Author Topic: Wild Honey featured in movie trailer for "The Big Sick"  (Read 7068 times)

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
Re: Wild Honey featured in movie trailer for "The Big Sick"
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2017, 09:13:01 AM »
This song seems to get a lot of flak...yeah it's nothing groundbreaking or amazing but it's certainly not a bad song IMO...it's just kind of a simple feel good tune.  I mean, a lot of bands back in the radio/music landscape of late 90s and early 2000s would have killed to have released this song as a summer hit single; for U2 it's just another ordinary song in their catalog.  Perfect tune for a rom-com.

I don't seek it out, but I don't skip it either.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 09:16:21 AM by aviastar »

Offline Nagrom76

• Refugee
  • Bacon
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2017, 09:22:20 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I remember it was in a scene in Vanilla Sky.  If I remember correctly, it was at Tom Cruise's character's birthday party.  It was brief, but I remember thinking, U2 must be cool with TC.
huh. I don't remember that...but speaking of TC, the fact that he has been portrayed in the Jack Reacher movies is ridiculous...I've read the books, and Jack Reacher is a BIG guy, with BIG hands and a BIG body. TC is just a little dude...

It is in Vanilla Sky

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2017, 09:24:07 AM »
Sure, the tune is throwaway, but it does have a mood that I could see working as a bit of background.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2017, 11:37:14 AM »
It's a sweet song, and lots of people don't care for sweetness...I do!

So do monkeys. They steal honey from swarms of bees. Because monkeys like honey. And bees carry honey with them while swarming.

Miami. My Mammy.

Some days are better than others.
I dont understand the resentful towards that Miami lyric... it fits the song very well in terms of theme.

Sure, I'll give you Some Days Are Better Than Others. Look at the majority of U2's output after Pop, though:

All Because of You
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
Stand Up Comedy
Get On Your Boots
Unknown Caller
Wild Honey
Peace On Earth
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
Miracle Drug
Crums From Your Table
Yahweh
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Original of the Species
When I Look At the World
Song For Someone
California (There is No End to Love)
The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
Iris (Hold Me Close)

In the context of the song, I don't even find the lyrics to most of these songs that offensive or terrible. The lyrics seem to fit the music pretty well, and the music is good enough to offset any terribleness of the lyrics. And even then, compare those lyrics to 99% of what's been released in the past 15 years. Bono almost looks like a lyrical genius by comparison.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2017, 11:39:09 AM »

So do monkeys. They steal honey from swarms of bees. Because monkeys like honey. And bees carry honey with them while swarming.

Miami. My Mammy.

I dont understand the resentful towards that Miami lyric... it fits the song very well in terms of theme.

Sure, I'll give you Some Days Are Better Than Others. Look at the majority of U2's output after Pop, though:

All Because of You
Stand Up Comedy
Get On Your Boots
Unknown Caller
Wild Honey
Peace On Earth
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
Miracle Drug
Crums From Your Table
Yahweh
Original of the Species
When I Look At the World
Song For Someone
Iris (Hold Me Close)

In the context of the song, I don't even find the lyrics to most of these songs that offensive or terrible. The lyrics seem to fit the music pretty well, and the music is good enough to offset any terribleness of the lyrics. And even then, compare those lyrics to 99% of what's been released in the past 15 years. Bono almost looks like a lyrical genius by comparison.
The context of the song shouldn't matter, though.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2017, 11:45:57 AM »

Miami. My Mammy.

All Because of You
Stand Up Comedy
Get On Your Boots
Unknown Caller
Wild Honey
Peace On Earth
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
Miracle Drug
Crums From Your Table
Yahweh
Original of the Species
When I Look At the World
Song For Someone
Iris (Hold Me Close)

It kind of does, though. Like you said about Miami, that lyric fits very well in the theme of the song. It fits so well that you can overlook how dumb the lyrics look on paper. Same can be said for a lot of classic song lyrics (and no, I'm not calling any of post-00s U2 classic, just saying I don't get the hate for the lyrics). Perhaps if I were comparing U2's post-00s output to the great eras of music (the 60s, 70s, parts of the 80s and 90s) I might get annoyed at the lyrics, but as it is, they're far better than a lot of recent songs.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2017, 12:00:20 PM »

Miami. My Mammy.

All Because of You
Stand Up Comedy
Get On Your Boots
Unknown Caller
Wild Honey
Peace On Earth
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
Miracle Drug
Crums From Your Table
Yahweh
Original of the Species
When I Look At the World
Song For Someone
Iris (Hold Me Close)

Well...the rest isn't that much better. Waste of a nice Adam/Larry groove with a weak lyric. Also the least interesting Edge solo.

