Author Topic: *spoiler* Tribute to Women during Ultraviolet  (Read 10557 times)

WookieeWarrior10

Re: *spoiler* Tribute to Women during Ultraviolet
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2017, 04:58:55 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Lol so much mansplaining going on in here.  Thank God all I needed was a man to tell me why it's just not hard to be a woman at all.

I suppose you are just not into hearing other perspectives.
and I suppose some here are actually pi**ed that U2 would choose to honor women.  Unbelievable really
It's the bizarre and unfitting pairing of this song and message that people are upset about.

It baffles me as to how the discussion even shifted to this in the first place...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 07:04:20 PM by WookieeWarrior10 »

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2017, 05:05:52 PM »
Believe or not, but the white men of America don't have a natural anti-women bias

So all other American men have a "natural anti-women bias" ?  And white men of other countries? Where do they stand?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 05:08:18 PM by Kmama07 »

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2017, 05:09:53 PM »
Believe or not, but the white men of America don't have a natural anti-women bias

So all other American men have a "natural anti-women bias" ?  And white men of other countries? Where do they stand?
It was a needless detail... believe me, I wouldn't try to start a race war on this forum, of all places.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2017, 05:29:32 PM »

Actually, women's exposure in media, news, Education and politics and sport is equal. The 'glass ceiling' mentality is just a crass political move to get more social standing. Portraying yourselves as victims and trading upon men's good will to women is what its all about.   

Come on... that is totally untrue.  Women don't get the same breaks that men do.  Things have gotten better, yes, but there's still plenty of room for improvement.

And I'm male.

I'm male too, and I agree that there's room for improvement.  I think at a global level the  facts support the One Campaign message that "poverty is sexist": You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Even in the USA there is a gender pay gap which is even greater for ethnic minority women: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 

I am personally glad U2 are feeling motivated to celebrate women through Ultraviolet, rather than just going through the motions and performing it with the same video backing they used 25 years ago.
Actually, by and large, the gender pay gap is a farce, as I explained in full detail further of this thread. Also, poverty is not sexist; it effects both men and women, and, if I am not mistaken, there is a far higher homeless population amongst men than women.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2017, 06:25:21 PM »

Actually, women's exposure in media, news, Education and politics and sport is equal. The 'glass ceiling' mentality is just a crass political move to get more social standing. Portraying yourselves as victims and trading upon men's good will to women is what its all about.   

Come on... that is totally untrue.  Women don't get the same breaks that men do.  Things have gotten better, yes, but there's still plenty of room for improvement.

And I'm male.

I'm male too, and I agree that there's room for improvement.  I think at a global level the  facts support the One Campaign message that "poverty is sexist": You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Even in the USA there is a gender pay gap which is even greater for ethnic minority women: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 

I am personally glad U2 are feeling motivated to celebrate women through Ultraviolet, rather than just going through the motions and performing it with the same video backing they used 25 years ago.
Actually, by and large, the gender pay gap is a farce, as I explained in full detail further of this thread. Also, poverty is not sexist; it effects both men and women, and, if I am not mistaken, there is a far higher homeless population amongst men than women.

Silly, homeless men don't count, they're not people. 

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2017, 06:51:21 PM »

It was a needless detail... believe me, I wouldn't try to start a race war on this forum, of all places.

If it was a needless detail I'd advise you to remove the word "white" from your post, otherwise it appears that you are the one bringing race into this, by inferring that it's only white American men who "don't have a natural anti-women bias". 

As for the argument that the gender pay gap is a farce I suggest people read the research, summarised in the 1,000 word article I linked to (it uses different sources and acknowledges the complexity of the issue), before making any conclusions.

I am surprised that so many people here are annoyed that U2 have chosen this particular song to make a tribute to women.  They're free artists and entitled to interpret and present their material in any way they see fit; we are not more "right" about the meaning of Ultraviolet than the artists who wrote the song.  Songs can, and do, have multiple meanings and we should be comfortable with that.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2017, 07:04:01 PM »
If it was a needless detail I'd advise you to remove the word "white" from your post, otherwise it appears that you are the one bringing race into this, by inferring that it's only white American men who "don't have a natural anti-women bias".

You're right, I'll remove it now... I'm just starting to see shades of the election and its putting me into that frame of mind...

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2017, 07:20:23 PM »
I love how if you show love towards women it really means your putting down men.  Because how could something just be about celbrating smart women.  And since there are homeless men and women who make more than men it means there is zero issue.

And I mean how dare a rock band make the statement they want to with their own music.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2017, 08:10:42 PM »
The reason I find the UV segment not the highlight of the show is that feminists voices are done in my mind. We have been listening to women's voices for 50 years through all communication outlets. And as for U2 maybe they should ditch the screen and put up a mirror. That way the women in the audience can look at the themselves and U2 can run to the bank after the show. 

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2017, 08:12:02 PM »
They need to remove Lena Dunham from the list. Also, I hate cheesy slogans like "herstory". It's about as dumb, to me, as feminists trying to add "womyn" to the modern parlance 50 years ago.

Here is some Lena YT commentary:

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2017, 08:36:24 PM »
The reason I find the UV segment not the highlight of the show is that feminists voices are done in my mind. We have been listening to women's voices for 50 years through all communication outlets. And as for U2 maybe they should ditch the screen and put up a mirror. That way the women in the audience can look at the themselves and U2 can run to the bank after the show.
so how long do you imagine we have been listening to men's voices? Doesn't seem to be stoping anytime soon. 
Yeah just because U2 make money means they can't make a meaningful statement using you know their own music.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2017, 08:48:47 PM »
so how long do you imagine we have been listening to men's voices? Doesn't seem to be stoping anytime soon. 
Yeah just because U2 make money means they can't make a meaningful statement using you know their own music.

Its a question about pandering to their audience. Anyone can sell a child a bag of magic beans. Whether it is ethical or not is another story.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2017, 08:59:36 PM »
Btw, the op mentioned the glaring oversight/omission of aung si kyu ki from Burma, the famous woman who was under house arrest for so many years, and for whom u2 wrote'walk on'. I read recently that she hasn't been much better as leader after her release than the previous administration, and her human rights record has now also been called into question.

Maybe her omission wasn't an oversight after all.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2017, 09:10:30 PM »
    Maybe there's no "taking sides" aspect to this song at all.  Bono just wanted to celebrate women, and as the artist who created the song he can do so however he may chose. No need to start a gender war over Bono celebrating something positive with his song.
    There's a lot of work that needs to be done before women are equal, not judged primarily by their looks, etc.  That being said, it is true that middle aged men and adolescent males in particular are suffering some real difficulties.  There is a huge increase in "deaths of despair" (suicides, drug overdoses, alcohol-related deaths) among white, middle-aged men.
   Let's cut each other a break and replace cynicism with understanding and an open mind.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2017, 09:14:44 PM »
    Maybe there's no "taking sides" aspect to this song at all.  Bono just wanted to celebrate women, and as the artist who created the song he can do so however he may chose. No need to start a gender war over Bono celebrating something positive with his song.
    There's a lot of work that needs to be done before women are equal, not judged primarily by their looks, etc.  That being said, it is true that middle aged men and adolescent males in particular are suffering some real difficulties.  There is a huge increase in "deaths of despair" (suicides, drug overdoses, alcohol-related deaths) among white, middle-aged men.
   Let's cut each other a break and replace cynicism with understanding and an open mind.

Agreed.