Author Topic: Shorter person in GA  (Read 3183 times)

Offline CalgaryAndrew

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Shorter person in GA
« on: May 10, 2017, 10:10:49 PM »
I remember someone posting a very similar post several months back but I can't find it.  I haven't been to a stadium concert since the Pop Tour.  Now I'm going with my 12 year old son to Vancouver and we have GA tickets. Of course last time I was on the floor was for the Achtung Tour (can't remember if that was the name, but I do remember their being chairs on the floor).   So my son's probably just under 5 feet tall.  Should I just assume he's going to have a hard time seeing and we should just hang out at the back of the floor?  Or do we hustle to get in there to be in the thick of things?  Ugh.

In the other thread (that I can't find) there was no clear opinion, but someone did say that at a previous concert they had fencing part way back, splitting the floor in half to minimize everyone crammed at the front, so the suggestion was to get in early enough to be in the front half and hang back at the fencing at the halfway mark.

Any solid opinions?

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Shorter person in GA
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 10:48:54 PM »
Are you planning on waiting in line long? That will really determine if it's even possible for you to get close. I'm 5'6" & struggle to see, so always arrive very early to get a rail spot. The main stage is very tall, maybe 8'-9', so that helps with sight lines over the crowd. The B-stage is lower a little under 5' I'd guess.

One place I'd probably recommend for those with younger children is the area just behind Red Zone. It's off to the side a little (Edge's side), so not right in the heart of the action. But close to the b-stage & still closer than even the best seats. I'd think that you'd be able to get a rail spot here if you arrive about the time the gates open. A rail would be great for kids, plus there should be nobody directly in front of you, as it's the back of Red Zone.

I'd recommended this spot for a pregnant woman, & posted pictures on this thread,
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 05:29:22 PM by d.darroch »

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 08:29:24 AM »
My wife is about 5'2 and some change. The good thing about GA is, unless you want to get right up against the rail, you have a little breathing room to angle a better view. We did GA for Boston on I+E, and she didn't have any problems seeing. We were maybe 20 feet back on Edge's side, close enough that some of Bono's water landed on us.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 10:46:53 AM »
I think the key is not to try to get to the front, if you just hang back a bit you can see easier. I'll repost after Santa Clara next week. I am not going early cause I have no interest in the opening act and don't want to stress.

Offline CalgaryAndrew

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 05:16:36 PM »
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I'll report how we make out with it, in case it helps anyone else out.

Offline seby19

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 06:00:34 PM »
I was the one who posted a couple of months ago about my daughter going and being short.  We now have 2 girls going that are pretty short and we are going to have to arrive later in the day so I am interested to hear how it works out for others before they get to Chicago so we have a game plan.

Offline CalgaryAndrew

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 10:41:35 AM »
I'm flying to Vancouver this afternoon and will be arriving after the gate opens.  I'll keep you posted.  SOOOO excited!

Offline CalgaryAndrew

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 10:17:53 AM »
D.Darroch,  you're advice was awesome!

We arrived at BC place at 5:10pm with doors opening at 5:30 and it took is 2 hours to get in the door.

When we went down to the floor my son and I stopped at two different spots for about 10 minutes when I then suggested he stay in place while I go over to the red zone. Lo and behold there was space for us right in the corner on the fence If was absolutely perfect. A security guard positioned himself just in front of us and because it was the corner nobody stood there.  The band started on the B stage so red zone people did shirt back so the view was limited for my son for the first opening songs but still the fence gave him a view straight through to the B stage. When the band moved to the big stage, everyone in the red zone shifter forward and we had a unobstructed view the entire night. I took a few specific photos to share what it looked like from his height.

Offline CalgaryAndrew

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 10:19:20 AM »
Back I will post the photos somewhere and then share. Will do that shortly.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 06:32:56 PM »
Cool, that's great news Andrew. Glad your son got to see it all, must have been a great experience for a 12 year old.

Yeah, upload some pics, I'd be interested to see them. Here's one I found, kinda showing the layout, but missing the b-stage.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 06:36:09 PM by d.darroch »

monopoly

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 07:22:44 PM »
Cool, that's great news Andrew. Glad your son got to see it all, must have been a great experience for a 12 year old.

Yeah, upload some pics, I'd be interested to see them. Here's one I found, kinda showing the layout, but missing the b-stage.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This is actually a really awesome view!

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 07:29:19 PM »
Right in front of the $280 seats, right behind the $350 RZ area  :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 07:35:46 PM by d.darroch »

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
  • Love is clockworks and cold steel
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 12:15:49 PM »
The B stage is to the right of the photo, but this is actually not a bad spot!  There was a family of 5 in front of us facing the catwalk, next to the rail.  The youngest spent part of a song on her dad's shoulders.  I suspect they blocked the view of several people, so luckily it was short-lived.  They were probably queued most of the day.

Spacejunk69

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 12:19:23 PM »
The B stage is to the right of the photo, but this is actually not a bad spot!  There was a family of 5 in front of us facing the catwalk, next to the rail.  The youngest spent part of a song on her dad's shoulders.  I suspect they blocked the view of several people, so luckily it was short-lived.  They were probably queued most of the day.

Yes, this is a great spot. I was just to the right of the B Stage (another brilliant spot). I might head to the left like in these photos for tonight's show.

Offline CalgaryAndrew

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 09:20:05 PM »
Hey D.Darroch, that is EXACTLY where we stood - lol! That bald headed security guy was right in front of us. As the show started he moved forward 10 feet. there was NOBODY in front of us. The fence running to the right was aligned with the B stage so I could look down it and see the band with nobody in the way.  We had an awesome view of the stage.