Author Topic: How are these shows?  (Read 999 times)

Offline chefconti

• Babyface
How are these shows?
« on: May 29, 2017, 05:23:17 PM »
Like most fans on this site, I've followed along with the setlists, YouTube videos, etc., but can't really get a sense if there's any magic with these shows/this tour or not?  Usually, with most tours, you can really get a sense of the mystique that's forming, but this time around, I feel almost none outside of the band's appearance on Jimmy Kimmel.  I'll be at Foxboro on 6/25.  Thoughts from those who have attended thus far or watched from afar like myself?  Thanks.

Offline Rejoice

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: How are these shows?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 07:12:56 PM »
Can't speak on behalf of the other shows, but the spirit was definitely in the house in Dallas. 7th time seeing them, all were amazing but something extra special about this one.

Offline GPitt

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 07:40:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Can't speak on behalf of the other shows, but the spirit was definitely in the house in Dallas. 7th time seeing them, all were amazing but something extra special about this one.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt that way. Dallas was a beautiful experience.

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 08:25:46 PM »
I was at Dallas, as well. I loved the way they opened with the drums of SBS. It was also my first time hearing Bad live, which was special. When it came time for the album, I got a little choked up when the screen went red and the tree started to flash with the guitar. I thought the presentation of the Joshua Tree material was flat out beautiful. I've seen some quibbling about encore choices, but that was all just gravy for me--and I did enjoy them. But it's the quick succession of early hits that open the show and the widescreen presentation of The Joshua Tree that follows that is the emotional core. Witnessing that alone was worth every penny.

Offline JohnMegadeth

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 09:30:52 AM »
I attended Dallas (my third time seeing them), and it was stellar. It was well done, energetic, and emotional. It was a great experience, and I hope you'll enjoy it as well.

Offline rlj1010

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 10:00:50 AM »
I haven't seen the show in person yet, but I've been following via setlists, reviews, periscopes, youtube, etc.
And it seems like the first 3 shows or so, they weren't quite gelling yet.. but as the tour goes on, the shows are getting much better.

Offline mcpaulson22

• Babyface
  • Ill see you again when the stars fall from the sky
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 10:10:50 AM »
I was at Pasadena #1. I think the magic is definitely there. I liked the show better than the 360 show I saw in Salt Lake City, UT back in 2011.
Opening with SBS was epic, and I think Anton's video during the JT segment really breaths new life into a 30 year album. Everyone around me was smiles ear to ear during the whole show. It was a religious experience from beginning to end - the band is really starting to hit their stride with this tour. As with all tours, it will continually get better as the show progresses.

I do think they need to work on the transition INTO the JT segment. Pride into Streets just doesn't do it for me. The transition just seemed to abrupt. I think we'll see some changes with the Chicago shows.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 08:48:27 AM »
Just thought I'd jump in, if you're interested.  I'd be interested in others' thoughts on this tour/these shows, aside from those who've written it off as purely "nostalgia" or a simple cash grab.  I saw Chicago 1, so here are my thoughts:

Production-wise, it's stellar.  The big screen is gorgeous.  Honestly, the highlight for me was the visuals for the JT segment, the way it pays tribute to/mimics the album cover.  These are definitive visuals for the songs, Streets in particular.  It's simply BEGGING for a Blu-ray release.  I'll pre-order it NOW, if they say it's coming.

I was also a big proponent that they open with Streets.  I understand why they did it they way they did, though, and it does mostly work with the 4-song pre-JT set.  SBS works well as an opener, and nicely sets the stage for where U2 was going into 1987.  Loved NYD with the extra verse.

My biggest complaint is not getting ASOH at my show.  That's a bucket-list song for me, and it would work stunningly well thematically, musically, everything.  I'm bummed I didn't get to see this--I'd have lost my mind.  And I think it could have worked even better as the transition song to Streets.  It just makes so much sense, I'm incredulous they started dropping it.  We got Bad as the third song.  Way too early in the set.  It should be in the encore, post JT.  Make the opener SBS > NYD > Pride > ASOH, and you're set to do TJT.