I'd rather listen to pretty much anything U2 put out since but it's all a matter of taste.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2017, 12:36:45 PM »
Wow, that is some next level nit picking. Here I was thinking the people who lost it at "ATM machine" were being harsh...

The point was not the bad grammar but the ridiculous line about using torn-down TREES on your eneMEES (another one of those ill-fated attempts to shoehorn rhyming words into a couplet -- and to be fair, he does it on Mofo as well).

And while there are a few places on HTDAAB and NLOTH where I wish the lyrics had been given another pass (I could say the same about Pop), I still think that Bono's lyrics are generally really good, especially on ATYCLB and SOI. I'm sorry that his songwriting doesn't do it for you anymore. It still does for me.

I agree that his lyrics are often quite good (Crystal Ballroom and SLABT both have great lyrics). But come on, you gotta roll your eyes a bit over monkeys stealing honey from swarming bees!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2017, 12:45:44 PM »

Miami. My Mammy.

All Because of You
Stand Up Comedy
Get On Your Boots
Unknown Caller
Wild Honey
Peace On Earth
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
Miracle Drug
Crums From Your Table
Yahweh
Original of the Species
When I Look At the World
Song For Someone
Iris (Hold Me Close)

99% of what has been released by who?

Everyone? If that is what you are saying then i would have to respectfully disagree - there are some amazing artists writing amazing songs about incredible subjects where the lyrics are great and challenging, thought provoking, gut wrenching, referencing deep and at times startling subject matter etc etc etc.

None of that makes Bono any worse as a lyricist or dilutes his work but to claim he is writing stuff better than 99% of what has been out there in the last 15 years is in my opinion a little far fetched and maybe a little one eyed....especially when you are talking about the songs listed which for me is a very mixed bag.

If that is what you are saying!

All about opinions of course and if you genuinely feel that then hey fair enough, but for me it is a very, very bold claim.

Makes an interesting discussion topic though.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 12:48:12 PM by an tha »

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2017, 01:57:05 PM »

Miami. My Mammy.

All Because of You
Stand Up Comedy
Get On Your Boots
Unknown Caller
Wild Honey
Peace On Earth
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
Miracle Drug
Crums From Your Table
Yahweh
Original of the Species
When I Look At the World
Song For Someone
Iris (Hold Me Close)

It kind of does, though. Like you said about Miami, that lyric fits very well in the theme of the song. It fits so well that you can overlook how dumb the lyrics look on paper. Same can be said for a lot of classic song lyrics (and no, I'm not calling any of post-00s U2 classic, just saying I don't get the hate for the lyrics). Perhaps if I were comparing U2's post-00s output to the great eras of music (the 60s, 70s, parts of the 80s and 90s) I might get annoyed at the lyrics, but as it is, they're far better than a lot of recent songs.
I don't Miami's lyrics are dumb on paper, though. You don't need to listen to the song to grasp the concept of what these lyrics mean. Theme and context are different things.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2017, 04:12:06 PM »

Miami. My Mammy.

All Because of You
Stand Up Comedy
Get On Your Boots
Unknown Caller
Wild Honey
Peace On Earth
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
Miracle Drug
Crums From Your Table
Yahweh
Original of the Species
When I Look At the World
Song For Someone
Iris (Hold Me Close)

Everyone? If that is what you are saying then i would have to respectfully disagree - there are some amazing artists writing amazing songs about incredible subjects where the lyrics are great and challenging, thought provoking, gut wrenching, referencing deep and at times startling subject matter etc etc etc.

None of that makes Bono any worse as a lyricist or dilutes his work but to claim he is writing stuff better than 99% of what has been out there in the last 15 years is in my opinion a little far fetched and maybe a little one eyed....especially when you are talking about the songs listed which for me is a very mixed bag.

All about opinions of course and if you genuinely feel that then hey fair enough, but for me it is a very, very bold claim.

No, not entirely what I was saying. To clarify (and I should have done this to begin with): I was talking about popular music today. Artists that are on pop, modern rock, alternative rock stations, at least here in America and possibly the world depending on how radio works in different countries. The Ed Sheerans, the Beyonces, the Adeles, the Nickelbacks, the *insert generic pop/rock band here*s of the world. For all intents and purposes, that's what we're comparing 00s and 10s U2 to because they've made it clear that pop radio hits are their main goal at this point.

I'm not talking about indie artists or those who aren't known in most households. That's an entirely different ballgame and one in which I'd agree, many of U2's post-00 lyrics compare weakly to. There's a lot of great current artists out there, but many of them are pretty unknown to most casual music fans.

But think about the radio landscape today. Think about the songs you hear, the artists who are "big". Compare their lyrics to just about any U2 song of the past 17 years and as I said, U2's lyrics almost seem brilliant by comparison. Which I guess says a lot about the musical landscape today and the fact that the best artists are often the ones who go completely overlooked.

