Author Topic: Vital Signs and Unknown Caller  (Read 822 times)

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
Vital Signs and Unknown Caller
« on: May 12, 2017, 01:01:14 PM »
So, I was listening to Moving Pictures by Rush for the first time in a very long time, when n came Vital Signs.  It struck me and I remembered how much I loved that song and thought it one of the best for that album.  Still do in hind sight and after that listen.

It also occurred to me how the techno rap sort of lyrics and style could be  seen as similar to Unknown Caller or vice versa since UC came out well after VS.  Whil I think VS is a much better song  in that rap, chant rock lyric approach, I could not help be observe the stylistic approach similarities to the two songs.

Am I nuts or is anyone else with me on this one?

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: Vital Signs and Unknown Caller
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 01:46:31 PM »
Man, I had to look up the lyrics to even remember the Rush song.  Which, IIRC, always came across to me as aping the Police, who I know Rush admired at the time.

I dunno.  I don't see much similarity, though I view Vital Signs as a lesser Rush song, but Unknown Caller as a dismal U2 song.

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 01:51:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Man, I had to look up the lyrics to even remember the Rush song.  Which, IIRC, always came across to me as aping the Police, who I know Rush admired at the time.

I dunno.  I don't see much similarity, though I view Vital Signs as a lesser Rush song, but Unknown Caller as a dismal U2 song.

Yes, now that you mention it, I can definitely hear The Police influence in there.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 02:23:09 PM »
I can hear the Police influence in the Rush song, but I don't hear it in UC.  UC gets a ton of crap but I rather like that song, lyrics aside.  I like the way it opens and unfolds musically.   Also it is really good on the U2 360 Rose Bowl DVD.   Unpopular opinion I suppose - but I like the U2 "chant" songs like UC and Miracle.  I don't understand why they abandoned mid-tour; it's like they didn't want to do a subdued mood piece live or something.

I wouldn't argue that Rush are way more technically proficient, but UC has more feeling to me.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 02:29:54 PM by aviastar »

Offline ultravioletacrobat

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 02:19:22 PM »
Wow! A U2 forum that doesn't crap all over Rush. That's my all-time fav Rush song but I don't hear the comparison, I hear Police/raggae influences though. There's another Rush song that sounds just like U2, in fact to me it was a bit of a nod to U2 - I can't remember it though.