Author Topic: *spoiler* Tribute to Women during Ultraviolet  (Read 10668 times)

Offline CherryYouDanceWithMe

• Elevated
  • Larry "Boom Boom" Mullen
*spoiler* Tribute to Women during Ultraviolet
« on: May 25, 2017, 07:33:56 PM »
There were too many to catch all of the names, but who did you see? Who were you proud to see, who did you think was missing?

I never saw Aung San Suu Kyi... that would be a glaring oversight... did someone else see her? Another great addition would have been Teresa of Calcutta considering Bono's advocation for poverty.

I was proud to see Malala as well as our fabulous Texas ladies at the end (even though it felt a bit like they Googled Texas women and cut and pasted it at the end).

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
Re: *spoiler* Tribute to Women during Ultraviolet
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 09:08:55 PM »
That's just one of the problems with this version of Ultra Violet. When you're at the show your paying more attention to who's on the screen then the actual song. The images are supposed to support the music, not dominate it.

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 12:48:59 AM »
I hated this part of the show

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 07:06:54 AM »
Who were the famous Texan women? Ann Richards?

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 07:22:33 AM »
We need more men that cherish women.  I used to think thank God the world is so different and women have a place in it now, but I began to realize it's still an uphill battle even today in 2017! Glad U2 has this in there show, as a teen their music was empowering. 

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 08:26:15 AM »
They need to remove Lena Dunham from the list. Also, I hate cheesy slogans like "herstory". It's about as dumb, to me, as feminists trying to add "womyn" to the modern parlance 50 years ago.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 10:36:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
We need more men that cherish women.  I used to think thank God the world is so different and women have a place in it now, but I began to realize it's still an uphill battle even today in 2017! Glad U2 has this in there show, as a teen their music was empowering.

Well said.  Glad both you and CherryYouDanceWithMe liked this part of the show - I think it looks great on youtube and look forward to seeing this part of the show in London.  Ultraviolet is a favourite song and the video looks pretty inspiring to me.

Offline weinerdog

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 11:23:17 AM »
They are changing who is on the screen a bit too. For Seattle, Melinda Gates was in there, which made sense because she was of course in the audience. Got a nice roar from the crowd.

Offline AchtungPop

• Staring at the Sun
  • Walk On
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 02:10:38 PM »
I love the tribute to women! But I do think having individuals that are too recent can make it feel like "While where was so and so...?" Like why is Lena Dunham there, but not say... Amy Schumer or Jennifer Aniston or the late Joan Rivers or whoever. Unless it rotates on a nightly basis. Maybe someone in their circle met Dunham though and struck up a friendship.

It'd be cool if they grouped them together more based on what they're known for... like Michelle Obama at the same time as Laura Bush & Condi Rice.

Although I personally like seeing the women who are lesser known and don't get as much credit, the women from the past and the groups. At least they do include lesser known ones though.

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 02:23:06 PM »
I may flip the bird to a few of them...

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 03:59:10 PM »
I've watched live performances of this. Seems fine as a concept, but I think it potentially can overwhelm the actual song. Also, keep it names of women that were important to history in some way, like Rosa Parks, Susan B. Anthony, Aung San Suu Kyi, Marie Curie, etc.

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 11:10:51 PM »
I still can not get over Lena Dunham... LENA DUNHAM being a part of a U2 show. So disgusted.

Offline CherryYouDanceWithMe

• Elevated
  • Larry "Boom Boom" Mullen
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 06:51:35 AM »
I still can not get over Lena Dunham... LENA DUNHAM being a part of a U2 show. So disgusted.
Agreed.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 07:53:43 AM »

That 'struggle' argument is just a way to get up on top of social ladders. Men die more in workplaces, commit more suicide amongst other glaring facts. Most feminists are selective about their social observations. 

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 07:55:36 AM »
I will admit though, parlaying victim status into social opportunity is a brilliant move. Most men suffer in silence instead of constantly yapping.