Poll

What do you think it will be with only 4 days remaining?

A Sort Of Homecoming
29 (29.9%)
Sunday Bloody Sunday
20 (20.6%)
Something from Boy
23 (23.7%)
Something new
0 (0%)
Something else
25 (25.8%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: Poll: Opening Song  (Read 2286 times)

Offline DPardue

• Wanderer
Re: Poll: Opening Song
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 12:24:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Streets perfectly opens TJT & perfectly opened the 1987 shows.

Therefore it should open this TJT tour. Be a bit weird opening with a song from another album.

I (obviously) don't know if they will open the show with it, but with that being said, it is the by far their best opening song and quite frankly one of the best opening live songs in the history of rock and roll.   The song was almost built for that.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 01:07:26 PM »

Are you going to play the album in sequence at the shows?
I believe we will, and I say "believe we will" because that is certainly the working assumption right now. The show might not necessarily start with Track One, Side One, "Where the Streets Have No Name," because we feel like maybe we need to build up to that moment, so we're still in the middle of figuring out exactly how the running order will go, so yes. We will be playing the album in sequence.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 01:10:07 PM »

Therefore it should open this TJT tour. Be a bit weird opening with a song from another album.

I (obviously) don't know if they will open the show with it, but with that being said, it is the by far their best opening song and quite frankly one of the best opening live songs in the history of rock and roll.   The song was almost built for that.

Yes. I don't buy that they need to build up a set before playing it. The first 4 JT tracks wouldn't be a bad way to open.

But if they play JT in sequence up front, the rest of the show then it turns into a themeless mish mash of songs presumably. So see some logic to having it as a centre piece to the show.

Personally don't care about themes, just play your tunes and put on some nice pyrotechnics...

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 01:19:09 PM »
look at it this way, Streets is a U2 concert highlight, you can't open with the best concert song you've got.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 01:30:31 PM »
look at it this way, Streets is a U2 concert highlight, you can't open with the best concert song you've got.

Yes I get that view. But never the highlight for me personally. Once the intro is over and song has built up my interest wanes. I think I would appreciate it more as the opener and my interest more sustained because it's their first song. But usually it's played 3/4 of the way in as a pick me up, at which point I've already heard plenty of songs I look forward to more than streets.

Offline Jswallow

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2017, 01:42:06 PM »
Elevation, come on with the stadium lights on just like the tour in 2001,  Instant lift off !!

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline DPardue

• Wanderer
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2017, 01:53:30 PM »

Yes. I don't buy that they need to build up a set before playing it. The first 4 JT tracks wouldn't be a bad way to open.

But if they play JT in sequence up front, the rest of the show then it turns into a themeless mish mash of songs presumably. So see some logic to having it as a centre piece to the show.

Personally don't care about themes, just play your tunes and put on some nice pyrotechnics...

Yes...

I do agree with this.  You really can't open the show with The Joshua Tree.  It is THE focal point of the show.  It's like having the climax of a movie in the first 45 minutes and leaving the rest of the movie to sort of dangle.  Playing it at the beginning sort of suggests it is a quick throwaway to me, which is obviously not the case here.  I don't think having Streets open in this context is necessarily a good thing, but generally speaking, under other non Joshua Tree tours, it is a barnburner of a tune to open and by far the best opener in their catalog.   I think the Joshua Tree is right smack dab in the middle with the older hits (Pride, Vertigo, One, etc.) bringing up the rear.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2017, 07:50:37 PM »
Sunday Bloody Sunday would be good given the times we are in, and also Homecoming i, to me, very anti-trump since it is about borders bleeding and coming together - so it wold be great.

Offline DanoTarini

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2017, 12:27:23 PM »
It's gonna be Red Hill Mining Town...