Author Topic: "Ordinary Love - Extraordinary Chorus" u2.com email  (Read 8743 times)

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
Re: "Ordinary Love - Extraordinary Chorus" u2.com email
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2017, 01:15:26 PM »
Yeah, not feeling this - they're clearly using the anniversary of one of their biggest albums to draw in the casuals but if we're honest, "Ordinary Love" isn't exactly a song the casuals know the words to.  I smell a mass pi*s break for this one.  But, as Willie said - "It’s early days and the idea might not make the cut…."

Offline U2Fan

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2017, 05:42:56 AM »
I hope this doesn't make the cut.  Not at all interested in hearing this on the Joshua Tree tour.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2017, 05:58:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I hope this doesn't make the cut.  Not at all interested in hearing this on the Joshua Tree tour.
No, it really doesn't fit, does it?

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2017, 11:22:13 AM »
I'm still surprised it was in rotation on the I&E Tour while Miracle Drug got shelved. And got played more than NYD, The Troubles & Two Hearts.

I don't think its bad, just so many better songs that they've done.

It has one of their better sing along choruses

It's a song many of their hardcore fans don't really like. The casuals who are their to see the Joshua Tree won't know the chorus, or the song for that matter, at all. If they really wanted to do a sing-a-long Sweetest Thing would make more sense. A simple pop song people know, that was written for the Joshua Tree.

I'm not a fan of Ordinary Love, but how can we measure what the hardcore fans like?

Been a lot of song polls on this forum. Never seen Ordinary Love rank very high. At the time it was released it got a very mixed reaction on here. There were a lot of posters who didn't think very highly of it.

I agree. I guess I would be considered a "hardcore" fan. It's not that OL is a bad song, it's just not as good as dozens of other songs that U2 has released. U2 has a very deep discography, they'd literally have to play a concert of 80+ songs to play every song the hardcores and casuals want to hear live.  They're playing with a very limited setlist since TJT will be eating up 11 of the songs, so why effectively "waste" one of those precious few songs on OL when you could instead play a b-side like Desire, ST, Luminous Times or a deeper cut like Acrobat off AB?

I don't get the logic in playing OL and, say, dropping Elevation from the setlist. Both are technically movie soundtrack songs, but one song gets the crowd moving much in the way that Vertigo does, while the other is just sort of meh while compared to U2's other songs.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2017, 12:44:20 PM »
Been a lot of song polls on this forum. Never seen Ordinary Love rank very high. At the time it was released it got a very mixed reaction on here. There were a lot of posters who didn't think very highly of it.

I can't recall any polls taking place on here. But both @U2 and Interference have maybe 100-200 people that visit each day regularly, with maybe a handful of them posting consistently. Overall, I'm not really sure if any consensus can be built just by people who happen to be on a forum at any given time. Strong opinions? Sure, but I probably wouldn't call it a consensus among fans at all.

If we're giving weight to everyone on here that has a strong opinion hating it, then shouldn't we also consider all the people in the YouTube comments section that like the song too?

This song is so beautiful
These guys at their best are incomparable
i love  this  song
blows away anything on their new album
the best fantastic the song
Mmmmm, love this
I loved this song when I was younger
One if not my favorite U2 song, which will not get old in my book
i love this song
amazing
Am i the only one who thinks this song is just epic and beautiful and should deserve much, much more views and credit?
Why do radio stations never play this, they should stop playing those lady gaga songs.
This song really takes you in - the melodies leak into your soul and there they stay
I love this song, I wish Nelson Mandela was still here with us, he is though but in Heaven, this song makes me cry
This is what it means to be a sublime lyricist. Good track too.
i feel something inside my body when listened this music.!
Awesoma track. I waiting for more as good such this
im french and i love this song
I L O V E THIS SONG!!!

In other words, some people don't like the song, but there's also some that like it a lot too. And either way is fine. I'd probably say a good chunk of songs by any band are going to be the exact same thing. But to say that a song is widely disliked just because five or ten people on a forum say it's horrible doesn't make too much sense either, imo.

I agree. I guess I would be considered a "hardcore" fan. It's not that OL is a bad song, it's just not as good as dozens of other songs that U2 has released. U2 has a very deep discography, they'd literally have to play a concert of 80+ songs to play every song the hardcores and casuals want to hear live.  They're playing with a very limited setlist since TJT will be eating up 11 of the songs, so why effectively "waste" one of those precious few songs on OL when you could instead play a b-side like Desire, ST, Luminous Times or a deeper cut like Acrobat off AB?

The "dozens of other songs" argument comes up when a song is singled out, but I'm not sure it really answers much either. If they picked another song, the debate would just shift over to whatever other song it is.

