Author Topic: Hypothetical: U2 with Symphony Orchestra  (Read 1109 times)

Offline ZEROpartII

• Child of Grace
Hypothetical: U2 with Symphony Orchestra
« on: April 26, 2017, 11:47:21 AM »
I've always loved the idea of U2 doing a live show with a symphony orchestra and accompanying album ala Metallica S+M

If the show is 16 songs what would you include?

Must haves

- Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
- All I Want is You
- Sunday Bloody Sunday

Just because a song already has strings doesn't mean it's automatically in. Even though it would be fantastic

-Kite
-Hands that Built America
-Troubles

Then you have songs that would be incredibly enhanced because of the synths used in the original recording.

-Ultraviolet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JTNash

• Numb
Re: Hypothetical: U2 with Symphony Orchestra
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 11:49:00 AM »
The Nashville Symphony did a U2 show and I hated the arrangement.  So it could be great if the arrangement is good.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 12:14:26 PM »
I think One would need to be included, a la the Passengers performance.

Also, the intro to Streets could be converted for a symphonic performance, either a straight imitation, or something more interpretive, like Peter Gabriel's cover of "Heroes".
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 12:16:53 PM by Johnny Feathers »

Offline Lizard

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Heard a song that made some sense out of the world
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 12:30:22 PM »
Those side projects are nice, like when Bono and Edge were at the Clinton Foundation but generally I don't want them to go on tour with an orchestra or a brass band or whatever. I just like their music fo what it is: guitar, bass and drums.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 01:03:50 PM »
Yeah, I'd buy a recording of it, but would prefer just the lads in concert. Oh, and songs I'd like to hear this way would be too many to list...Drowning Man, Ultraviolet, Promenade, maybe even something wild like Wire!

Offline ZEROpartII

• Child of Grace
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 01:13:02 PM »
Edges guitar is a symphony.  Just watching the Metallica concert makes me salivate for U2 to do it too.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 01:29:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Edges guitar is a symphony.  Just watching the Metallica concert makes me salivate for U2 to do it too.

Agreed! Edge's guitar IS a symphony...who needs anything else?

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 11:46:02 AM »
I recently went to see a David Bowie impersonator with a full rock band backed by the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra.

It was OK....not great.  The band's sound overshadowed the orchestra and the orchestral arrangements were never a highlight of any song....almost completely remaining in the background.  Not sure if the issues were just mix related, arrangement related or what but it didn't live up to my expectations. 

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 01:38:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I recently went to see a David Bowie impersonator with a full rock band backed by the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra.

It was OK....not great.  The band's sound overshadowed the orchestra and the orchestral arrangements were never a highlight of any song....almost completely remaining in the background.  Not sure if the issues were just mix related, arrangement related or what but it didn't live up to my expectations. 

I think it's tough to justify a symphonic ensemble with a rock band if the material wasn't originally written in incorporate them.  I think Peter Gabriel did it about as well as anyone could--no rock band at all, just the symphony, and the material was often rewritten specifically for the ensemble.  (The Rhythm of the Heat's furious tribal drum coda redone as a very modern-sounding symphonic piece, mostly on strings, etc.)

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 02:03:05 PM »
I always thought that U2 and other bands should do this as it would be very cool. The Unforgettable Fire and Miss Sarajevo would definitely have to be included in the show, and I can already imagine WOWY with strings.