Author Topic: Official Chicago (2) Thread ** Spoilers** 4 June 2017  (Read 5131 times)

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Official Chicago (2) Thread ** Spoilers** 4 June 2017
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2017, 05:50:10 PM »
Yeah, probably not too far from you guys, I think! She definitely looks familiar as well.

Offline U2Fan

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2017, 05:52:09 PM »
So I go to watch the ASOH atu2.com video on YouTube, and the same guy that I've seen at several shows on past tours is again right in the front of the B-stage.  Seriously, does this guy do anything but camp out at U2 concerts? 

Offline yankeesguy86

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2017, 06:40:59 PM »
What a weekend.  I have the voice of Tom Waits and legs of jelly, but it was worth it 100x over. 

Like many of you, I prefer arena shows.  After the amazing experiences I had up close for the I+E shows in 2015, I tempered expectations for GA field (probably smart).  But, if there is a band that can make even the biggest spaces feel small, it's U2.

This is a great tour - not their best, but worthy of a band with U2's live reputation.  Could the set be a bit longer?  Yes.  Did I feel cheated after either of the shows?  No.  In fact, the opening salvo is so powerful that I expended a ton of energy early.

The highlights:
1) Opening on the B-Stage - SBS, NYD, Bad/ASOH, Pride is such a kick-ass start to the show.  I prefer Bad, and wish it and ASOH could BOTH be in setlists going forward.  Either way, the energy was palpable at the start of both shows.  This band knows how to make an entrance, and some of the coolest and most understated ones (Elevation tour, TJT 2017 tour) are the most memorable. 

2) Streets is the best live song, not just by U2 but any band I've ever seen.  They do it justice on this tour (think Rattle & Hum with a gigantic 8K screen awash in red light), and the single song is worth the price of admission.

3) Side B of TJT is for hardcore fans, but the audience was attentive even if they weren't all-too-familiar with the songs.  The best of the bunch?  Exit.  I personally love it when Bono hams it up, and he digs into it with this new character in the cowboy hat.

The encore leaves something to be desired.  Miss Sarajevo is alright, and the accompanying video is quite touching.  One is . . .well, One.  Never been a great live song (at least, not since Zoo TV) but it's tailor-made for a singalong.  Ultraviolet kicks ass, and Bono's voice was on point.  From the field, there were audible reactions as different female icons displayed on the screen.  I don't mind it, and the song speaks for itself.  Beautiful Day-Elevation should be kept as is - tried and true, and the latter gets an incredible response.  I Will Follow ended N1 with a punch, and The Little Things ended the weekend beautifully (though Bad to close would have been all kinds of epic).

I get to see two more shows - Louisville and Cleveland - so it feels good to have seen it, loved it, and know I'll get a couple more cracks at it.  Best of all, what a nice appetizer for the presumed Experience Tour next year.  These shows won't touch my first (Elevation, Indy 2001) or the Chicago 2015 run (3 of the 5 shows), but they are better than the Vertigo and 360 Tour shows I've seen.  Oh, and there is no sign of aging.  The guys came out each night and just played a damn good (and LOUD) rock show.

Offline dlkuhn1974

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2017, 08:59:26 PM »
I'm a noob to this forum, but have been a fan of the site for years.  Last night marked (I think) my 5th U2 show (2 PopMart, 2 Elevation/Atomic Bomb era), but it was my first GA experience.  Holy cow.  What an experience!  My sister and I got in line just as they opened the gates.  We quickly went in and perused the field, but realized after a day of hoofing it around Chicago, we needed food and hydration.  So, we were out on the concourse for about a half hour or more before we went in and staked out our GA spots.  We went in stage right....on Adam's side.  From my estimation, I figured we were about 40 yards from the main stage.  When The Lumineers started, the crowd compressed quickly.  I think we gained about 10 yards.  This happened a few times through the night.  Once Lumineers were done, and the roadies started setting up Larry's B Stage kit, we realized how close we were to the B stage.  Maybe 20 yards.....directly in line with Larry.  That was INCREDIBLE.  A few people went down near us due to (probably) dehydration + intoxication....and I was impressed with security's ability to snake through the crowd to help. 

Overall, I thought the concert was great.  It's probably #2 or #3 of the shows I've seen.  Streets, ASoH, Red Hill, Exit, and Mothers were the songs that really moved me.  Lots of great memories to store in my memory bank from this one.

Doug
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 09:05:52 PM by dlkuhn1974 »

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2017, 11:21:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm a noob to this forum, but have been a fan of the site for years.  Last night marked (I think) my 5th U2 show (2 PopMart, 2 Elevation/Atomic Bomb era), but it was my first GA experience.  Holy cow.  What an experience!  My sister and I got in line just as they opened the gates.  We quickly went in and perused the field, but realized after a day of hoofing it around Chicago, we needed food and hydration.  So, we were out on the concourse for about a half hour or more before we went in and staked out our GA spots.  We went in stage right....on Adam's side.  From my estimation, I figured we were about 40 yards from the main stage.  When The Lumineers started, the crowd compressed quickly.  I think we gained about 10 yards.  This happened a few times through the night.  Once Lumineers were done, and the roadies started setting up Larry's B Stage kit, we realized how close we were to the B stage.  Maybe 20 yards.....directly in line with Larry.  That was INCREDIBLE.  A few people went down near us due to (probably) dehydration + intoxication....and I was impressed with security's ability to snake through the crowd to help. 

Overall, I thought the concert was great.  It's probably #2 or #3 of the shows I've seen.  Streets, ASoH, Red Hill, Exit, and Mothers were the songs that really moved me.  Lots of great memories to store in my memory bank from this one.

Doug
It sounds like you had a great time!