Poll

Pick Your TWO favourite songs from the list below.

Where The Streets Have No Name
37 (29.4%)
Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
31 (24.6%)
Until The End of The World
38 (30.2%)
Zooropa
20 (15.9%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: April 29, 2017, 11:45:06 AM

Author Topic: U2 Album Track Tournament Round 5 / Group 1  (Read 2746 times)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Re: U2 Album Track Tournament Round 5 / Group 1
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2017, 01:11:26 PM »
For my part, as much as I love Ultraviolet, it is the Streets of Achtung Baby. By that I mean that it's the easiest song for someone raised on '80s U2 to like. Great song, but pretty safe and unchallenging.

Zooropa, on the other hand....

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2017, 01:51:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For my part, as much as I love Ultraviolet, it is the Streets of Achtung Baby. By that I mean that it's the easiest song for someone raised on '80s U2 to like. Great song, but pretty safe and unchallenging.

There you go. That's kind of the point I was trying to make, but you said it way better.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2017, 02:04:47 PM »

There you go. That's kind of the point I was trying to make, but you said it way better.

Aww, shucks (shoving hands into pockets and staring sheepishly at the ground).

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2017, 03:46:29 PM »

It's undoubtably the most accessible song on Achtung Baby... maybe behind Wild Horses.

Offline geronimo71

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2017, 03:52:05 PM »
Don't get me started about Wild Horses. It's the start of U2's period of 'writing a hit by numbers'. See also Staring At The Sun, Walk On, plus most of Songs Of Innocence.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2017, 07:30:19 PM »
Don't get me started about Wild Horses. It's the start of U2's period of 'writing a hit by numbers'. See also Staring At The Sun, Walk On, plus most of Songs Of Innocence.
While both Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses and Staring At the Sun are very accessible songs, I wouldn't label them as "by the numbers".

Elevation, Vertigo, and Get On Your Boots? That trilogy of crap is done by the numbers. That's just the same rehashed idea repeated across three separate albums, whereas SATS and Wild Horses are unique as can be in U2's discography. Nothing else the band has produced sounds remotely close to either of them.

Offline World71R

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2017, 09:17:45 AM »
While both Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses and Staring At the Sun are very accessible songs, I wouldn't label them as "by the numbers".

Elevation, Vertigo, and Get On Your Boots? That trilogy of crap is done by the numbers. That's just the same rehashed idea repeated across three separate albums, whereas SATS and Wild Horses are unique as can be in U2's discography. Nothing else the band has produced sounds remotely close to either of them.

Vertigo might be the most by the number sonically since there's nothing wild or crazy going on, like the effect heavy riff on Elevation and the intense drive the instrumentation has on GOYB, but it's still an alright tune and doesn't get stale by the end like the other two do. What I think hurts these songs is the lyrics (all three), the vocal ad-libs & structure (Elevation and GOYB), and the fact that the formula was re-hashed so many times (similarly put together hard 'rawk' song as lead single).

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2017, 04:21:31 PM »
Until The End of The World and Where The Streets Have No Name qualify for the Last 4.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2017, 04:23:38 PM »
Until The End of The World and Where The Streets Have No Name qualify for the Last 4.
YAY!