Author Topic: Old friends. Help Me with a virtual Joshua Tree project. (UPDATE)  (Read 1242 times)

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
First of all, hello everyone. It has been a while. (2015 to be exact).

I snuck back in to start a discussion and seek you help. (Moderators, if this belongs in another location, please place it where it should feel at home.)
When not listening to U2, or while listening to U2, i often enjoy exploring and creating things in the virtual world, Second Life. (Yes, it still exists.) U2 has actually has had a familiar relationship with Second Life, requesting video from "U2 In SL" events for possible use at their FIRST Glastonberry show before Bono took his spill.

During all the excitement around the new tour, I somehow managed to be awarded a grant from the Linden Endowment for the Arts for a project i submitted. Hows these grants works are, You submit your artistic idea, and a select committee awards worth submission  3-6 months use of a full "sim. Think of it as being given use of an entire server space of land. My submission was "to create a virtual space celebrating U2's album the Joshua Tree on its anniversary and show its relevance both then and now." (What can I say, it was late at night and I get these ideas and sometime no one is there to stop me. Fortunately or unfortunately, my idea was approved and I have about a month to build this thing.)

I have many ideas, but I wanted more than mine and I could not think of a better place to come than here. Yes, there are many articles about what each song supposedly means to the band, but what do these songs mean to you. What do you think of and what do you see when you hear "Exit", or "With or Without You" or "One tree Hill" ...etc.? What lyrics move you and why? How is relevant to you today?

If you are interested, I will be happy to share where my project is going. I would also be happy to hear any specific ideas you may have. I really do want to get a discussion going. I will even share some images of my project as it grows if you would like. I receive the "sim" on  6/1 and I have about a month to throw it together and then two months of being open to the public. That's about it. Looking forward to the Ky, show. So happy they chose to do a show in Sen. Mitch McConnell's home town! \0/
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 08:02:41 PM by aurabender »

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
Re: Old friends. Help Me with a virtual Joshua Tree project. (UPDATE)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 05:43:41 PM »
Wow...good luck with your project...I think it will be fascinating, and fun, all at the same time.

For my little bit...back in the day, I just thought Streets was a beautiful song, especially the long intro, and the outro. After this album came out, I went through a very dark period in my life, and survived it. Much of this time, I would play U2 songs in my head...just to get through each day. Now, Streets to me is a song of joy, a song of survival. Maybe it's about heaven...I think it will probably be playing when I go through those pearly gates!  ;D

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 06:30:08 PM »
Ill have a go at Exit, where I see the outline of a lone and troubled man in a pre-dawn dark and untidy room hunched over in a chair while loading his gun, knowing what he's gonna do is wrong, but he's gonna do it anyway. Its a very depressing black and white image I have of this song, very much set in a wild west geographical scene, where a man is having an inward struggle with his sanity and the madness winning through.

Best of luck with the whole project.

Offline aurabender

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 12:07:15 PM »
Thanks! Interesting that these two song popped up first, as they are two of the hardest I have had to try "visually" interpret, and both for opposite reasons.
Streets is just this MASSIVE song with oh so many visual images that pop in your head. Its the one song that everyone seems to have the most varied interpretations of, and also think it is one of the songs that is even more relevant as time goes on. One thought i had about this song that would never have applied to it when written is the internet itself and the digital age and how the more connected we are, the less free we can feel sometimes. A large part of this display will be vast desert land, which obviously ties to the song, but i am thinking of some other interpretations for it as well

Exit is a song that, I must confess, I am really just discovering. I have read several articles that state Bono was writing about a serial killer after reading In Cold Blood.  I think you paint the song exactly right Blue, and it is chilling. My reference or interpretations to this song is going to pretty vague and simple. On of the centerpieces of the display will be an old deserted American coal mining town called Red Hill. At the entrance will be the typical signs that says "Red Hill, pop. 1700" but that will be scratched over with the words "EXIT, pop 0".

Offline aurabender

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 02:56:06 PM »
Hi everyone. I just wanted to drop by and follow up on this little project. Things are going quite well and we are almost done. I say "we" because I managed to drag several artist and designers into this mess with me =).
Our project mainly consist of, no surprise, a vast American desert. Along the way you will find some billboards touting images of Trump and Reagan with lyrics attached. If you keep travelling down the highway, you will arrive at  an old mining town called "Red Hill. If you go into the town and explore, you will find a "rehabilitation center" that has the lyrics to "Running To Stand Still" along with information on heroin abuse and recovery. At the end of town is a small church which obviously represents "ISHNFWILF". I was really happy with this and we went out of way to make it non-denominational.

There is also a  war zone where we have pictures of missing Syrian children along a barbed wire fence and an artist is creating some beautiful statues of women hold candles. We sort of used this area to merge Bullet The Blue Sky" and "Mothers of the Disappeared" and included a connection to the Warchild website.

A couple of things we are still considering are both a house that will portray "Exit" inside, as well a large hill with, you guessed it, one large tree. This will be sort of a memorial where people can enter the names of someone they have lost or simply miss. We are also looking at a gallery where artist will display photographs inspired by lyrics from the album, as well asa stage for musical performance that will resemble the original joshua tree staging.

Here area few photos:
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thank you for all the great suggestions and ideas. Our grant still has three months to go, so please feel free to keep suggesting.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 03:09:59 PM by aurabender »

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 05:44:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hi everyone. I just wanted to drop by and follow up on this little project. Things are going quite well and we are almost done. I say "we" because I managed to drag several artist and designers into this mess with me =).
Our project mainly consist of, no surprise, a vast American desert. Along the way you will find some billboards touting images of Trump and Reagan with lyrics attached. If you keep travelling down the highway, you will arrive at  an old mining town called "Red Hill. If you go into the town and explore, you will find a "rehabilitation center" that has the lyrics to "Running To Stand Still" along with information on heroin abuse and recovery. At the end of town is a small church which obviously represents "ISHNFWILF". I was really happy with this and we went out of way to make it non-denominational.

There is also a  war zone where we have pictures of missing Syrian children along a barbed wire fence and an artist is creating some beautiful statues of women hold candles. We sort of used this area to merge Bullet The Blue Sky" and "Mothers of the Disappeared" and included a connection to the Warchild website.

A couple of things we are still considering are both a house that will portray "Exit" inside, as well a large hill with, you guessed it, one large tree. This will be sort of a memorial where people can enter the names of someone they have lost or simply miss. We are also looking at a gallery where artist will display photographs inspired by lyrics from the album, as well asa stage for musical performance that will resemble the original joshua tree staging.

Here area few photos:

Thank you for all the great suggestions and ideas. Our grant still has three months to go, so please feel free to keep suggesting.
The pictures aren't showing up for me...

Offline aurabender

• Numb
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 08:23:01 PM »
weird, i even see them in your quote.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 12:40:15 AM »
weird, i even see them in your quote.
It's probably just my iPad then.  :-\

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 01:52:31 AM »
Don't see it neither. Google Chrome on Android.

Offline aurabender

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 07:52:13 PM »
Hey! Forgive me for blowing this dust of this very, very  dead thread, but I have been peeking in during pandemication and I found this and wanted to up date you guys on what happened. The project worked out GREAT.  We received quite a large number of visitors and even some media attention. Three years later and I still have people tell me... "wow, remember that U2 project you all did, that was great. I am going to share (try) a video that made and some press we received.   I dont want to prattle on, but if you would like to know how we interpreted the songs, i would maybe post some more. If you watch the video, please keep in mind this this was 3D space where you (as your avitar) could walk around freely interact with things. Hope you all are staying safe ♥.

Video:

Press:

« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 08:00:57 PM by aurabender »