edge used throughout the late 80's. It's as U2 sounding as it can get.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2017, 09:37:30 PM »
Streets is not inferior.

Elaborate, please.

That hold me inside.
I wanna reach out
And touch the flame

Ultraviolet is more interesting than Streets musically? Sorry but no. Streets has an amazing intro and outro done in a way that was new at the time. How many guitarists spent hours trying to understand how Edge got that sound? Rhythmically, Streets is very interesting too. All the songs in this group are great. I didn't vote for Ultraviolet, but I don't feel the need to say it basically takes chord progressions from other U2 songs and uses the same guitar style Edge used throughout the late 80's. It's as U2 sounding as it can get.
That organ intro is cheesy and pretentious as hell... nothing remarkable or new at the time. Sure, the guitar effects were unique for their time, but outside of that... what's so remarkable about Streets?

As for Ultraviolet, I like that style of play was sort of new for Edge... not progression-wise, but the wakka-like guitar sound is very un-U2.

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2017, 10:37:45 PM »
Streets is not inferior.

Elaborate, please.

That hold me inside.
I wanna reach out
And touch the flame

Ok, that makes much more sense. Now that you bring it up, it would really be interesting to experience music without knowing English. Never thought of that before...

Well, that's easy... just listen to music in other language.

Some beautiful women for you here:

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2017, 11:11:21 PM »
Streets is not inferior.

Elaborate, please.

That hold me inside.
I wanna reach out
And touch the flame

That organ intro is cheesy and pretentious as hell... nothing remarkable or new at the time. Sure, the guitar effects were unique for their time, but outside of that... what's so remarkable about Streets?

As for Ultraviolet, I like that style of play was sort of new for Edge... not progression-wise, but the wakka-like guitar sound is very un-U2.

What's so cheesy in a ingenious chord progression with lots of interesting sonic layers? Not in the studio version, at least, without Bono's exagerated live cries. Otherwise, that intro is pure brilliance and everything that happens next never lets the energy drop. Larry came up with a really cool rhythmic pattern, Edge is doing many exciting guitar effects and Bono is showing all the power of his voice. As for Adam, he is not doing the bassline of his life, but he's doing what was needed to hold the other three together and keep the fast pacing.

It's really hard to argue that Streets has nothing musically interesting going on, since it's one of the most accomplished U2 songs in many ways (chord progression, innovation [Edge], execution, production value and overall "phenomology").

The thing about Streets, though, is that it's a 5:40 minute song that feels like it ends in a single minute. I just can't feel the time passing.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2017, 10:30:47 AM »
Streets is not inferior.

Elaborate, please.

That hold me inside.
I wanna reach out
And touch the flame

What's so cheesy in a ingenious chord progression with lots of interesting sonic layers? Not in the studio version, at least, without Bono's exagerated live cries. Otherwise, that intro is pure brilliance and everything that happens next never lets the energy drop. Larry came up with a really cool rhythmic pattern, Edge is doing many exciting guitar effects and Bono is showing all the power of his voice. As for Adam, he is not doing the bassline of his life, but he's doing what was needed to hold the other three together and keep the fast pacing.

It's really hard to argue that Streets has nothing musically interesting going on, since it's one of the most accomplished U2 songs in many ways (chord progression, innovation [Edge], execution, production value and overall "phenomology").

The thing about Streets, though, is that it's a 5:40 minute song that feels like it ends in a single minute. I just can't feel the time passing.
You do bring up some good points... maybe it's not as cheesy as I find it pretentious.

I do think Larry's tom-playing is different for a U2 song, and Adam does a great job of serving the song well. I still disagree with you on Edge's part, though. It is an interesting chord-progression, but nothing spectacular.

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2017, 10:36:15 AM »
Streets is not inferior.

Elaborate, please.

That hold me inside.
I wanna reach out
And touch the flame

You do bring up some good points... maybe it's not as cheesy as I find it pretentious.

I do think Larry's tom-playing is different for a U2 song, and Adam does a great job of serving the song well. I still disagree with you on Edge's part, though. It is an interesting chord-progression, but nothing spectacular.

Pretentious is good, me think, especially when they deliver what they promised.

As for Edge, I like everything he's done throughout the song.

Spacejunk69

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2017, 10:44:50 AM »
Streets is not inferior.

Elaborate, please.

That hold me inside.
I wanna reach out
And touch the flame

Sorry, but I completely disagree with this.

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2017, 12:50:34 PM »
Streets is not inferior.

Elaborate, please.

That hold me inside.
I wanna reach out
And touch the flame

Sorry, but I completely disagree with this.
Well can you elaborate?