Author Topic: *Spoilers* Snippet Fail!  (Read 2675 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: *Spoilers* Snippet Fail!
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 11:41:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
ah come on....knock when it is fair when u2 are being vapid and obvious...but Exit is song of psychotic darkness and desperation and the eenie meeney add on is quite clearly portraying a disturbed mind making it's choice as to what happens next/who it happens to.

The use of the child like rhyme adds to the 'deranged' feel....

Plenty of examples of this in songs...PJ Harveys 'Little fish big fish swimming in the water' in 'Down by the water' is one example.
I was hoping you would be able to put it more eloquently than I could...

sorry for letting you down!

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 01:58:21 PM »
ah come on....knock when it is fair when u2 are being vapid and obvious...but Exit is song of psychotic darkness and desperation and the eenie meeney add on is quite clearly portraying a disturbed mind making it's choice as to what happens next/who it happens to.

Plenty of examples of this in songs...PJ Harveys 'Little fish big fish swimming in the water' in 'Down by the water' is one example.

Oh, no, I didn't mean to say it like that! I did phrase that a bit oddly... I meant that you did state your point better than I could've, sorry to confuse!

Offline Beneathadesertsky

• Wanderer
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 08:00:30 PM »
He needs to stop with that nonsense.
I liked hearing it in album order.

GLORIA....G.L.O.R.I.A GLORIA G.L.O.R.I.A

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 01:09:38 AM »

Oh, no, I didn't mean to say it like that! I did phrase that a bit oddly... I meant that you did state your point better than I could've, sorry to confuse!

Ha...i was joking, pal.....self deprecation!  :)

Offline JohnMegadeth

• Babyface
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 10:41:18 AM »
I'll just leave this here.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 05:16:07 PM »

Ha...i was joking, pal.....self deprecation!  :)
Well, that was a big whoosh, then...  :)

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2017, 06:58:55 AM »

Interesting history. Particularly one controversy where African-Americans sued American Airlines when a clean version was used on the plane encouraging people to take their seats. They lost the case but I will say the first time I heard it I thought of the racist version I heard when I was a child.  Not sure if this was prevalent in Ireland and if Europeans know this version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pouakai

• Stateless
  • I went walking, down that old eight-lane
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2017, 05:01:41 PM »
On a similar note, I'm a bit disappointed with the snippets overall this tour. Bad has just the one about America (about five less than usual), WOWY doesn't have Shine Like Stars, BTBS has no rant in it, MOTD has already dropped El Pueblo Vencera. (on this note I'd say it was pretty average, but that's because they didn't commit to it and it became a weird 'are we doing this or the woahs?') There's also the "Do you hear us coming, Lord?" or the various other codas for One, and they could definitely be a bit more imaginative elsewhere. As far as Exit goes, I don't particularly mind eenie-meenie-minie-moe, but Gloria or Riders on the Storm would be fantastic for it.

Offline JohnMegadeth

• Babyface
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 10:53:10 AM »
From the recent Rolling Stone interview with Bono:

How did it feel to play "Exit" again?
I had a lot of self-harm over the years playing that song. I was very glad not to play it for many years. I broke my shoulder. I got into some very dark places on the stage. I'd rather not step back into that song, but I found a way by thinking of where it came from and going back to the books I was reading at the time. I realized the real influence was probably Flannery O'Connor, so I developed this character called the Shadow Man and I'm managing to step into the shoes of the Shadow Man without any self-harm. It's quite a character. I'm actually using some lines from [the O'Connor book] Wise Blood. I also do "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe," which we grew up with in Europe, a totally racist thing. The bit from Wise Blood is, "Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going is never there. Where you are is no good unless you can get away from it." It's Southern Gothic, which is what I guess you'd call it.

Offline Beneathadesertsky

• Wanderer
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 02:24:42 PM »
From the recent Rolling Stone interview with Bono:

How did it feel to play "Exit" again?
I had a lot of self-harm over the years playing that song. I was very glad not to play it for many years. I broke my shoulder. I got into some very dark places on the stage. I'd rather not step back into that song, but I found a way by thinking of where it came from and going back to the books I was reading at the time. I realized the real influence was probably Flannery O'Connor, so I developed this character called the Shadow Man and I'm managing to step into the shoes of the Shadow Man without any self-harm. It's quite a character. I'm actually using some lines from [the O'Connor book] Wise Blood. I also do "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe," which we grew up with in Europe, a totally racist thing. The bit from Wise Blood is, "Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going is never there. Where you are is no good unless you can get away from it." It's Southern Gothic, which is what I guess you'd call it.

He went into dark places with that song? They need to go there more often because its one of the most kick ass songs in their catalog and it kills live!

Offline Pouakai

• Stateless
  • I went walking, down that old eight-lane
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 10:13:40 PM »
I remember something to that effect with the original tour too, apparently it was difficult for him to snap out of it sometimes