Author Topic: Official Dublin Thread ** Spoilers** 22 July 2017  (Read 3306 times)

Offline pony

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: Official Dublin Thread ** Spoilers** 22 July 2017
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2017, 07:30:21 PM »
Stale, boring and predictable. Everything I'm sure a 25 year old Bono would have been appalled at.

Offline kevincfcu2

• Babyface
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2017, 07:36:48 PM »
Looking back on the gig I'm slightly disappointed.

For a homecoming gig I was in hope that they might pull something special out of the bag. But alas it was not to be, with the usual safe option preferred.

Although I must admit the performance of Bad was fantastic.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 07:50:04 PM by kevincfcu2 »

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2017, 07:43:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Stale, boring and predictable. Everything I'm sure a 25 year old Bono would have been appalled at.

Fans buy (literally buy international plane tickets) into the hype of "a Dublin gig". The biggest rejoicers are the hotel and pub owners counting kaching.

U2 don't have Bruce Springsteen's technical competence. To pull out a new tune (even something played frequently on i+e like Iris) takes rehearsal time and effort.

Seeing as how they don't even attend their own soundchecks day-of show...

Offline kevincfcu2

• Babyface
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2017, 07:47:31 PM »
Dublin must be bustling today!!!!
Yeah, really surprised they only scheduled 1 Dublin show. They could easily sell-out a 2nd on Sunday (23 July) as well, just from the hype and tourists and pilgrims.

Sadly it was something they tried to do but were denied.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Out of interest do you know why?

I know they are allowed only 3 concerts a year, with still one slot still available. It was strange why it wasn't a 2nd gig.

I think they are in the process of booking the third gig. I think they want diversity and spread out these shows.

croke park only gets up to three concerts a year. Coldplay was the first; U2 tonight was the second; and, The Rolling Stones have already been booked as the third.

I would be surprised if there is a third gig i.e. The Rolling Stones at this stage. Given our weather any gig would have to be before the end of September at the latest.

Plus the remaining games for the GAA would have to be factored into things. Not leaving scope for many  available dates. Not to mention roughly only 2 months to sell and distribute 80k+ tickets.

Offline pony

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2017, 08:02:24 PM »

Fans buy (literally buy international plane tickets) into the hype of "a Dublin gig". The biggest rejoicers are the hotel and pub owners counting kaching.

U2 don't have Bruce Springsteen's technical competence. To pull out a new tune (even something played frequently on i+e like Iris) takes rehearsal time and effort.

Seeing as how they don't even attend their own soundchecks day-of show...

Yeah, it's a real shame, no risks taken tonight, it just felt like something the lads were doing on the way home to their own beds tonight. They're going to have to do something special next time to redeem themselves in my eyes. I enjoyed, however, having so many 'foreign' folk around us at the gig. Plenty of English and Europeans and a few Americans, all in good spirits and enjoying the craic.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2017, 01:48:54 PM »
Dublin must be bustling today!!!!
Yeah, really surprised they only scheduled 1 Dublin show. They could easily sell-out a 2nd on Sunday (23 July) as well, just from the hype and tourists and pilgrims.

Sadly it was something they tried to do but were denied.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Out of interest do you know why?

I know they are allowed only 3 concerts a year, with still one slot still available. It was strange why it wasn't a 2nd gig.

I think they are in the process of booking the third gig. I think they want diversity and spread out these shows.

croke park only gets up to three concerts a year. Coldplay was the first; U2 tonight was the second; and, The Rolling Stones have already been booked as the third.

I would be surprised if there is a third gig i.e. The Rolling Stones at this stage. Given our weather any gig would have to be before the end of September at the latest.

Plus the remaining games for the GAA would have to be factored into things. Not leaving scope for many  available dates. Not to mention roughly only 2 months to sell and distribute 80k+ tickets.
There were news articles dating in February, saying that the Stones were on the verge of officially sealing the deal on a Croke Park gig this summer. However, that apparently fell through back in May (when this article was posted): You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Perchance the U2 camp and Croker staff thought that it was too late to add a second U2 show? Virtually all of the February articles about the Stones then impending show referenced U2, and how fans were hoping for a second show for the Irish lads.

Offline AliSPNfan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2017, 11:58:26 AM »
While I enjoyed the gig at Croke Park I wasn't overwelmed.I was very disappointed that U2 didn't perform A Sort of Homecoming--I was singing it all day because, well, they had to play it, right?  Nope  ??? This was the first ever U2 gig in over 30yrs were I didn't feel the vibe.People next to me were more interested in taking selfishes or drinking instead of watching the band and a lot left before the new song at the end.Not what I expected at all.

I have to say that U2's performance in Rome was completely different than Dublin.Maybe it was because the band didn't take to the stage until it was very dark, Italians are passionately LOUD from the get-go, Bono spoke of the fact that U2 are "familia" and U2 were just on top of their game from the start.Maybe there's just too much expectation every time U2 perform in their home town?

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2017, 12:16:56 PM »

I think a 27 year old Bono would struggle to get his head around the international following 30 years later.  For a start, Dublin was not the 'weekend break' destination it is now and was more authentically 'Dub'.  If I was a 57 year old Dubliner in one of the world's biggest bands playing a home show now - I'd play on the safe side if I thought at least 50% of the audience may not be Irish citizens.  I'd be fearful and lamentful maybe of what is and what was.

Offline Ultrafly

• Stateless
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2017, 12:27:54 PM »
I thought that performance and audience wise the show was immense.

The setlist itself was utterly normal.

The band had an 8.30 scheduled stage time, and squandered 20 minutes of that. They really should have gone all out and added ASOH before Bad, Mysterious Ways after UV, and ended with IWF adding a grand total of 14 minutes to the show. Bono could've cut down on the speeches.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2017, 02:52:21 PM »

The band had an 8.30 scheduled stage time, and squandered 20 minutes of that. They really should have gone all out and added ASOH before Bad, Mysterious Ways after UV, and ended with IWF adding a grand total of 14 minutes to the show. Bono could've cut down on the speeches.
I saw U2 twice in North America, and I thought that Bono was his typical self in terms of speechifying, but nothing overly long. After the Cleveland show, it wasn't until halfway through Europe before I tuned in on either Mixlr or Periscope again, and I found Bono to be utterly insufferable with his pontificating. I remember his "preaching" before TTYW, and Larry flat out cut him off with the drums. It was glorious.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2017, 04:52:58 PM »
^ is Larry the band member to start the click-track (male voice counting 'verse,2,3,4' etc) for all 4 of them?

Offline Marwood

• Stateless
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2017, 05:30:50 PM »

Did you not get your moneys worth with the speeches?

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2017, 03:00:37 PM »
01 - Sunday Bloody Sunday
02 - New Year's Day
03 - Bad / America (snippet)
04 - Pride (In The Name Of Love)

05 -Where The Streets Have No Name / California (There Is No End To Love) (snippet)
06 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
07 - With Or Without You
08 - Bullet The Blue Sky / Black Dog (snippet) / America (West Side Story) (snippet)
09 - Running To Stand Still
10 - Red Hill Mining Town
11 - In God's Country
12 - Trip Through Your Wires
13 - One Tree Hill
14 - Exit / Wise Blood (snippet) / Eeny Meeny Miny Moe (snippet)
15 - Mothers Of The Disappeared

16 - Miss Sarajevo
17 - Beautiful Day / Starman (snippet)
18 - Elevation
19 - Vertigo / Rebel Rebel (snippet)
20 - Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
21 - One / Hear Us Coming (snippet)
Happy Birthday
22 - The Little Things That Give You Away