Author Topic: Bonnaroo rehearsals  (Read 1952 times)

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
Bonnaroo rehearsals
« on: May 27, 2017, 12:53:24 PM »
What is the likelihood of either of the Chicago or Pittsburgh shows essentially being treated as rehearsals for Bonnaroo? Remember when U3 treated one of the Anaheim shows on 360 like that, moving both One and Streets near the beginning, coming directly after the opening quintet of Achtung Baby songs?

Personally, as I am attending both Chicago 2 and Pittsburgh, I am not opposed to this, so long as it doesn't entail their cutting the setlist shorter than they already have (as I expect them to play a shorter set in Bonnaroo, as they've only been allotted a 90 minute block of time).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 12:53:47 PM by cocamojoe »

monopoly

Re: Bonnaroo rehearsals
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 01:14:51 PM »
Highly doubt it'll affect you. The worst they'll do at bonaroo is cut Miss Sarajevo and some political talk. But it won't affect you in any way.

Offline rlj1010

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 01:26:40 PM »
I think they'll still do their full 2-hour show at Bonnaroo, despite what it says.   Most of the big name headliners do their full shows there, and I expect U2 to be no different.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 01:56:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think they'll still do their full 2-hour show at Bonnaroo, despite what it says.   Most of the big name headliners do their full shows there, and I expect U2 to be no different.
In fact, it's semi the norm for headliners, especially on Friday and Saturday nights, to break curfew at Bonnaroo.

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 03:12:22 PM »

Do you think the set will change much considering most festival sets have to be hit heavy

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 03:17:20 PM »

Do you think the set will change much considering most festival sets have to be hit heavy
That's precisely what they did at Glastonbury a few years ago, so I'd expect it here, too. All the same, I'm fairly certain that, in advertisements and press releases about their Bonnaroo performance, that the emphasis has been on the Joshua Tree; so, I do expect them to play those 11 songs.

Offline rlj1010

• Wanderer
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 06:06:57 PM »

Actually, I really don't think the set will change much, if at all.  Bonnaroo is a different kind of a festival, with more of a rootsy hippie jam-fest vibe.  Pop music is almost looked down upon at this setting.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 07:25:49 PM »
As U2 doesn't start until 11pm, I wonder if they'll start with Streets. All the same, as I suspect there will be many casual fans to just curious watchers, opening with a few recognizables such as they've been doing might be helpful in the way of hooking them into staying until the end of the set.

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 04:25:54 AM »

Actually, I really don't think the set will change much, if at all.  Bonnaroo is a different kind of a festival, with more of a rootsy hippie jam-fest vibe.  Pop music is almost looked down upon at this setting.

So we should get the whole JT in this set then? Could we hope for a bit more AB?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 06:07:08 AM »
I don't think it will differ like Glastonbury did. They might work in some actual legit Southern desert songs like The Wanderer or JC version of One. 

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 06:35:25 PM »
Funny, U2 are playing Pittsburgh and Tennessee the same week of the NHL Championship which has teams from both areas.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 11:38:17 PM »
Funny, U2 are playing Pittsburgh and Tennessee the same week of the NHL Championship which has teams from both areas.

Let's go Pens!

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 09:03:07 AM »
Will they really play the entire JT album at Bonnorro? Or just 5-6 JT songs, then hits?

Offline marcovox

• Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 09:15:53 PM »
Really hoping that play something dancey as the encore.  Everyone is going to be tripping balls.  Would be the biggest let down if they didn't, and then closed with Little Things.  Please God, don't end with Little Things.  Don't even play it, actually, if anyone from the U2 camp is reading this.

Offline rlj1010

• Wanderer
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 02:41:41 PM »
I'm expecting a carbon copy of a typical Joshua Tree show...  but i think they'll do I Will Follow rather than Little Things.
Basically, same setlist as Rose Bowl #1 (minus ASOH... and maybe they'll skip Miss Sarajevo too.)