Author Topic: *spoiler* Tribute to Women during Ultraviolet  (Read 10739 times)

Offline rlj1010

• Wanderer
Re: *spoiler* Tribute to Women during Ultraviolet
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2017, 07:11:33 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm starting to think U2 thought Ghostbusters 2016 was a good movie.

It doesn't matter if its good or not. We all have to pretend its good.

There's opinions and there's facts.  The FACT is Ghostbusters 2016 was awful.  But its awfulness had nothing to do with gender.  It was just a bad movie.

Offline lightmyway92

• Wanderer
  • On Borderland We Run
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2017, 07:17:08 AM »
I love Ultraviolet.   And I love spotlighting intelligent, influential women.

I just dont love these things TOGETHER.  It just doesn't work paired with Ultraviolet. 
In my opinion, of course.

Ultraviolet is a personal song.  Not an "issue" song.
Absolutely.  This needs to be read, and then read again as many times as is necessary to understand it.  "Ultraviolet" is too great a song to have something else attached to it in a live performance, even a worthy issue like this.

Offline CherryYouDanceWithMe

• Elevated
  • Larry "Boom Boom" Mullen
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2017, 07:35:00 AM »
So why do you think they chose to present the song this way? For some reason, I felt like Bono was trying to jam every one of his causes into one concert. I don't think the "herstory" theme fit with any of the rest of the concert, but for some reason he wanted to make this feminist statement.

I think he chose to do it during Ultraviolet simply because of the line "baby, baby, baby, light my way."

I think the best performance of the song will always be 360 with Bono swinging on the microphone.  8) It will always live in my heart this way.

Offline rlj1010

• Wanderer
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2017, 07:36:39 AM »
Next tour will feature Zoo Station with visuals about the rising sea levels.

Also look forward to Sweetest Thing with its powerful anti-ISIS message.

Offline lightmyway92

• Wanderer
  • On Borderland We Run
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2017, 07:57:22 AM »
So why do you think they chose to present the song this way? For some reason, I felt like Bono was trying to jam every one of his causes into one concert. I don't think the "herstory" theme fit with any of the rest of the concert, but for some reason he wanted to make this feminist statement.

I think he chose to do it during Ultraviolet simply because of the line "baby, baby, baby, light my way."

I think the best performance of the song will always be 360 with Bono swinging on the microphone.  8) It will always live in my heart this way.
My guess is that they mean that these women are (or were) "lighting the way" for women's rights.  Again, though, it's not what the song was originally about.  The lyrics are fairly vague, but I'm pretty sure the cause of women's equality (though worthy) has nothing to do with their meaning.  But, it's their song, not mine, right?  At least they're playing it.  It's obviously an amazing song!

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2017, 08:27:47 AM »
Lol so much mansplaining going on in here.  Thank God all I needed was a man to tell me why it's just not hard to be a woman at all.

I suppose you are just not into hearing other perspectives.
and I suppose some here are actually pi**ed that U2 would choose to honor women.  Unbelievable really

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2017, 08:30:10 AM »
Lol so much mansplaining going on in here.  Thank God all I needed was a man to tell me why it's just not hard to be a woman at all.

and I suppose some here are actually pi**ed that U2 would choose to honor women.  Unbelievable really
Well, we are "just women" in some men's eyes...sad. I think I'll just ignore them...

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2017, 08:32:06 AM »

Well, we are "just women" in some men's eyes...sad. I think I'll just ignore them...
U2 has our back all that matters!

Offline CherryYouDanceWithMe

• Elevated
  • Larry "Boom Boom" Mullen
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2017, 08:59:42 AM »
Next tour will feature Zoo Station with visuals about the rising sea levels.

Also look forward to Sweetest Thing with its powerful anti-ISIS message.

You know we got a stormy kind of love....  :D

Offline rlj1010

• Wanderer
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2017, 09:02:10 AM »

U2 has our back all that matters!

You ladies have a new Wonder Woman movie... isn't that ENOUGH?!!

(I kid... I kid...)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2017, 09:02:36 AM »

Actually, women's exposure in media, news, Education and politics and sport is equal. The 'glass ceiling' mentality is just a crass political move to get more social standing. Portraying yourselves as victims and trading upon men's good will to women is what its all about.   

Offline rlj1010

• Wanderer
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2017, 09:08:01 AM »

Actually, women's exposure in media, news, Education and politics and sport is equal. The 'glass ceiling' mentality is just a crass political move to get more social standing. Portraying yourselves as victims and trading upon men's good will to women is what its all about.   

Come on... that is totally untrue.  Women don't get the same breaks that men do.  Things have gotten better, yes, but there's still plenty of room for improvement.

And I'm male.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2017, 09:08:55 AM »

Right thanks for setting us straight, what would we do without your wisdom

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2017, 02:06:17 PM »

Come on... that is totally untrue.  Women don't get the same breaks that men do.  Things have gotten better, yes, but there's still plenty of room for improvement.

And I'm male.

I'm male too, and I agree that there's room for improvement.  I think at a global level the  facts support the One Campaign message that "poverty is sexist": You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Even in the USA there is a gender pay gap which is even greater for ethnic minority women: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 

I am personally glad U2 are feeling motivated to celebrate women through Ultraviolet, rather than just going through the motions and performing it with the same video backing they used 25 years ago.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2017, 04:53:56 PM »

+1