Author Topic: GA and the "Unofficial List"  (Read 26380 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: GA and the "Unofficial List"
« Reply #195 on: July 09, 2017, 06:03:59 AM »
Good photie of front rows last night within this...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #196 on: July 09, 2017, 06:31:24 AM »
Nice shot of the official U2 fan queue management team there.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #197 on: July 09, 2017, 09:23:34 AM »
Have a great time, An Tha!  Remember, lots of fist-pumping on your part, right?   8)  I'm glad you got to go.

Thanks..

Now where is that mole t-shirt
Probably in a hole

Like you only have one mole in a hole t shirt...

On a serious note, am I correct in my understanding that the "list" was honored (honoured)  yesterday and today and people just lined up behind them? No drama?

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #198 on: July 09, 2017, 08:08:12 PM »
Just returned from vacation to read An Tha took the plunge?!?!?!?!?!?!
😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍
Looking forward to your review...

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #199 on: July 10, 2017, 12:26:07 AM »
I think we’re having some technical difficulties on the forum tonight, because I swear that I just read that an tha’s taken the plunge. Then, there was the mention that the JT album went from a ‘meh’ album to an ‘okay’ album. This is either a forum software glitch, or dare I say growth? (Or maybe good drink tonight?)

But then the mention of periscope really blew my mind, and "Everything you know is wrong" kept running through my head.

So a big atta boy to an tha.
But if the forum completely implodes tonight, then I guess it was a glitch.
Hawk, I'm reading your post at 3:25am...and laughing myself silly! Coffee is about to come out of my nose...this may be one of the best, most true posts I've ever read! Ya gotta love our an tha, yes?

Yes. Sometimes I just want to squeeze him... I mean really squeeze.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #200 on: July 10, 2017, 05:26:55 AM »

The question now is in "what way?" though... ;)

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #201 on: July 10, 2017, 05:30:35 AM »

The question now is in "what way?" though... ;)
Thanks for posting that, Trev...I was afraid to ask!  :D

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #202 on: July 10, 2017, 06:38:46 AM »
Well, I'm a man of the people here, so...  :P

Offline SDD3000

• Stateless
« Reply #203 on: July 10, 2017, 12:12:31 PM »

That's me far left. Those guys to my side deserve medals for what they do. Great guys. Was a fantastic show, our faces say it all.

Offline Synj

• Babyface
« Reply #204 on: July 10, 2017, 01:33:52 PM »

That's me far left. Those guys to my side deserve medals for what they do. Great guys. Was a fantastic show, our faces say it all.

Serious question: Why? What do they do that's deserving of a medal?

Not being snarky, curious to your thoughts.

Offline SDD3000

• Stateless
« Reply #205 on: July 10, 2017, 02:27:02 PM »

They handle the GA lines and make sure everyone is numbered and no one jumps in. They let security know, and let us all know what roughly the times are going to be. We are all wristbanded named and numbered. Its all about organisation. We were all at the venue for 6am. While I just stood about, they were making sure everything was running smooth. Its a long day. But as you can see with our faces.. its worth it.

Offline Synj

• Babyface
« Reply #206 on: July 10, 2017, 03:47:41 PM »

They handle the GA lines and make sure everyone is numbered and no one jumps in. They let security know, and let us all know what roughly the times are going to be. We are all wristbanded named and numbered. Its all about organisation. We were all at the venue for 6am. While I just stood about, they were making sure everything was running smooth. Its a long day. But as you can see with our faces.. its worth it.

I appreciate your honesty but I think your gratitude might be a little misplaced. I'm not trying to pick a fight but I just can't help but feel that the 'selflessness' of this act is not all that selfless. I've heard and read the 'doing it for the fans' argument and 'preventing chaos' but I just don't believe it.

1) if it's a selfless act, why are the same people rewarded over and over and over with the best location night after night after night?
2) if it's for the fans, why are so many fans so vocal against it?
3) why not let other people have that same experience? That same thrill?
4) why do the 'line organizers' refuse to understand that other people think the 'game is rigged'?
5) with the current 'line system' do you believe I or anyone that's not part of 'the clique' could ever hope to have those exact spots that are monopolized show after show after show by the same exact people? If so, how? How do I become #1-20? Who do I have to contact to make that happen?

It just all seems so disingenuous. We're doing this for safety. We're doing this for the fans. And in turn, we take the very best and most coveted spots for every show. It's only fair.

