Author Topic: GA and the "Unofficial List"  (Read 26945 times)

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
Re: GA and the "Unofficial List"
« Reply #240 on: July 18, 2017, 02:08:15 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

That Berlin idea isn't a bad one.

For me it was as I had a chance to get to the 2nd row at the B-stage. I could arrive the day of the concert only, but I was queuing from 10.30 on, so I had no. 401 on my wristband. There is an enormous capacity along the stages and the "catwalk", as it's all very huge. I think there can be like 500 People in the first row.

But any idea about Dublin?

Offline Aprilshack

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #241 on: July 18, 2017, 02:40:48 AM »

Is the tree stage as high as the main stage?

For me it was as I had a chance to get to the 2nd row at the B-stage. I could arrive the day of the concert only, but I was queuing from 10.30 on, so I had no. 401 on my wristband. There is an enormous capacity along the stages and the "catwalk", as it's all very huge. I think there can be like 500 People in the first row.

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #242 on: July 18, 2017, 03:10:17 AM »

No. The main stage is very high, also the one half of the catwalk. The catwalk is sloping, as you can see in videos and pictures, and it's getting lower to B-stage level, and the B-stage has a very good height to stand and see everything, (even for me...and I'm "Bono-sized" ;D )
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 03:12:18 AM by Catlithco »

Offline Aprilshack

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #243 on: July 18, 2017, 03:36:22 AM »

So the end of the b stage seems best? Might go for that if so.

No. The main stage is very high, also the one half of the catwalk. The catwalk is sloping, as you can see in videos and pictures, and it's getting lower to B-stage level, and the B-stage has a very good height to stand and see everything, (even for me...and I'm "Bono-sized" ;D )

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #244 on: July 18, 2017, 03:54:47 AM »

So the end of the b stage seems best? Might go for that if so.

For me definitely, as you are very close to them when they play the pre JT songs, and after the Jt songs. You can watch JT from the distance, have a full view to the visuals.
But others might have an other opinion.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 04:43:29 AM by Catlithco »

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #245 on: July 18, 2017, 05:16:03 AM »
It was a general question aimed at the people who go through/do all this queueing - so interested in anyones views on it who do.

It looks to me as if it isn't really the best seat in the house though....it looks horribly crowded, how do you get off to the toilet/get a beer?

The stages are really high - you must spend most of the gig craning your neck?

The hours and hours of being stuck out in a queue looks and sounds horrible to me.

I wandered down to the front albeit right off to the side stage right looking at it at Twickenham (this was literally ten mins before gig began) and the closer i got the less i felt i could 'take in' of what was in front of me......as i wandered back to my spot just in front of the desk i looked back at the 'view' and to me it seemed better the closer i got to my spot.

Of course it is different for everybody but it just looks like it isn't all that to me.....So i am interested to know what it is that the people who do it find so good about it and to try and get a feel for just how much 'work' it involves - how many actual hours are spent in the queue etc...how many hours you are stuck on a rail in stadium once it opens etc...and how that balances with the 'experience'.

To address a few of the points...

The "highly crowded" aspect doesn't really kick in until closer to show time, it at all. All shows are different though, depending on the act or who in particular is there, etc.Plus, if you're on the rail, it's nice to have a spot to literally lean on too if the situation calls for it.

Bathroom or drinks can vary. Some people can go without any of the stuff during the show at all, which certainly helps. I tend to find people are flexible anyway, and I think they sometimes send people down there offering drinks and whatever type of things too. It's not like everyone's a hermit down there or anything.

Re: stage heights.... if you're at the very front stage, then yeah, it might be a bit of looking up there (although I hear it's slightly less worse than 360). I went in when doors opened the second night of Chicago and managed to be 30 feet or so away from the front stage with plenty of room around me. Very good spot and didn't have to look up or whatever. The night before, I went to the b-stage, which is the last time I queued, and that was only about five feet off the ground. Fantastic place to see the first few songs as a result. Arena is kind of similar too.

The hours queueing... honestly, I've gotten used to it by this point, although I'm also experienced enough now to know it's not always necessary. That being said, it is a great way to meet people and talk to pass the time, or see old faces again and that sort of thing. So the camaraderie aspect of it is pretty cool. And in a lot of cases, you don't have to literally stay there all day. You can walk to get food or stretch your legs and that, so you're still able to get around somewhat.

Offline Synj

• Babyface
« Reply #246 on: July 18, 2017, 12:05:31 PM »
Is it really worth all that agg?

Don't know if this was directed my way but I'll respond.

As an all the time thing? No way.

As a once in my life thing? Yeah, I'd like to have the "best" seat in the house to my favorite band once in my life.

It was a general question aimed at the people who go through/do all this queueing - so interested in anyones views on it who do.

It looks to me as if it isn't really the best seat in the house though....it looks horribly crowded, how do you get off to the toilet/get a beer?

The stages are really high - you must spend most of the gig craning your neck?

The hours and hours of being stuck out in a queue looks and sounds horrible to me.

I wandered down to the front albeit right off to the side stage right looking at it at Twickenham (this was literally ten mins before gig began) and the closer i got the less i felt i could 'take in' of what was in front of me......as i wandered back to my spot just in front of the desk i looked back at the 'view' and to me it seemed better the closer i got to my spot.

Of course it is different for everybody but it just looks like it isn't all that to me.....So i am interested to know what it is that the people who do it find so good about it and to try and get a feel for just how much 'work' it involves - how many actual hours are spent in the queue etc...how many hours you are stuck on a rail in stadium once it opens etc...and how that balances with the 'experience'.

You're right, 'best' seat in the house is definitely subjective.