The highlights were TTYW and Exit, really.  I'm not sure about the Exit "character", but it was a great, intense performance.

Other than that, I think the biggest problem is the post-JT portion.  Some rarer songs (UV, MS) seem distinctly less magical, and I'm bored to death of BD and Elevation.  This show is well and truly about TJT.  I will say, I thought Bono seemed less energetic this time--age may be catching up with him.  And RHMT wasn't terribly great after all this time.

All in all, I thought it was a good tribute to/performance of TJT that certainly had some good doses of nostalgia, but wasn't stuck there.  In some instances, I think this is how they would have done it back then, if the technology would have allowed.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 08:58:13 AM »
Just thought I'd jump in, if you're interested.  I'd be interested in others' thoughts on this tour/these shows, aside from those who've written it off as purely "nostalgia" or a simple cash grab.  I saw Chicago 1, so here are my thoughts:

Production-wise, it's stellar.  The big screen is gorgeous.  Honestly, the highlight for me was the visuals for the JT segment, the way it pays tribute to/mimics the album cover.  These are definitive visuals for the songs, Streets in particular.  It's simply BEGGING for a Blu-ray release.  I'll pre-order it NOW, if they say it's coming.

I was also a big proponent that they open with Streets.  I understand why they did it they way they did, though, and it does mostly work with the 4-song pre-JT set.  SBS works well as an opener, and nicely sets the stage for where U2 was going into 1987.  Loved NYD with the extra verse.

My biggest complaint is not getting ASOH at my show.  That's a bucket-list song for me, and it would work stunningly well thematically, musically, everything.  I'm bummed I didn't get to see this--I'd have lost my mind.  And I think it could have worked even better as the transition song to Streets.  It just makes so much sense, I'm incredulous they started dropping it.  We got Bad as the third song.  Way too early in the set.  It should be in the encore, post JT.  Make the opener SBS > NYD > Pride > ASOH, and you're set to do TJT.

The highlights were TTYW and Exit, really.  I'm not sure about the Exit "character", but it was a great, intense performance.

Other than that, I think the biggest problem is the post-JT portion.  Some rarer songs (UV, MS) seem distinctly less magical, and I'm bored to death of BD and Elevation.  This show is well and truly about TJT.  I will say, I thought Bono seemed less energetic this time--age may be catching up with him.  And RHMT wasn't terribly great after all this time.

All in all, I thought it was a good tribute to/performance of TJT that certainly had some good doses of nostalgia, but wasn't stuck there.  In some instances, I think this is how they would have done it back then, if the technology would have allowed.

Thanks for this - if I'm honest I'm dreading it. I don't get (agree?) with why the tour is there in the first place. I'd hate to think this is about going through the motions so this sounds positive

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 09:47:38 AM »

Thanks for this - if I'm honest I'm dreading it. I don't get (agree?) with why the tour is there in the first place. I'd hate to think this is about going through the motions so this sounds positive

Yeah.  Mileage may vary, of course, but I didn't get the impression that they were "going through the motions", with the possible exception of the encore, where I think the "messaging" took precedence over the music.  You'll never think you're seeing U2 as they were in 1987, but I thought it was mostly well done.

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 11:34:10 AM »
Definitely "magic" at LA1.  To some extent, I feel that Californians have a unique connection with these desert songs.  Of course the same is true for the people of Arizona, Colorado etc., in different ways.  To see "our" desert on that massive screen is something special.  And the soundtrack, well, it's in all our hearts, and that is where the magic lies.  Hearing Bono say, "Welcome to Side 2" made me giddy.  "Exit" gave me goosebumps.  "Mothers" brought me to tears.  The Joshua Tree is alive and well.  Magic.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 11:59:22 AM »
I didn't feel they were going through the motions at Santa Clara or LA2 which I saw. I love the show other than the encores. The production is amazing and the songs are classic.

I also thought the crowds, especially Santa Clara were pretty lame. If you are going in Foxborough it should be better. I've seen U2 43 times and all over the place - Boston is always up there with Dublin. In Santa Clara he had to "ask" the crowd to clap and sing. In Boston they will know...