I wont pretend that I'm not envious. I would love to have those spots just once in my life. I would queue for a long time just to make it happen. But I can't help but fill like even if I could be within 10 feet of those spots, I can never be in those spots, because it's fixed. There is no chance for me to be #1-20. Correct me if I'm wrong. But even if I could, I'm not sure I could suspend the ethical conflict I have with imposing my will on 10,000 other paying ticket holders/fans.

This has all been beaten to death but I can't help but think of this gif when I look at that picture.

They could be the best guys in the world, but their actions seem to go against the very ideals of fairness. They have literally become 1%ers, they get the very best, most coveted spots at a show they've seen or will see multiple times, from the very same, very best spots. Give another guy a shot, even if it's not me.

Offline SDD3000

• Stateless
« Reply #207 on: July 10, 2017, 04:41:28 PM »
If people want those spots then all they have to do is what I do and turn up.. That's my only date I'm attending and that's where I ended up. Not everyone wants to be in line all day though and be there at 6am.. That's cool. But I wanted a good view and was willing to do so. Also I was number 113... Believe it or not.. not everybody wants to be dead centre. Some like the B stage or to stand if front of Adam..
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 04:45:37 PM by SDD3000 »

Offline shesarainbow

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • With a guitar ... on fire.
« Reply #208 on: July 10, 2017, 04:52:25 PM »

I appreciate your honesty but I think your gratitude might be a little misplaced. I'm not trying to pick a fight but I just can't help but feel that the 'selflessness' of this act is not all that selfless. I've heard and read the 'doing it for the fans' argument and 'preventing chaos' but I just don't believe it.

1) if it's a selfless act, why are the same people rewarded over and over and over with the best location night after night after night?
2) if it's for the fans, why are so many fans so vocal against it?
3) why not let other people have that same experience? That same thrill?
4) why do the 'line organizers' refuse to understand that other people think the 'game is rigged'?
5) with the current 'line system' do you believe I or anyone that's not part of 'the clique' could ever hope to have those exact spots that are monopolized show after show after show by the same exact people? If so, how? How do I become #1-20? Who do I have to contact to make that happen?

It just all seems so disingenuous. We're doing this for safety. We're doing this for the fans. And in turn, we take the very best and most coveted spots for every show. It's only fair.

I wont pretend that I'm not envious. I would love to have those spots just once in my life. I would queue for a long time just to make it happen. But I can't help but fill like even if I could be within 10 feet of those spots, I can never be in those spots, because it's fixed. There is no chance for me to be #1-20. Correct me if I'm wrong. But even if I could, I'm not sure I could suspend the ethical conflict I have with imposing my will on 10,000 other paying ticket holders/fans.

This has all been beaten to death but I can't help but think of this gif when I look at that picture.

They could be the best guys in the world, but their actions seem to go against the very ideals of fairness. They have literally become 1%ers, they get the very best, most coveted spots at a show they've seen or will see multiple times, from the very same, very best spots. Give another guy a shot, even if it's not me.

It saddens me to say it but I agree with Synj's point of view. I have never met any of these line leaders but I too struggle with the idea that it's all done through pure altruism. I have been personally attacked on other forums by people in favour of fan run lines ... just for asking reasonable questions about the system. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

SDD3000 is right in that it is all about organisation and the Twickenham GA line was incredibly well managed. However, I think most of the credit for that should go the venue and crowd management.

Offline Synj

• Babyface
« Reply #209 on: July 10, 2017, 05:01:06 PM »
If people want those spots then all they have to do is what I do and turn up.. That's my only date I'm attending and that's where I ended up. Not everyone wants to be in line all day though and be there at 6am.. That's cool. But I wanted a good view and was willing to do so. Also I was number 113... Believe it or not.. not everybody wants to be dead centre. Some like the B stage or to stand if front of Adam..

Interesting. I have no reason to not believe you so it's encouraging to me that at #113 you were able to get that spot. I too would prefer to be in front of the B-stage. I've got 3 shows in which to try =)

In the picture there is a hand with the #2 right behind the Celtics fan and the guy that looks like he just took a blow to the head, maybe there was more going on here than we know LOL. Was your number the official wristband or the unofficial line? Was anyone that wasn't on the unofficial line displaced? I read somewhere that people that did not go onto the unofficial list were sent to the back. Could be hearsay.