My ideal spot would be rail in front of the b-stage. Great place to start and end the show, much more intimate than the main stage, which I agree is too high to enjoy from the front. And during the JT set you are pretty central and can take in the entirety of the show/screen. I think there is definitely a sense of accomplishment that comes from having a coveted spot, and believe me I say that knowing that it sounds shallow, but it's the truth.

The bigger issue for me I think is boredom. Standing around all day sounds pretty terrible. Would much rather be hanging out at the bar, enjoying drinks, friends, etc.

All I know, is that once in my life, I want a front row spot and I'm going to try my best to make that happen. But I do have a hard time understanding how people do it show after show after show. To each their own.

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #247 on: July 18, 2017, 12:47:47 PM »

My ideal spot would be rail in front of the b-stage. Great place to start and end the show, much more intimate than the main stage, which I agree is too high to enjoy from the front. And during the JT set you are pretty central and can take in the entirety of the show/screen. I think there is definitely a sense of accomplishment that comes from having a coveted spot, and believe me I say that knowing that it sounds shallow, but it's the truth.

That's how it is. I was between B-stage and Main stage, and like 2nd/ 2nd 1/2 row close to B-stage:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It was fine with me to see them from the distance on the main stage, because I had the full view to the complete screen with the visuals..instead of my iPhone camera  :)
But I was very close to the intimate B-stage. Unfortunately Bono was singing to the wrong direction  ;D
He came to my side, but only a few times and very short.
BTW: it looks further away than I actually was.

The bigger issue for me I think is boredom. Standing around all day sounds pretty terrible. Would much rather be hanging out at the bar, enjoying drinks, friends, etc.

It was my first time standing for GA front row, and it wasn't boring at all. You meet and talk to so many other people around you from all over the world. It was actually a very nice experience, the only thing I wouldn't miss was the rain. And you can leave GA line..if you talk to the people and if you're polite, then you can walk away for having lunch or a drink. I did it in Berlin, and I came back to the place where I started queuing. No problem!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:52:43 PM by Catlithco »

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #248 on: July 18, 2017, 01:15:51 PM »
That was my view at the second Chicago show, basically, when I just walked into line 10 minutes before doors opened. Great spot!

monopoly

« Reply #249 on: July 18, 2017, 02:48:32 PM »

That doesn't sound right. The 200s at the rose bowl did not get rail

Offline Synj

• Babyface
« Reply #250 on: July 18, 2017, 04:04:57 PM »

That's how it is. I was between B-stage and Main stage, and like 2nd/ 2nd 1/2 row close to B-stage:

It was fine with me to see them from the distance on the main stage, because I had the full view to the complete screen with the visuals..instead of my iPhone camera  :)
But I was very close to the intimate B-stage. Unfortunately Bono was singing to the wrong direction  ;D
He came to my side, but only a few times and very short.
BTW: it looks further away than I actually was.

It was my first time standing for GA front row, and it wasn't boring at all. You meet and talk to so many other people around you from all over the world. It was actually a very nice experience, the only thing I wouldn't miss was the rain. And you can leave GA line..if you talk to the people and if you're polite, then you can walk away for having lunch or a drink. I did it in Berlin, and I came back to the place where I started queuing. No problem!

That looks like a great spot. That's my plan B spot if I can't get front of b-stage.

Had a forum buddy tell me he was 2nd row in front of Bono's mic main stage and he loved it, but he would have preferred to actually be 4-5 rows back. His argument is that 75% of the show is the main stage...again, there's that subjective 'best' seat in the house discussion.

I know that no matter where I end up, I'll enjoy the show. But there's this nagging insecurity that tells me I'll love it even more if I get a great spot =)

Once that fever takes hold, it's hard to shake LOL!

Offline Synj

• Babyface
« Reply #251 on: July 18, 2017, 04:08:56 PM »
That was my view at the second Chicago show, basically, when I just walked into line 10 minutes before doors opened. Great spot!

I have 3 more shows that I'm attending.

Detroit, Phoenix, San Diego.

I'm going to test my luck at Detroit and just show up a little before doors and see how it goes.

Phoenix is home, so if there's a queue/check in, I'm going to go for it. The only thing that could change that is if I can scratch that itch in Detroit and find that I'm able to do the same thing you did in Chicago.

San Diego is RZ, so IDGAF what time I get there, which is I think the best of both worlds =)

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #252 on: July 18, 2017, 04:27:45 PM »
Cool cool. Yeah, I'm doing Minneapolis in the fall (hometown gig too), so I'm debating whether to line up for that or do it like I did for the second Chicago show. I lined up for the first Chicago one and had a great view from the b-stage rail, but we'll see what I end up doing. I'll probably have a few friends lining up for Minneapolis anyway, so maybe I'll get talked into it somehow!

monopoly

« Reply #253 on: July 18, 2017, 05:22:08 PM »

I'm going to test my luck at Detroit and just show up a little before doors and see how it goes.

Phoenix is home, so if there's a queue/check in, I'm going to go for it. The only thing that could change that is if I can scratch that itch in Detroit and find that I'm able to do the same thing you did in Chicago.

San Diego is RZ, so IDGAF what time I get there, which is I think the best of both worlds =)

Just FYI, check ins and lists are being done by fans for RZ. Sometimes it can get really packed

Offline Synj

• Babyface
« Reply #254 on: July 18, 2017, 07:32:45 PM »

Just FYI, check ins and lists are being done by fans for RZ. Sometimes it can get really packed

Thanks for the heads up but I have no intention of queuing for RZ. Hanging out with my family and best friend in San Diego. Want to spend as little time as possible standing in a line especially considering I'll be doing the exact opposite just three days before that.

Queuing for RZ seems...silly to me. Just do GA if you want to queue?