Author Topic: The little things that give you away  (Read 63197 times)

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
Re: The little things that give you away
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2017, 06:50:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My first thoughts are that it sounds like where they left off with SFS and EBW, but then the song moves more uptempo in the second half.  Would like to see footage from open stadium (am I right in thinking the roof was closed at BC Place?) from one of the next few dates to really try and appreciate it.  I think that it might 'carry' better outside as it does have a kind of 'swirling' feel to it through drums, guitars and vocals - particularly as the song progresses.
As for 'the end' stuff. I panicked.  And then read the lyrics.  It's about Bono having writers block and thinking that's it, no more.  But the last lyric is Bono. Teasing. The. Listener. (and maybe himself)
Not yet, Bono.  Please.

I agree, people are reading way too much into "the end" lyrics. Perhaps because it was used as the final song of the night, but I highly doubt these guys are close to hanging it up. I'd expect they'll tour a bit less in the coming years, but they'll still be around, making the occasional album, much in the same way the Stones have stuck around. And if the Stones can still tour in their 70s after extensive drug use earlier in their career, I see no reason why U2 can't continue to tour well into their 60s or 70s, should they so choose. They all seem to be pretty healthy guys.

Agree tigerfan41.  I'm hoping this is another 'go away and dream it up again' scenario, but I need to wait for the new album to come out and hopefully hear a studio version of 'The Little Things That Give You Away' and see what comes of SOE.  Don't know what has happened to the mooted Songs of Ascent, but I guess I'd like to see a more offbeat, artistic and less commercial U2 in a few years' time.

Offline Stateless

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2017, 07:01:12 PM »
I really like this song.  It is classic U2, but it is different that what they have done in the past.  The structure of the song, lyrics and music is really good and I really want to hear the studio version now.  Hopefully they wont wait too long to release the song officially. 

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2017, 07:35:56 PM »
My first thoughts are that it sounds like where they left off with SFS and EBW, but then the song moves more uptempo in the second half.  Would like to see footage from open stadium (am I right in thinking the roof was closed at BC Place?) from one of the next few dates to really try and appreciate it.  I think that it might 'carry' better outside as it does have a kind of 'swirling' feel to it through drums, guitars and vocals - particularly as the song progresses.
As for 'the end' stuff. I panicked.  And then read the lyrics.  It's about Bono having writers block and thinking that's it, no more.  But the last lyric is Bono. Teasing. The. Listener. (and maybe himself)
Not yet, Bono.  Please.

I agree, people are reading way too much into "the end" lyrics. Perhaps because it was used as the final song of the night, but I highly doubt these guys are close to hanging it up. I'd expect they'll tour a bit less in the coming years, but they'll still be around, making the occasional album, much in the same way the Stones have stuck around. And if the Stones can still tour in their 70s after extensive drug use earlier in their career, I see no reason why U2 can't continue to tour well into their 60s or 70s, should they so choose. They all seem to be pretty healthy guys.

Agree tigerfan41.  I'm hoping this is another 'go away and dream it up again' scenario, but I need to wait for the new album to come out and hopefully hear a studio version of 'The Little Things That Give You Away' and see what comes of SOE.  Don't know what has happened to the mooted Songs of Ascent, but I guess I'd like to see a more offbeat, artistic and less commercial U2 in a few years' time.

It's my understanding that they had around 2-3 albums finished after NLOTH (including SoA) and just never released those. Perhaps someday those songs will get released as bonus tracks. I don't expect them to release SoA at this point, but SoE by year's end is all but a given at this point.

I'd love to see them make music that they're passionate about. Less emphasis on staying relevant/scoring another pop hit, more emphasis on creativity. These guys still have the ability to make great records, it's just the perfectionist tendencies/desire to score a pop hit that's been holding them back the last couple albums.

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2017, 08:22:34 PM »
Not yet, Bono.  Please.

It's my understanding that they had around 2-3 albums finished after NLOTH (including SoA) and just never released those. Perhaps someday those songs will get released as bonus tracks. I don't expect them to release SoA at this point, but SoE by year's end is all but a given at this point.

I'd love to see them make music that they're passionate about. Less emphasis on staying relevant/scoring another pop hit, more emphasis on creativity. These guys still have the ability to make great records, it's just the perfectionist tendencies/desire to score a pop hit that's been holding them back the last couple albums.

I think you are stretching too much the idea of a quick release after NLOTH to think they had 2-3 albums finished. At best, they had a bunch of unfinished ideas and jams that could become songs, like the ones they were playing at the 360 tour (and Winter and Soon).

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2017, 08:42:23 PM »
Not yet, Bono.  Please.

I think you are stretching too much the idea of a quick release after NLOTH to think they had 2-3 albums finished. At best, they had a bunch of unfinished ideas and jams that could become songs, like the ones they were playing at the 360 tour (and Winter and Soon).

They had SoA and some sort of dance/electronic album mostly done after NLOTH that we know of. This was around the time they were changing producers constantly, somewhere around 2010/2011/2012. Whether or not these were good songs, who knows. But this is the same band that put out 5 albums during the 80s, 2 albums in quick succession during the 90s, and have been working/delaying albums ever since. I wouldn't doubt that they have dozens/hundreds of songs in the bucket that have never been released.

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2017, 10:03:34 PM »
The lyrics are lovely, but for me the music lacks punch, so it's a big MEH from me.

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2017, 11:56:37 PM »
LOVED IT!

Offline jules

• Stateless
« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2017, 04:45:46 AM »
Killer tune!

Offline wraitii

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2017, 05:10:25 AM »
Bit of Disappearing act, bit of Mercy, bit of North and South of the River.

Seems like it'd be a really solid album track. Feeling the lyrics so far.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2017, 07:51:54 AM »
Edge is just not that good a piano player to be using it as heavily as he does to be honest.

Again though, let's hear the studio version, in the context of the rest of the album, without first night nerves and all that stuff.

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2017, 01:12:57 PM »
Not feeling the melody yet, but really solid lyrics, hats off to Bono!

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #116 on: May 14, 2017, 01:17:05 PM »
I thought it sounded a little like Aslan - which not necessarily a bad thing.

Offline ZEROpartII

• Child of Grace
« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2017, 01:24:21 PM »
The first verses had the spirit of this guy flowing through
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2017, 04:31:43 PM »
No doubt Bono's voice is soaring higher than the clouds on this one

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2017, 04:50:35 PM »
It's ok.

I like that it goes places at the end, but does sound like it's a bit of a work in progress in the jamming part.  Not a huge fan of the edge sound at the end, very reminiscent of the cobl guitar part (and probably hundreds of others). The electric beat, bass and keyboard in the main body of the song would have allowed this to take flight in a different sonic direction and try something a bit different, so a shame they didn't.

Like others have said, a studio version is likely to have good potential.