Author Topic: GA and the "Unofficial List"  (Read 26418 times)

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
Re: GA and the "Unofficial List"
« Reply #180 on: July 08, 2017, 05:16:30 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
We all know you'll be there.

Have to admit finger was hovering over the browser a few mins ago as the standing tickets for tomorrow have now landed on the RFU website.....
Oh, just go! PLEASE??? (They did Elevation tonight just for you, and you weren't there!)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #181 on: July 08, 2017, 05:24:41 PM »

Have to admit finger was hovering over the browser a few mins ago as the standing tickets for tomorrow have now landed on the RFU website.....
Oh, just go! PLEASE??? (They did Elevation tonight just for you, and you weren't there!)

I've just taken the plunge.....makes me laugh - standing ticket £70 plus £8.25 'fees'.....charging people nearly a tenner in fees for a ticket purchased less than 24 hours before the show that will of course be collected at venue so isn't even postage - what a racket.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #182 on: July 08, 2017, 05:26:58 PM »

I've just taken the plunge.....makes me laugh - standing ticket £70 plus £8.25 'fees'.....charging people nearly a tenner in fees for a ticket purchased less than 24 hours before the show that will of course be collected at venue so isn't even postage - what a racket.
To quote a dear friend of mine, "This has made a grumpy old woman smile". I'm SO glad you're going...

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #183 on: July 08, 2017, 05:37:17 PM »

To quote a dear friend of mine, "This has made a grumpy old woman smile". I'm SO glad you're going...

It was likely i'd go in end....regardless of how uninspiring the setlist looks etc (i know why they are doing the hits) and TJT being an album i find 'ok' u2 usually put a good show on and they aren't going to be around forever....

End of day i've gone to every tour in my adult life and decided to keep that going.....its the old flame isn't it, it is still there!

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #184 on: July 08, 2017, 05:51:57 PM »

It was likely i'd go in end....regardless of how uninspiring the setlist looks etc (i know why they are doing the hits) and TJT being an album i find 'ok' u2 usually put a good show on and they aren't going to be around forever....

End of day i've gone to every tour in my adult life and decided to keep that going.....its the old flame isn't it, it is still there!
I think once the U2 flame has been truly lit, it never goes out. I'm honestly glad that you're going...I think you may have regretted it had you not seen this tour.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #185 on: July 08, 2017, 06:12:12 PM »

I think once the U2 flame has been truly lit, it never goes out. I'm honestly glad that you're going...I think you may have regretted it had you not seen this tour.

I'm confident that an tha is going to enjoy the show tomorrow.  On paper the setlist might be a bit boring but in practice it animates the crowd and shows their wares as a powerful live band.  I am expecting to have a good time tomorrow myself  :)

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #186 on: July 08, 2017, 06:14:45 PM »

I'm confident that an tha is going to enjoy the show tomorrow.  On paper the setlist might be a bit boring but in practice it animates the crowd and shows their wares as a powerful live band.  I am expecting to have a good time tomorrow myself  :)
You will both enjoy...you'll even enjoy Elevation! Glad you're both going.
(Hey, I'm such a silly, they could probably play Wild Honey for 2 hours and I'd still enjoy it!)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #187 on: July 08, 2017, 06:40:06 PM »
I've stayed out completely from all the setlist debate for this tour as until tonight i wasn't attending...

My thoughts are this....it is 'on paper' pretty uninspiring but that said i can see how it would work in a situation like this tour.

Big stadiums with lots of casual fans in and probably a lot of people who know u2 for their hits and this album mainly.

So start show with well known big u2 songs and get good energy with stuff everybody recognises and carry that into the front loaded (in terms of people knowing the songs if not necessarily quality) TJT section.

Once the TJT section reaches the latter part of its stretch it is likely a lot of the casuals will be losing interest a bit.....i caught some of the periscope feed tonight during OTH and Exit and it looked like a fair few people around where it was being filmed (reasonably close to front) were walking around, walking away, standing talking etc.....so after that and the great but a little 'esoteric' (for a stadium crowd) Miss Sarajevo it probably 'needs' the big dumb hits to end the show...so the likes of Vertigo, Elevation and BD being wheeled out is no shock.

