Author Topic: The little things that give you away  (Read 63975 times)

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
Re: The little things that give you away
« Reply #135 on: May 15, 2017, 08:33:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They look and perform so well in Stadiums. It got me thinking, could this be the last time we see a stadium tour from U2?

Nope. I can almost guarantee they'll do a stadium tour of some sort of their 50th anniversary. All bands who are around that long do this.

Offline Daniel94

• Refugee
« Reply #136 on: May 15, 2017, 08:46:20 PM »
I like it. There's a kind of genuine vulnerability and drama that I haven't heard from Bono in a while. Drums are great, very raw and dynamic. I actually do like the piano, though the guitar solos could definitely use more intensity LIB-style. I can't really hear Adam all that well so I'll have to reserve judgement for a better recording or the studio version.

This song aches for raw/live sounding production. If it gets overpolished, it'll be severely diminished. So no stupid modulating effects on Bono's voice, no plasticized pianos, and no muted rhythm section. Fingers crossed Lillywhite beats out Tedder. 

Edit: in the brief moment that I can hear Adam, it appears he's using delay on his bass. Has he ever done this before?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 08:53:08 PM by Daniel94 »

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #137 on: May 15, 2017, 09:26:28 PM »
The lyrics are interesting. It sounds like it's set during the JT to Rattle and Hum transition....

Offline YouGoOn

• Babyface
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2017, 09:54:15 AM »
I love the song. I think they've written some of their best stuff in the last few years (EBW, Crystal Ballroom, SLABT).

monopoly

« Reply #139 on: May 16, 2017, 10:03:16 AM »
Original lyrics:

Is that your fountainpen,
navy with a nib of gold?
You never could write so well
or do anything you were told
on 10 Cedarwood Road

I'm your older self
the song of experience.
I've come to ask for some help
from your song of innocence.

Lead me in the way I should go
I'm running out of chances to blow.
That's what you told me
and you should know.

Lead me in the way I should be
unravel the mystery
of the heart and its defense
the morning after innocence.

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2017, 10:20:03 AM »
They look and perform so well in Stadiums. It got me thinking, could this be the last time we see a stadium tour from U2?

Imo, absolutely not. The band do both arenas and stadiums brilliantly, depending how SOE sounds will probably determine weather they do some stadiums next time out or not, also there's the fact they obviously invested a lot in the technology of the i+E tour for arenas. can't wait for London and Dublin!

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
  • Who's to say what it is will break you
« Reply #141 on: May 16, 2017, 10:54:47 AM »
I can't stop listening to it.  I have a feeling it's going to be a big hit

Offline larrys pants

• Stateless
« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2017, 11:41:18 AM »
They're on a rich vein of songwriting form, I have never seen Bono so fragile and vulnerable but tapping into the national consciousness again, singing about anxiety, innocence dying, being awake at 4 in the morning are all first for Mr hopeful and optimistic. Remember what he said about writing Beautiful Day, about how it's so easy to be cynical and negative and he chose to look for the positives. It really connected with me this song , love it,  keep them coming!!!

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2017, 01:21:37 PM »
They're on a rich vein of songwriting form, I have never seen Bono so fragile and vulnerable but tapping into the national consciousness again, singing about anxiety, innocence dying, being awake at 4 in the morning are all first for Mr hopeful and optimistic. Remember what he said about writing Beautiful Day, about how it's so easy to be cynical and negative and he chose to look for the positives. It really connected with me this song , love it,  keep them coming!!!

I agree - Bono is tapping into the consciousness of listeners now. Anxiety, losing innocence, awake at 4am.  I wonder if 90%+ of his listeners don't write songs?  But he ends with "sometimes" and not 'always'.  He looks forward with hope. I just see him as a presence of light in what can be a dark world and I hope that the JT2017 tour will bring a beam of light in this f***ed up world.

Offline Lizard

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Heard a song that made some sense out of the world
« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2017, 02:03:09 PM »
I agree. It's a great song and it fits the end of the show very well. Like it very much.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2017, 02:19:04 PM »

Listening to this closely, and looking at the Morning After Innocence lyrics, it's starting to become very obvious that this song is Bono calling himself out over what he seems to have lost recently as an artist, and the realization that he really may be finished, creatively.   Obviously, I am bringing my own biases to the table, but I think that he recognizes a lot of the kinds of problems that we have discussed on this forum lately. The irony is that he is using the song to end a show that is probably the greatest symbol of their creative struggles of late.

If you listen to the Seattle performance, he is trying not to cry when he sings "I can't get back inside".

He needs to do a very quick turn around on the political grandstanding and nostalgia trips and get back to making music that defies expectations, or it's World's Greatest U2 Cover Band in their future.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 06:53:46 PM by This Dave »

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2017, 03:01:09 PM »
I need some English lessons...

What does the title mean exactly?

My first interpretation was 'you give little things away', but I think that's not right. Does it mean more something like 'you like the little things [in life]'?

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2017, 03:02:40 PM »

My first interpretation was 'you give little things away', but I think that's not right. Does it mean more something like 'you like the little things [in life]'?

It's more like the small details that reveal who you are (as a person, as a character, the things you keep hidden inside, etc or even more literally...make you visible).

"give you away" is idiom or phrase in english for reveal your true identity
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 03:05:06 PM by aviastar »

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #148 on: May 16, 2017, 03:03:47 PM »

The simplest way to understand it would be "The hints that you are hiding something"

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #149 on: May 16, 2017, 03:16:52 PM »

Listening to this closely, and looking at the Morning After Innocence lyrics, it's starting to become very obvious that this song is Bono calling himself out over what he seems to have lost recently as an artist, and the realization that he really may be finished, creatively.   Obviously, I am bringing my own biases to the table, but I think that he recognizes a lot of the kinds of problems that we have discussed on this form lately. The irony is that he is using the song to you and a show that is probably the greatest symbol of their creative struggles of late.

If you listen to the Seattle performance, he is trying not to cry when he sings "I can't get back inside".

He needs to do a very quick turn around on the political grandstanding and nostalgia trips and get back to making music that defies expectations, or it's World's Greatest U2 Cover Band in their future.

I think you might be right.

He definitely nearly cries there I just watched it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 02:46:48 AM by eddyjedi »