A song like "Song For Someone" if released by a younger band...even though it is not a great song...it would have been a pop radio hit. It was certainly better than a lot of what charted that year, but stalled on the charts due to the age factor and possibly because pop-rock isn't the big seller it was back in the early-mid 00s. But some pop-rock hits do happen and I think that's what U2 envisioned with that song.

Do I want U2 to go back to making the music they did in the 90s? That bold sound? Absolutely. That's my favorite era of U2. But I would argue that even the safe radio music they've been making the past almost two decades is far superior to 99% of what's been popular on the radio in that same time span.

So when people complain about the music that U2's been making the past couple decades, I get it. I understand the frustration. But trust me, it could be a LOT worse. And as a fan I'm grateful that even their "worst" is still pretty good comparatively speaking.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2017, 04:45:52 PM »

Miami. My Mammy.

All Because of You
Stand Up Comedy
Get On Your Boots
Unknown Caller
Wild Honey
Peace On Earth
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
Miracle Drug
Crums From Your Table
Yahweh
Original of the Species
When I Look At the World
Song For Someone
Iris (Hold Me Close)

No, not entirely what I was saying. To clarify (and I should have done this to begin with): I was talking about popular music today. Artists that are on pop, modern rock, alternative rock stations, at least here in America and possibly the world depending on how radio works in different countries. The Ed Sheerans, the Beyonces, the Adeles, the Nickelbacks, the *insert generic pop/rock band here*s of the world. For all intents and purposes, that's what we're comparing 00s and 10s U2 to because they've made it clear that pop radio hits are their main goal at this point.

I'm not talking about indie artists or those who aren't known in most households. That's an entirely different ballgame and one in which I'd agree, many of U2's post-00 lyrics compare weakly to. There's a lot of great current artists out there, but many of them are pretty unknown to most casual music fans.

But think about the radio landscape today. Think about the songs you hear, the artists who are "big". Compare their lyrics to just about any U2 song of the past 17 years and as I said, U2's lyrics almost seem brilliant by comparison. Which I guess says a lot about the musical landscape today and the fact that the best artists are often the ones who go completely overlooked.

A song like "Song For Someone" if released by a younger band...even though it is not a great song...it would have been a pop radio hit. It was certainly better than a lot of what charted that year, but stalled on the charts due to the age factor and possibly because pop-rock isn't the big seller it was back in the early-mid 00s. But some pop-rock hits do happen and I think that's what U2 envisioned with that song.

Do I want U2 to go back to making the music they did in the 90s? That bold sound? Absolutely. That's my favorite era of U2. But I would argue that even the safe radio music they've been making the past almost two decades is far superior to 99% of what's been popular on the radio in that same time span.

So when people complain about the music that U2's been making the past couple decades, I get it. I understand the frustration. But trust me, it could be a LOT worse. And as a fan I'm grateful that even their "worst" is still pretty good comparatively speaking.

Clarified really nicely - thanks for that.

Always good to engage in reasoned, balanced and thougtful/thought provoking discussion.

I don't listen to mainstream radio and I have absolutely no idea who or what is big.....So I can't compare what u2 are writing to any of that.... I can only compare what u2 are writing to the stuff I listen to....for what comparisons are actually worth.

What I will say is for me personally u2 still excel when they are writing about 'deeper' subject matters (for want of a better phrase) and making 'darker' or 'heavier' music thematically as well as musically.... but they are very weak when they are in 'pop rock/this could be a radio hit' (again for want of a better phrase) mode.

But then I have never liked that side of u2 or music generally very much at all.....lots of others feel differently. None of us are 'right' but as I say its a good discussion point.

*I obviously reserve the right to be right when it comes to Elevation though*  :)

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2017, 04:59:13 PM »
Without The Sweetest Thing there would be no Wild Honey.

The positive reception of this track was U2s sliding doors moment.  ;)

Offline Achtung Ninja

• Babyface
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2017, 05:36:52 PM »
I remember it was in a scene in Vanilla Sky.  If I remember correctly, it was at Tom Cruise's character's birthday party.  It was brief, but I remember thinking, U2 must be cool with TC.
huh. I don't remember that...but speaking of TC, the fact that he has been portrayed in the Jack Reacher movies is ridiculous...I've read the books, and Jack Reacher is a BIG guy, with BIG hands and a BIG body. TC is just a little dude...

Agreed.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2017, 07:01:05 PM »
Without The Sweetest Thing there would be no Wild Honey.

The positive reception of this track was U2s sliding doors moment.  ;)
Could it be argued that without The Sweetest Thing there would be no All That You Can't Leave Behind?