Author Topic: "Ordinary Love - Extraordinary Chorus" u2.com email  (Read 8731 times)

Offline mofospacejunk

• Wanderer
Re: "Ordinary Love - Extraordinary Chorus" u2.com email
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2017, 06:14:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm reading U2 At The End of the World as we speak. When they were conceptualizing ZooTV some of their scrapped ideas were bonkers. The whole concept of the album was out there.

Ordinary Love is appealing to U2 now because its easy for them to perform.

When did the band become so safe?

Was like that acoustic bit in the I and E tour. It was pretty easy for them to do, but was totally boring. The band need to get off that level of thinking. No Bono dueting with Edge on Piano bits please.

I wonder do they actually research with fans as to whether fans liked those bits. Whenever that Piano came up I just though... no no no.

B-Stage has worked on occasion for U2 when its one song and its rocking. But these slow easy ballads are boring as f

f is boring?

You're obviously doing it wrong.

monopoly

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2017, 06:22:37 PM »
I'm reading U2 At The End of the World as we speak. When they were conceptualizing ZooTV some of their scrapped ideas were bonkers. The whole concept of the album was out there.

Ordinary Love is appealing to U2 now because its easy for them to perform.

When did the band become so safe?

Was like that acoustic bit in the I and E tour. It was pretty easy for them to do, but was totally boring. The band need to get off that level of thinking. No Bono dueting with Edge on Piano bits please.

I wonder do they actually research with fans as to whether fans liked those bits. Whenever that Piano came up I just though... no no no.

B-Stage has worked on occasion for U2 when its one song and its rocking. But these slow easy ballads are boring as f

f is boring?

You're obviously doing it wrong.

The letter q is more boring for me

Offline AchtungPop

• Staring at the Sun
  • Walk On
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2017, 08:11:18 PM »
I'm still surprised it was in rotation on the I&E Tour while Miracle Drug got shelved. And got played more than NYD, The Troubles & Two Hearts.

I don't think its bad, just so many better songs that they've done.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 08:13:10 PM by AchtungPop »

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2017, 08:13:59 PM »
Well, being played a total of 12 times on that tour isn't a whole lot though. Didn't exactly seem like a staple at some point. Yet.

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2017, 08:27:03 PM »
Well whether you guys like it or not, it's their biggest song of the last 10 years according to Spotify so it makes sense that they want to play it. However, the acoustic version they did on the IE tour was pretty bad. They need to play full band.

monopoly

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2017, 08:31:32 PM »
I'm still surprised it was in rotation on the I&E Tour while Miracle Drug got shelved. And got played more than NYD, The Troubles & Two Hearts.

It has one of their better sing along choruses

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2017, 08:47:26 PM »

It's a song many of their hardcore fans don't really like. The casuals who are their to see the Joshua Tree won't know the chorus, or the song for that matter, at all. If they really wanted to do a sing-a-long Sweetest Thing would make more sense. A simple pop song people know, that was written for the Joshua Tree. 

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2017, 08:51:47 PM »

It's a song many of their hardcore fans don't really like. The casuals who are their to see the Joshua Tree won't know the chorus, or the song for that matter, at all. If they really wanted to do a sing-a-long Sweetest Thing would make more sense. A simple pop song people know, that was written for the Joshua Tree.

yea. forget spotify plays. sure they listened to it. but know it? know it well enough to sing along? hey look. this was a NEW single. and one i like. so i give them points for doing this with a new song and not with say something obvious and nostalgic, like Pride. it's cringeworthy, but its cringe with something new. if that makes any sense.

monopoly

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2017, 08:58:02 PM »

yea. forget spotify plays. sure they listened to it. but know it? know it well enough to sing along? hey look. this was a NEW single. and one i like. so i give them points for doing this with a new song and not with say something obvious and nostalgic, like Pride. it's cringeworthy, but its cringe with something new. if that makes any sense.

It's not a matter of knowing It beforehand but that the audience can catch on very quickly and sing along- something many of the newer songs can't do. I don't want to hear it on this particular tour but I do admit it has one of the most recent crowd appealing lyrics. The reaction it saw 2 years ago is proof of that. Listen to Paris and notice how everyone can sing to it.

The whole "free yourself to be yourself" didn't work too well when bono tried to get people to sing it

Offline mcpaulson22

• Babyface
  • Ill see you again when the stars fall from the sky
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2017, 09:10:36 PM »
Has the sky fallen? Sure it may not be the brightest idea, but no need to light the pitchforks. We are going to be hearing Red Hill Mining Town, Exit, One Tree Hill, and the Joshua Tree album in sequence. So much to be grateful for.

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2017, 09:12:15 PM »

I'm not a fan of Ordinary Love, but how can we measure what the hardcore fans like?

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2017, 09:13:47 PM »
I'm not a fan of Ordinary Love, but how can we measure what the hardcore fans like?

See two or three comments that agree with yours, and declare that it's the main opinion.  ;)

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2017, 12:45:06 AM »

Been a lot of song polls on this forum. Never seen Ordinary Love rank very high. At the time it was released it got a very mixed reaction on here. There were a lot of posters who didn't think very highly of it.

Offline Rono

• Babyface
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2017, 05:03:00 AM »
Im probably in the minority in liking the song but there is many songs that arnt played regularly which I would like to see in the show first.   A full band version of they do it!

The extraordinary chorus idea sounds cringe worthy and a bad idea but could work of done right.  The band and Willie Williams are the masters at putting on a show,!

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2017, 08:14:52 AM »
And you know they will dump it, if it flops they are good like that