Author Topic: 80's U2 IS F'N AWESOME!!!  (Read 1276 times)

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
80's U2 IS F'N AWESOME!!!
« on: May 12, 2017, 02:37:07 PM »
Getting ready for tonight's opening show, for the last week or so, I've been playing 80's U2 exclusively. I must say something most of us already know..... 80's U2 IS F'N AWESOME!!!

Like many of us here, as we get older and have a family (i'm in my early 40's) we have less time to spend listening to music. When I do listen to music, a lot of it is songs that are on my i-phone playlist or a youtube playlist. The result is hearing individual songs instead of whole albums. This week i've worked at home a few days instead of going into the office and have played the Joshua Tree a number of times and also some of the other 80's albums. It really brought me back to the effect this band had on me when I was in high school in the late 80's (first U2 album I bought was Rattle & Hum) and how this music still stands up today.

The Joshua Tree is just a brilliant friggin album. I love every song on it, and how they put together the track listing was a big part of it as well. The songs just flow into each other. The big 3 to open, then that John Bonham-like opening to Bullet the Blue Sky that arrives like a punch to the jaw, follow that with the beauty of Running to Stand Still. The 2nd half may not have had the hits, but songs like Red Hill Mining Town, One Tree Hill, Exit, and Mothers of the Disappeared stand up with their best work.

In 6 albums during the decade U2 released songs the quality of : I Will Follow, Out of Control, Gloria, Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Years Day, Drowning Man, Seconds,  40, Bad, Pride, A Sort of Homecoming, Promenade, Streets, I Still Haven't Found, With or Without You, Bullet, Running to Stand Still, Red Hill Mining Town, One Tree Hill, Desire, Hawkmoon, Heartland, All I Want is You, Angel of Harlem, etc... That is a run on par with the opening decades of the Beatles, the Stones, Zeppelin, and the Who.

It kinda bugs me now days to hear Bono talk about the 80's and that he hears a band that didn't really know how to song write. THAT'S PART OF WHAT MAKES IT GREAT!!! U2 didn't sound like anyone else. Bad is a song that sounds like nothing before it or after. With or Without You was a number 1 hit that sounded nothing like any other song from that period. U2 in the 80's was built from the Edge's "different" take on the guitar and Bono's unrelenting passion. Add in Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen, who were not great technicians on their instruments yet came up with some of the most memorable bass and drum lines of the era.

I love 90's U2 and I am happy they decided to experiment. It lead to 3 awesome albums, but what struck me (again) this week was how much I bloody love the first decade of the band. Can't wait for tonight!

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
Re: 80's U2 IS F'N AWESOME!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 02:40:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Getting ready for tonight's opening show, for the last week or so, I've been playing 80's U2 exclusively. I must say something most of us already know..... 80's U2 IS F'N AWESOME!!!

Like many of us here, as we get older and have a family (i'm in my early 40's) we have less time to spend listening to music. When I do listen to music, a lot of it is songs that are on my i-phone playlist or a youtube playlist. The result is hearing individual songs instead of whole albums. This week i've worked at home a few days instead of going into the office and have played the Joshua Tree a number of times and also some of the other 80's albums. It really brought me back to the effect this band had on me when I was in high school in the late 80's (first U2 album I bought was Rattle & Hum) and how this music still stands up today.

The Joshua Tree is just a brilliant friggin album. I love every song on it, and how the put together the track listing was a big part of it as well. The songs just flow into each other. The big 3 to open, then that John Bonham-like opening to Bullet the Blue Sky that arrives like a punch to the jaw, follow that with the beauty of Running to Stand Still. The 2nd half may not have had the hits, but songs like Red Hill Mining Town, One Tree Hill, Exit, and Mothers of the Disappeared stand up with their best work.

In 6 albums during the decade U2 released songs the quality of : I Will Follow, Out of Control, Gloria, Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Years Day, Drowning Man, Seconds,  40, Bad, Pride, A Sort of Homecoming, Promenade, Streets, I Still Haven't Found, With or Without You, Bullet, Running to Stand Still, Red Hill Mining Town, One Tree Hill, Desire, Hawkmoon, Heartland, All I Want is You, Angel of Harlem, etc... That is a run on par with the opening decades of the Beatles, the Stones, Zeppelin, and the Who.

It kinda bugs me now days to hear Bono talk about the 80's and that he hears a band that didn't really know how to song write. THAT'S PART OF WHAT MAKES IT GREAT!!! U2 didn't sound like anyone else. Bad is a song that sounds like nothing before it or after. With or Without You was a number 1 hit that sounded nothing like any other song from that period. U2 in the 80's was built from the Edge's "different" take on the guitar and Bono's unrelenting passion. Add in Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen, who were not great technicians on their instruments yet came up with some of the most memorable bass and drum lines of the era.

I love 90's U2 and I am happy they decided to experiment. It lead to 3 awesome albums, but what struck me (again) this week was how much I bloody love the first decade of the band. Can't wait for tonight!

An OP after my own heart (Achtung Baby is only because of the 80's)

Thanks for making an old non Acthung Baby die hard feel good again  8)

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 02:54:45 PM »
Good thread...I worked out to TJT cd this morning...as always, goosebumps. See ya on Youtube for the next few months!

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 04:27:57 PM »
For me, it's their best decade as a whole: many albums, many masterpieces, early years and maturity, yadda yadda yadda.

Offline dan

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 05:17:14 PM »
6 albums in a decade!!! Those were the days when they didn't over analyse everything they did, till the point that they would start again. Songs of Ascent?    My favourite decade including the 90's.

Offline NintendoFan204

• Babyface
  • Don't mind me... just some cool guy.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 05:29:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
6 albums in a decade!!! Those were the days when they didn't over analyse everything they did, till the point that they would start again. Songs of Ascent?    My favourite decade including the 90's.
Yeah... I wish they could still pump out albums that quickly and maintain a miraculously high quality. I wouldn't complain if we AT LEAST got an album every three years. Five or six years is just too long.

Offline Mark72

• Refugee
  • Modern Life Is Rubbish
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 07:52:22 AM »
UABRS and TUF were the first two albums I bought as a 12 year old kid back in the '80s. Great days in My bedroom doing the old air guitar.. Sadly didn't get to see them as I was too young. Remember subscribing  propaganda and trying to set my VCR every time a U2 video or performance appeared on the telly. But by the time Rattle and hum I lost a little  interest(though I loved the live performances in the movie)  as the British bands were catching My ear like Stone Roses Insprials and the Mondays appeared. It was pretty much bye bye U2..... Until October 1991 when "The Fly" appeared and revitalised my interest.

I'd say 80s U2 were My "Bedroom band as a young teenager. And 90's U2 were the more inspirational and more interesting to me as a band. And sort of interwoven with my love of bands like blur, Suede and Pulp.  And I finally got too see them on the Zoo TV arena tour, Zooropa and Pop mart (My last U2 gig)   

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 12:16:04 PM »
They had a lot of excellent songs, and if you look at it, between the post-punk in Boy, the harder more driven rock of War, the ambiance in some of the songs in Unforgettable Fire, their most well known and classic sound in Joshua Tree, and their southern rock and roots rock influences in Rattle and Hum, they arguably had more variance in genres during this decade than even the 1990s. And this is coming from somebody who ranks their 90s output as their favorite of any band ever.

Speaking of War however, I go on Reddit a lot, and while there is still a lot of U2 hate around, the vast majority of people, even those who may not be huge fans of the band, always label War as being an excellent album. It's a comment I've seen numerous times, and it seems like to the general audience, War may be on par with Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby to an extent.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 12:30:55 PM »
I would like to see a AB tour .