It is also a pretty safe thing to say u2 aren't always great at just playing songs they haven't played a lot or in an age and it is probably a fair strain on their chops to get the rarer TJT songs played so adding in other lesser spotted beasts isn't likely - the safety of songs they can crank out with their eyes closed like Vertigo et al (and of course the crowd knowing and being up for) makes sense in this environment.

It was always going to be 'u2 for dummies' TJT their most well known album plus the hits....it works for the masses in enormodomes and it stays well within the bands compass to put on a show that will win over lapsed/casual fans who may then stick around/get back on the bus and is accessible for new fans.

For the diehards there is the new song - regardless of how good it is - but 3 of them isn't going to go down as well with all the above considered as the 3 big 00's hits or kicking off with the big 80's hits.

Yes they are boring and overplayed in the eyes of a lot of the fans who are close to the band but to average joe those songs well they are u2 aren't they, they are the songs that people associate with u2.

So it is what it is and to be fair it sounds like they have been doing ok.....
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 06:48:15 PM by an tha »

Offline Vertigo144

• Stranger in a Strange Land
GA and the "Unofficial List"
« Reply #188 on: July 08, 2017, 07:31:49 PM »
I found this Billy Joel interview on Reddit and he talks about how at each of his shows, the seats in the first couple of rows are reserved for upgrades from the nosebleeds. He got tired of seeing rich people in the front row of all of his shows, so this is his way of getting real fans to the front.

Obviously U2 hasn't had floor seats in years, but it would be nice if they could do something similar.

Yes and no, people pay for GA to have the chance to be upfront. If they're going to do that, then u2 should go back to seats on the floor. I noticed they are upgrading people to redzone though for tonight's show

Really? Where did you hear that?  Is it random?
I was one of those lucky people at a Billy Joel concert and eons ago at an Elton John concert.  Nosebleed seats and ended up front center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #189 on: July 09, 2017, 12:58:41 AM »

(Hey, I'm such a silly, they could probably play Wild Honey for 2 hours and I'd still enjoy it!)

I think we’re having some technical difficulties on the forum tonight, because I swear that I just read that an tha’s taken the plunge. Then, there was the mention that the JT album went from a ‘meh’ album to an ‘okay’ album. This is either a forum software glitch, or dare I say growth? (Or maybe good drink tonight?)

But then the mention of periscope really blew my mind, and "Everything you know is wrong" kept running through my head.

So a big atta boy to an tha.
But if the forum completely implodes tonight, then I guess it was a glitch.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #190 on: July 09, 2017, 04:28:13 AM »

I think we’re having some technical difficulties on the forum tonight, because I swear that I just read that an tha’s taken the plunge. Then, there was the mention that the JT album went from a ‘meh’ album to an ‘okay’ album. This is either a forum software glitch, or dare I say growth? (Or maybe good drink tonight?)

But then the mention of periscope really blew my mind, and "Everything you know is wrong" kept running through my head.

Hawk, I'm reading your post at 3:25am...and laughing myself silly! Coffee is about to come out of my nose...this may be one of the best, most true posts I've ever read! Ya gotta love our an tha, yes?

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #191 on: July 09, 2017, 04:58:56 AM »
Have a great time, An Tha!  Remember, lots of fist-pumping on your part, right?   8)  I'm glad you got to go. 

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #192 on: July 09, 2017, 05:22:32 AM »

I'll be honest with you, hawk (but don't tell anyone ok) i am only going because il_capo has promised to wear that velvet dress....

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #193 on: July 09, 2017, 05:23:25 AM »
Have a great time, An Tha!  Remember, lots of fist-pumping on your part, right?   8)  I'm glad you got to go.

Thanks..

Now where is that mole t-shirt

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #194 on: July 09, 2017, 05:27:20 AM »

Thanks..

Now where is that mole t-shirt
Probably in a hole