Author Topic: TJT Heads to SA- what does this mean for SOE?  (Read 11128 times)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Re: TJT Heads to SA- what does this mean for SOE?
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2017, 12:18:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Or maybe TJT 2017 is a ploy by the band and management to remind people just how stratospheric the band were in the 80's and that the new album really is good.  No, it's going to be great.  They are using this as a way to remind people that they are still up there....

The ONLY thing that would make sense out of this whole mess is if U2 used this hugely successful tour as a promotional vehicle for SOE. As has been pointed out already, sales for SOE will be low (simply because all album sales are low, especially rock music sales). The JT17 tour can get the word out and capitalize on people's excitement. But if they end the tour and go off thr grid for six months then they're beyond stupid.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2017, 02:59:45 PM »
Or maybe TJT 2017 is a ploy by the band and management to remind people just how stratospheric the band were in the 80's and that the new album really is good.  No, it's going to be great.  They are using this as a way to remind people that they are still up there....

The ONLY thing that would make sense out of this whole mess is if U2 used this hugely successful tour as a promotional vehicle for SOE. As has been pointed out already, sales for SOE will be low (simply because all album sales are low, especially rock music sales). The JT17 tour can get the word out and capitalize on people's excitement. But if they end the tour and go off thr grid for six months then they're beyond stupid.

It would be the same mistake they made with releasing Invisible and then delaying the album, but on a much larger scale.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2017, 04:55:03 PM »
I do think all the signs are there that this album isn't quite done yet. At least not in the state they would like it to be.

The Irish times quote suggesting 2018 release likely. Extra JT dates and who knows maybe more to come. Plus 'the little things' was chosen to debut to plug soe... was that really their best offering to showcase? 

Expectations are slowly being set for a further delay in my opinion.

I really hope that some day we get a good insiders' view of what happens in these situations. How many times have we been told an album was done or almost done when it wasn't? Or told it was almost ready, and then it gets completely scrapped? I'd love to hear what it is that we are missing. The "You talkin' U2 to me" podcast guys seemed super hyped-up about the stuff that they heard, but by the time we get this album, that material will be what, 3-5 years old, and who knows if it will even be around?

There have to be some pretty major rows over this happening again and again and again.  Maybe some day when they are done we'll even get to hear all of the stuff they didn't release, and spend the rest of our lives screaming "WHY DID THEY SCRAP THIS??!!!".  Or maybe that material is just really, really bad.

It would be interesting, but not sure that it will ever come out. I would put my money on it being writers block, inability to write to the standard previously set by themselves.
And they're unlikely to own up to that.

But on the flip side they have shown promise through various clips, like the fender one.
They probably have hundreds of amazing doodles or ideas, but nothing has successfully been stitched together to form another classic, arguably not since beautiful day.

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2017, 05:14:53 PM »
Here are rumoured South America dates. Not sure where they got this so just a rumour...

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2017, 04:25:25 AM »
U2 are one of a few bands that could have 4/5 year album gaps & remain popular. They had earnt the right to do this due their output & touring between 1980 - 1993 which built up a big & loyal fan base.

Other less established bands have had long gaps between albums. 'The Stone Roses', 5 years, 'Guns & Roses', 4 years. Both went into meltdown soon afterwards.

'Tears for Fears' were a big mid 80's band in America & England. But not big enough to have a 4 year album gap. Again they didn't remain as popular when resurfacing. 

Radiohead recently had a 5 year album gap. Due to 15 years of productivity & some acclaimed albums, their fans came out to support it.

Muse & Coldplay average albums every 3 years.

The Rolling Stones release an album whenever they are about to tour. The tours are huge due to their legendary status & 50+ year old back catalogue.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 04:29:20 AM by zoo adam »

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2017, 05:03:34 AM »

Well they are playing Little things that give you away but so far I don't get the impression the audience is going crazy about it. Likewise the planned Jimmy Kimmel appearance will support JT30, not SOE.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2017, 08:21:31 AM »
Relax, y'all. They could easily still release SOE on Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving in the US) and things go as planned. Or, they could release early 2018 and tour in the spring. There's nothing about this additional month of shows that should cause panic.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2017, 10:15:07 AM »
I do think all the signs are there that this album isn't quite done yet. At least not in the state they would like it to be.

The Irish times quote suggesting 2018 release likely. Extra JT dates and who knows maybe more to come. Plus 'the little things' was chosen to debut to plug soe... was that really their best offering to showcase? 

Expectations are slowly being set for a further delay in my opinion.

I really hope that some day we get a good insiders' view of what happens in these situations. How many times have we been told an album was done or almost done when it wasn't? Or told it was almost ready, and then it gets completely scrapped? I'd love to hear what it is that we are missing. The "You talkin' U2 to me" podcast guys seemed super hyped-up about the stuff that they heard, but by the time we get this album, that material will be what, 3-5 years old, and who knows if it will even be around?

There have to be some pretty major rows over this happening again and again and again.  Maybe some day when they are done we'll even get to hear all of the stuff they didn't release, and spend the rest of our lives screaming "WHY DID THEY SCRAP THIS??!!!".  Or maybe that material is just really, really bad.

It would be interesting, but not sure that it will ever come out. I would put my money on it being writers block, inability to write to the standard previously set by themselves.
And they're unlikely to own up to that.

But on the flip side they have shown promise through various clips, like the fender one.
They probably have hundreds of amazing doodles or ideas, but nothing has successfully been stitched together to form another classic, arguably not since beautiful day.

I can buy that it's writer's block for sure, but why do they say an album is done when it isnt, over and over and over? Just say you're working on it until you really are done.

monopoly

« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2017, 12:10:53 PM »
Apparently the tour will come to New Zealand in 2018 now.

monopoly

« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2017, 12:11:56 PM »

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2017, 12:18:07 PM »
If SOE is released a couple of months after TJT tour stops, U2 will be doing a lot of virtual non stop touring.

TJT tour is being extended & SOE will be promoted by a year long tour.

Fans are already being given a JT & greatest hits tour. So won't be desparate to hear these songs again.

SOE will have to be good to get the fans to fork out again to sell out another long tour.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 12:20:15 PM by zoo adam »

Offline opening night

• Stateless
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2017, 01:14:17 PM »
EMBARRASSING

This band prefers the easy big bucks from touring TJT30 well into 2018 instead of finishing new music and releasing an album that was promised for so long. Embarrassing.

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2017, 01:39:09 PM »

Gotta be honest, and just for me, if an SOE tour for North America does not happen until late 2018 or even 2019, I'm all for it because my spouse said if we go to TJT30 show (which we are) we won't be going to another U2 show right away.  I can justify a 2 year break, but not 1 year or less.  Even though we have been to every tour since TJT, we are not big on multiple shows on the same tour or shows close together.  I was lucky enough to convince her to go to another 360 show since they were 2+ years apart and the set-list had changed dramatically.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 01:49:15 PM by acrobat62 »

monopoly

« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2017, 01:47:49 PM »
EMBARRASSING

This band prefers the easy big bucks from touring TJT30 well into 2018 instead of finishing new music and releasing an album that was promised for so long. Embarrassing.

I still think we have a chance of an album this year. But my excitement for IE tour has died down. It feels so old now, especially after seeing TJT. It will be weird seeing them return to the previous tour.

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2017, 02:24:21 PM »
EMBARRASSING

I still think we have a chance of an album this year. But my excitement for IE tour has died down. It feels so old now, especially after seeing TJT. It will be weird seeing them return to the previous tour.

How can they release an album if TJT tour is ongoing & being extended ?

It has to be one or the other.