Examples:
Desire - "They've already played this a lot!" "They're unadventurous if they're pulling this one up again!"
Sweetest Thing - "They already played it on the last tour." "This was the beginning of 00's U2." "I hate Bono playing the piano."
Luminous Times - "There's better b-sides they could be playing." "The audience doesn't know it/will fall asleep." "Why aren't they playing Acrobat instead?" "No one except the hard cores will know this song!"
God Part II - "Can Bono even hit the high notes anymore?" "I thought he told a fan he couldn't hit the high notes anymore?" "I can't picture the band doing it justice anymore." "Why aren't they playing Silver and Gold instead?"
Do You Feel Loved - "They couldn't play it live last time, so why are they trying it again?" "It stunk live."

And if they alternate a few songs live again, then there's a chance we won't hear whatever anyway and just stick to watching two minutes of whatever song on YouTube before getting bored with it. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 12:46:33 PM by trevgreg »

monopoly

« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2017, 06:21:04 PM »
It's the same group who like the best thing, SFS, and California. Some people really like the new pop u2. Then you have older fans like us who know what u2 are capable of and don't consider these their great work

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2017, 11:08:27 PM »
It's the same group who like the best thing, SFS, and California. Some people really like the new pop u2. Then you have older fans like us who know what u2 are capable of and don't consider these their great work

Umm, not necessarily. I love U2's older work and their output from the 80s-90s is tops for me...but I have a soft spot for SFS and The Best Thing (without the EDM sound, it has potential). Great songs? Definitely not. But not as bad as a lot of people make'em out to be. I'm not even going to defend California.  ;)

The "dozens of other songs" argument comes up when a song is singled out, but I'm not sure it really answers much either. If they picked another song, the debate would just shift over to whatever other song it is.

Examples:
Desire - "They've already played this a lot!" "They're unadventurous if they're pulling this one up again!"
Sweetest Thing - "They already played it on the last tour." "This was the beginning of 00's U2." "I hate Bono playing the piano."
Luminous Times - "There's better b-sides they could be playing." "The audience doesn't know it/will fall asleep." "Why aren't they playing Acrobat instead?" "No one except the hard cores will know this song!"
God Part II - "Can Bono even hit the high notes anymore?" "I thought he told a fan he couldn't hit the high notes anymore?" "I can't picture the band doing it justice anymore." "Why aren't they playing Silver and Gold instead?"
Do You Feel Loved - "They couldn't play it live last time, so why are they trying it again?" "It stunk live."

And if they alternate a few songs live again, then there's a chance we won't hear whatever anyway and just stick to watching two minutes of whatever song on YouTube before getting bored with it. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I get what you're saying, but I think this particular thing is an exception. Here we have U2 playing the entirety of one of their best albums. Playing a tune like Desire, Sweetest Thing, or Luminous would NOT be out of place in the context of this tour. However, playing OL WOULD be out of place in the context of this tour. Would people complain about Desire, ST, Luminous? Of course, but I don't think they would complain as much as OL which has not business being on this limited setlist. Save it for the continuation of the I&E tour.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2017, 05:21:38 AM »

Umm, not necessarily. I love U2's older work and their output from the 80s-90s is tops for me...but I have a soft spot for SFS and The Best Thing (without the EDM sound, it has potential). Great songs? Definitely not. But not as bad as a lot of people make'em out to be. I'm not even going to defend California.  ;)

Examples:

I get what you're saying, but I think this particular thing is an exception. Here we have U2 playing the entirety of one of their best albums. Playing a tune like Desire, Sweetest Thing, or Luminous would NOT be out of place in the context of this tour. However, playing OL WOULD be out of place in the context of this tour. Would people complain about Desire, ST, Luminous? Of course, but I don't think they would complain as much as OL which has not business being on this limited setlist. Save it for the continuation of the I&E tour.
Who would complain about Luminous Times being played? Why? WHAT?

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2017, 07:56:56 AM »

I hate SFS and The Best Thing but I love California... In fact its top 3 on SOI for me. Just shows that there is no truth to taste!

Offline blovesu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2017, 08:03:41 AM »

I hate SFS and The Best Thing but I love California... In fact its top 3 on SOI for me. Just shows that there is no truth to taste!

Me too. I love California. One of my fave U2 tracks from the last few albums. To each their own!

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2017, 10:46:21 AM »

Me too. I love California. One of my fave U2 tracks from the last few albums. To each their own!

I will say, listening to California on vinyl made me like it a little more. There's sounds that come out on the vinyl version that you can't clearly hear on the digital/CD versions of the song. I don't care for the intro, but I do enjoy the rest of the song.

Examples:

Who would complain about Luminous Times being played? Why? WHAT?

I wouldn't! In fact, I'd gladly welcome just about any of the B-sides.