Author Topic: Official Cleveland Thread ** Spoilers** 1 July 2017  (Read 5260 times)

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
Re: Official Cleveland Thread ** Spoilers** 1 July 2017
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2017, 09:48:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Really great images. As far as the GA line thing, I would've told the lady she herself shouldn't be lining up/ making a list so early and that being at the front is pointless. That's pretty rude 😡. I don't understand why u2 loves to bring people who've already been up on stage.

Thanks! Yeah, I was tempted to tell her why and how she was wrong, but I hadn't had my coffee yet and was too tired to argue, lol. I agree, being 2-3 rows back is just fine, still close enough for the band members to see you and for you to see everything (visuals and all).

I'm not sure why they bring up the same people, either. Might be that they know those people won't freak out the way someone totally new might. I would guess bringing up the same people would be predictable and comfortable for U2, just like the setlists.  ;)

Is this your first tour doing GA? I've noticed there's a lot more terrible people on the floor than an indoor tour.

I did GA once on the 360 tour (on the last American leg) but skipped I&E. I had a totally positive experience with GA on the 360 tour and also a positive experience at the Pittsburgh show a few weeks back. This was the first time I had a sort of bad experience with some terrible people on the floor. It's disappointing because we're all adults and we're all better than this behavior.

I'm not sure why they bring up the same people, either. Might be that they know those people won't freak out the way someone totally new might. I would guess bringing up the same people would be predictable and comfortable for U2, just like the setlists.  ;)

You would think so, but that woman in Cleveland was kind of much, even for someone who has been on stage before.

That's a good point. We (my nieces and I, as well as my sister up in the stands) were surprised at how she danced and how close she got to Bono. I wouldn't have been brave enough to dance like that and that closely to him considering the crowd and the fact that he's married (and I have a SO too), but to each their own. I think it's cool to use MW to celebrate woman fans at the show, but I dunno about the provocative dancing being part of it.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2017, 11:20:23 AM »
I thought it was kind of interesting that we went from provocative (some may say exploitive) dancing in MW to "let's celebrate women" in Ultra Violet.

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2017, 12:45:46 PM »
Yeah, that whole GA line thing was just plain stupid. The organizer of the "fan" line has been trying to explain herself as well as defend herself on facebook. I actually know her and talked to her after the show, while she was drunk, and asked her to just leave it be and move on.  I really hope she wasn't the person who told people to leave the line and come back at 5, because that will only add to the negative of what happened and reflect on her.

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2017, 12:46:51 PM »

Funny, or not so funny story. After the first 100 got wrist banded, one of the list people came to the back of the line (where we were) and proceeded to tell us "I don't think it's worth you guys waiting for a wrist band, you might as well just come back at 5pm and line up." She was totally serious and I'm not sure what her motivation was in doing this, but we ignored her and stood in line. As it turns out, if we had followed her "advice" we would have been number 2000 or so to get into the stadium. So if anyone ever tells you not to wait for the wrist band, IGNORE them.

I hope that wasn't a red head with long hair.....

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2017, 01:40:19 PM »

Funny, or not so funny story. After the first 100 got wrist banded, one of the list people came to the back of the line (where we were) and proceeded to tell us "I don't think it's worth you guys waiting for a wrist band, you might as well just come back at 5pm and line up." She was totally serious and I'm not sure what her motivation was in doing this, but we ignored her and stood in line. As it turns out, if we had followed her "advice" we would have been number 2000 or so to get into the stadium. So if anyone ever tells you not to wait for the wrist band, IGNORE them.

I hope that wasn't a red head with long hair.....

Nope, definitely wasn't her. This lady was probably in her 30s-40s, shoulder length blonde hair and if I recall correctly, had a number 33 written on her hand. I have no idea what the purpose of telling people that was, but it was so wrong and if anyone would have fell for it, they would have been quite upset to turn up at 5pm and be bumped down to 2000.

Yeah, that whole GA line thing was just plain stupid. The organizer of the "fan" line has been trying to explain herself as well as defend herself on facebook. I actually know her and talked to her after the show, while she was drunk, and asked her to just leave it be and move on.  I really hope she wasn't the person who told people to leave the line and come back at 5, because that will only add to the negative of what happened and reflect on her.

Yeah, I saw that on the FB group for the Cleveland show. Honestly, I'm beginning to think the best way of handling things would be for the venue to allow queueing up on site at 6am the day of, then give wrist bands out around 8am, and have people come back at 2pm to line up in order of their wrist band number. So almost like Cleveland, but without the list people drama. I think it's sad that the same people tend to be on the rail at multiple shows on the tour, as if they're entitled to a rail spot. It keeps local fans (i.e. ones who haven't been following the band from city to city) from getting a rail spot. And I'm sure the band must get at least a little tired looking at the same spaces.

Me? I don't really need the rail at a U2 concert. 2-3 rows back is fine. At other concerts I do like to get rail, but I also only line up early the day of to get that spot. And I certainly don't feel entitled to it.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2017, 03:19:22 PM »
Not sure if this was mentioned but the woman who was pulled up on stage during MW - she's a regular I guess.  Her name is Beth Whitten and she's from Maine, and was also pulled up for MW in 2015 for a Boston show.  When Bono asks where she's from during the Cleveland concert, she states "tonight we are all from Cleveland".  I am wondering if this is canned/pre-planned.  It seems too scripted...and the fact that it's the same person on the same song - just seems like it's not spontaneous at all.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:23:20 PM by aviastar »

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2017, 02:56:48 PM »
Not sure if this was mentioned but the woman who was pulled up on stage during MW - she's a regular I guess.  Her name is Beth Whitten and she's from Maine, and was also pulled up for MW in 2015 for a Boston show.  When Bono asks where she's from during the Cleveland concert, she states "tonight we are all from Cleveland".  I am wondering if this is canned/pre-planned.  It seems too scripted...and the fact that it's the same person on the same song - just seems like it's not spontaneous at all.

I thought it seemed kind of cheesy and out of place before any info about her repeat performance. The other shows I attended on the tour didn't have the song or audience members on stage and seeing this just made me cringe.