Author Topic: *spoiler* Tribute to Women during Ultraviolet  (Read 10555 times)

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
Re: *spoiler* Tribute to Women during Ultraviolet
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2017, 11:23:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Did I miss Princess Diana on the screen or was that another oversight?  I was at the Cleveland show Saturday night.

I can't find any footage of Ultraviolet in Cleveland to check, but it would not surprise me if you were right because apparently July 1 is her Birthday.  We had news coverage over here about William & Harry being at her grave.  She would have been 56 - a very similar age to U2.

We are ramping up to the 20 years anniversary since her death over here, which will be 31 August. There is some national commemoration planned, I think.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 11:26:34 AM by 73October »

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2017, 02:48:27 PM »
Now that women continue to be publicly attacked for their faces and their "bleeding", I appreciate U2's shout out to women more than ever.  Misogyny has never been so prevalent and blatant that I can remember, so their message is appreciated by many.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2017, 03:27:04 PM »
Now that women continue to be publicly attacked for their faces and their "bleeding", I appreciate U2's shout out to women more than ever.  Misogyny has never been so prevalent and blatant that I can remember, so their message is appreciated by many.

Actually Western Women have never had it so good in history....ever. The bleeding reference was gender bait that Megan Kelly threw out. Sadly Trump took the bait and misogyny has been re-affirmed. How much does she make? Are we ready to look at toxic misandry?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 05:44:40 PM by miryclay »

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2017, 03:49:17 PM »

I'm with you in appreciating u2's shout out to women.  From what I've been reading on this thread, female u2 fans have generally viewed the Ultraviolet video positively, but some fans - all male -  are annoyed about it and have decided to tell u2 that they don't know what their song is actually about, that they've chosen the "wrong" women to put on the screen , and to lecture Western women in general that they don't know how good they've got it. 

• Child of Grace
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2017, 06:25:39 PM »
Thank you for your gracious comments, Il Capo. God bless you.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2017, 01:17:43 AM »
Of course, I'm all for gender equality and I think that it's great U2 are supportive of it as well...but you actually believe that "misogyny has never been so prevalent and blatant"?

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2017, 03:47:26 AM »

I'm with you in appreciating u2's shout out to women.  From what I've been reading on this thread, female u2 fans have generally viewed the Ultraviolet video positively, but some fans - all male -  are annoyed about it and have decided to tell u2 that they don't know what their song is actually about, that they've chosen the "wrong" women to put on the screen , and to lecture Western women in general that they don't know how good they've got it.
I think it's great that U2 are doing this with UV. And bye the way, i do not want to be pointing fingers, but western women are still not getting equally payed. I was in work council for years, this was an issue. Poverty and human rights are sometimes hard for men as well.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2017, 05:09:17 AM »
Of course, I'm all for gender equality and I think that it's great U2 are supportive of it as well...but you actually believe that "misogyny has never been so prevalent and blatant"?

Most feminists of today, 3rd wave, have nothing to fight for but just keep being activists because it's more dramatic than working like everyone else.

• Child of Grace
« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2017, 08:10:15 AM »
I am not taking the bait but I do appreciate men who cherish and support women, like Bono, Il Capo, my husband, and many others.  I cherish men's rights as well.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2017, 09:35:31 AM »

I just don't understand why they are publically supporting a pedo such as Lena Dunham.

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2017, 09:38:20 AM »
I am not taking the bait but I do appreciate men who cherish and support women, like Bono, Il Capo, my husband, and many others.  I cherish men's rights as well.

I'm a man and I thought it was a great tribute. It wasn't to honor women that everyone agree with, it was to honor women who "stood up for their rights" as Bono says introducing it. I think these women fit that description. Made me appreciate the band even more than I had previously.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2017, 09:44:03 AM »

I'm a man and I thought it was a great tribute. It wasn't to honor women that everyone agree with, it was to honor women who "stood up for their rights" as Bono says introducing it. I think these women fit that description. Made me appreciate the band even more than I had previously.
verry nice, thanx

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2017, 10:32:19 AM »

Most feminists of today, 3rd wave, have nothing to fight for but just keep being activists because it's more dramatic than working like everyone else.
Exactly. This new wave of feminism has absolutely no relevance in our America today. They'll keep inventing new terms that give themselves a pass to promote inequality (like "manspreading" or "mansplaining"). It certainly doesn't help that these borderline-radicals have a refuge on the internet through blatantly ignorant liberalist-sites like Buzzfeed.

Again, before I'm attacked for having different views, I definitely consider myself to be a feminist. I do not think that there is much progression that needs to be done here in the U.S., however, so I don't associate myself with this new feminist wave. There is plenty more work to be done in other places around the world... the Middle-East as a whole, for example.

But to claim that "misogyny has never been so prevalent and blatant" is ridiculous.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2017, 11:05:13 AM »

Exactly. This new wave of feminism has absolutely no relevance in our America today. They'll keep inventing new terms that give themselves a pass to promote inequality (like "manspreading" or "mansplaining"). It certainly doesn't help that these borderline-radicals have a refuge on the internet through blatantly ignorant liberalist-sites like Buzzfeed.

Again, before I'm attacked for having different views, I definitely consider myself to be a feminist. I do not think that there is much progression that needs to be done here in the U.S., however, so I don't associate myself with this new feminist wave. There is plenty more work to be done in other places around the world... the Middle-East as a whole, for example.

But to claim that "misogyny has never been so prevalent and blatant" is ridiculous.

Exactly, women of the first world thinking that they still are the top of the victim hierarchy is laughable.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
« Reply #104 on: July 04, 2017, 11:22:40 AM »

Exactly, women of the first world thinking that they still are the top of the victim hierarchy is laughable.

I was working for a company two years ago, and in work counsel. I thought it could not be true, but the company payed women less, for the same job and same skills. So why is this to laugh at? I am not on a mission here. Do not wanna be annoying, i'm just telling ya what happened. We were a group of sensible people and wanted to adress it. It's ignored, because that's easy and cheap.
On the other hand, there are in some professions women who are more succesfull than any guy. I get that too. But these women are well trained and skilled and have good contacts.