Author Topic: The little things that give you away  (Read 63232 times)

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
Re: The little things that give you away
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2017, 12:17:26 PM »
My first thoughts are that it sounds like where they left off with SFS and EBW, but then the song moves more uptempo in the second half.  Would like to see footage from open stadium (am I right in thinking the roof was closed at BC Place?) from one of the next few dates to really try and appreciate it.  I think that it might 'carry' better outside as it does have a kind of 'swirling' feel to it through drums, guitars and vocals - particularly as the song progresses.
As for 'the end' stuff. I panicked.  And then read the lyrics.  It's about Bono having writers block and thinking that's it, no more.  But the last lyric is Bono. Teasing. The. Listener. (and maybe himself)
Not yet, Bono.  Please.

Offline mc

• Stateless
« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2017, 12:26:17 PM »
Im still thinking a double album is on the way with Experience and Ascent...this could be the closing song of Ascent...and The End

Offline ZEROpartII

• Child of Grace
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2017, 12:31:37 PM »
I like it.  It's a song for their time.  I keep hearing a Sinatra-esque eloquence in the melody in the first half. Then instead of puttering around the song turns into an inverse anthem, ramping up to its climax.  Mature songcraft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U2_One

« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2017, 12:33:11 PM »
It's a grower. I liked what it built up to and where it ended up. Know it isn't the first time, but I find it's interesting to debut a song in a live setting. Would like to see it stick around the setlist.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2017, 12:33:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I like it.  It's a song for their time.  I keep hearing a Sinatra-esque eloquence in the melody in the first half. Then instead of puttering around the song turns into an inverse anthem, ramping up to its climax.  Mature songcraft.

Agreed.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2017, 12:36:18 PM »
Meh. Bog standard U2 the likes of which they can probably produce in their sleep.

Let's wait for a full studio version for a complete assesment though.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2017, 12:39:15 PM »
I just gave it another listen on @U2's YouTube channel... which is of much better quality, so thank you to the staff-member who does the uploads!

I find the first half of the song to be pretty uninteresting. The electronic drumming at the start sounds superimposed over the piano bit and clunky. Actually, the entire first half sounds clunky and stitched-together. The chorus is underwhelming and I dislike the lyrics here, but it isn't horrible.

After the first chorus, Larry's live drumming kicks in and it brings more life to the song, thankfully. Adam's bass-line sounds fantastic, as well. I am very excited to hear him on SOE! He is noticeably impressive on both the Kendrick Lamar track and this song.

Eventually, Edge finally makes an appearance on guitar during the "sometimes" section of the song. At first, his stratchy guitar is unwelcoming and feels rather thrown-in... but it does start to feel more natural when his solo kicks in (which sounds great, by the way). At the end of Edge's solo, Bono sings "sometimes" again and is where I expect Little Things to finish. However, it does continue for a few more bars as Bono repeats his lyric. That's a small thing, but it feels almost pretentious... sort of like the ending to One Tree Hill.

Overall, it's a decent track. Some of the issues I noted (clunkiness, especially) probably aren't even present in the studio version of this track. After all, the only incarnation we have of this song is the first-ever live performance of it! I can't definitively state that it is good or bad until I've heard an official release.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2017, 12:40:30 PM »

This was one of my first feelings I had about the song. U2 could not have done something like this 25+ years ago.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2017, 01:24:55 PM »
I think its a good song with very personal lyrics from Bono. The lyrics makes this song for me - would love an interpretation of them - though it would benefit from a more interesting arrangement.

Offline MattD

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2017, 03:27:41 PM »
Okay, while listening to it again, I think the lyrics are far superior than anything from that first half of Songs of Innocence (the only bit to rival is the 'the stars are bright but do they know, the universe is beautiful but cold' from Iris). Reading through the lyrics as I was listening to the song, I was moved a lot more when concentrating on it, and some of the cliches I thought were there were actually me mishearing a couple of lyrics (e.g. I thought it was 'I wake at four in the morning/when the darkness has fallen'!).

The little bit that goes "Oh, Im not a ghost there, I can see you, you need to see me" was something that seemed to strike a chord with its desperate emotive plea.

The song itself is much better than anything in that first half of Songs of Innocence too.

For a slow stately song, at least it isn't anything like the utter dreck that is Song For Someone. Something to build upon and I hope there's some more ambitious stuff on it too obviously.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 03:38:27 PM by MattD »

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2017, 03:29:54 PM »
Here's a link with the best audio I've heard so far: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The song is beautiful. Beautiful indeed. I just really really wish there's more to it than that piano. PLEASE U2 I HAVE NEVER ASKED YOU ANYTHING!!

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2017, 03:58:55 PM »
A lot of comparisons with Mercy (understandable), but I'd say this song has the vibe of Disappearing Act too.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2017, 04:08:18 PM »
Okay, while listening to it again, I think the lyrics are far superior than anything from that first half of Songs of Innocence (the only bit to rival is the 'the stars are bright but do they know, the universe is beautiful but cold' from Iris). Reading through the lyrics as I was listening to the song, I was moved a lot more when concentrating on it, and some of the cliches I thought were there were actually me mishearing a couple of lyrics (e.g. I thought it was 'I wake at four in the morning/when the darkness has fallen'!).

The little bit that goes "Oh, Im not a ghost there, I can see you, you need to see me" was something that seemed to strike a chord with its desperate emotive plea.

The song itself is much better than anything in that first half of Songs of Innocence too.

For a slow stately song, at least it isn't anything like the utter dreck that is Song For Someone. Something to build upon and I hope there's some more ambitious stuff on it too obviously.
Yes, that part just begs for more attention... the piano doesn't do any justice for it.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2017, 06:24:56 PM »
A lot of comparisons with Mercy (understandable), but I'd say this song has the vibe of Disappearing Act too.

Nice comparison!

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2017, 06:37:41 PM »
My first thoughts are that it sounds like where they left off with SFS and EBW, but then the song moves more uptempo in the second half.  Would like to see footage from open stadium (am I right in thinking the roof was closed at BC Place?) from one of the next few dates to really try and appreciate it.  I think that it might 'carry' better outside as it does have a kind of 'swirling' feel to it through drums, guitars and vocals - particularly as the song progresses.
As for 'the end' stuff. I panicked.  And then read the lyrics.  It's about Bono having writers block and thinking that's it, no more.  But the last lyric is Bono. Teasing. The. Listener. (and maybe himself)
Not yet, Bono.  Please.

I agree, people are reading way too much into "the end" lyrics. Perhaps because it was used as the final song of the night, but I highly doubt these guys are close to hanging it up. I'd expect they'll tour a bit less in the coming years, but they'll still be around, making the occasional album, much in the same way the Stones have stuck around. And if the Stones can still tour in their 70s after extensive drug use earlier in their career, I see no reason why U2 can't continue to tour well into their 60s or 70s, should they so choose. They all seem to be pretty healthy guys.