Author Topic: GA and the "Unofficial List"  (Read 26956 times)

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
Re: GA and the "Unofficial List"
« Reply #315 on: September 02, 2017, 07:13:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have GA for St. Louis. I'm flying in from NY in Friday night after work....don't even know how to find out who the line list holder is, where they will be or how any of that works. Not to mention a female in an unfamiliar city (downtown, and oh btw there is a travel advisory in St. Louis too ...) ...

GA should not be a stressful experience.

Ughhhhhh anyone selling a redzone ticket for St. Louis?

You have to find it using the search on Facebook. Then they make you request to join since they want it to be private. There was some drama a month ago because they were denying people from joining.

I've never had any trouble joining any U2 Facebook group, usually the admin has added me within minutes of my request. Other people's mileage, of course, may vary. The only time I've ever seen people "kicked out" of a group is for being abusive toward members or trying to sell tickets for more than face.

Same here. That said, there is drama occasionally. I did notice in the Detroit group that there's a bit of drama between two members--one who has been criticized on other forums for his line running ways (let's call him person B) and another who is running the queue for Detroit (person A). Person B threw shade at person A's line running ability, person A basically called out person B and described him as dishonest, a snake etc. etc.

No them, only us. :) Gotta love the drama llamas!
So does that mean Detroit line has started?
Haha

There's drama for the Detroit show already? I didn't see that on any fb groups. Am I missing one of them? IS there a list for Detroit already? I said it last time but this is going to be my last time doing GA. I've already stopped traveling to shows. I don't have time for that anymore. I'm also tired of the GA line nonsense but, alas, I'm still in it this time so I guess I'll go along with said list nonsense.

It was the general Detroit TJT group and was between the line runner (person A) and another guy (person B) who is notorious for being a jerk. It was just on one thread there (that I saw). Other than that, just the occasional disagreement about the line.

I did walk right past the line runners today (en route to grab some will call tickets) and was tempted to sign up for the "list" but decided not to out of principle. I'll be there tomorrow morning and call it good. The more GA shows I attend, the less I agree with the way the list is currently run. It is not fair to out of towners or even to people who live in the city but don't know about the list. BTW, the "line" I saw today consisted of 8 people in fold up chairs yet the "list" has somehow ballooned up to 230 people? How is that fair? All those people are going to be ahead of those who show up tomorrow morning even though they literally did nothing to keep their spots.

I'm beginning to think more and more that the Springsteen system is the way to go. At least it's random. At least different people get a chance at rail.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • aka The Ultra Beasts (Welcome back!)
« Reply #316 on: September 03, 2017, 04:09:36 PM »
I've done the GA 3 times: Atlanta on Vertigo tour and both Belfast and Dublin on the I&E tour. For Atlanta, I was a lot younger, and my friend and I got in line around 10am. We added our names to the unofficial list, and had our number sharpied on our hand. As I recall, we were something like 117 and 118. Here's the thing: his father, a college professor in a town a good hour-ish away from Atlanta, was eventually joining us. I would say that we were adamant that he would join us (with his class schedule, with its being near the end of the semester--the show was in November--he wasn't able to queue early), but no one whom we talked with cared, as it was only one person, and his reasoning for being "late" was more than sound.

For Belfast and Dublin, I never queued. I just showed up a few hours before, and got a great spot for both shows.

However, I am doing GA for Pittsburgh, with three other friends being with me (i.e., the four of us are on the same credit card). I'm taking the day off of work, and I'm encouraging the others to do so (they're all U2 virgins, and have basically dubbed me as their go-to in our group for planning out the day, and where to aim for on the floor, as it'll be my 10th U2 show). There's one problem, though, and its with the one who actually put the tickets on her credit card: she is a widowed, single mother of two boys, both under 10. She isn't earning much money right now, and can't afford to pay a babysitter all day long, just so that she can avoid pi**ing off line nazis. Nor should she be expected to. However, on this very forum, I have been criticized by others for daring to suggest that she should be able to jump in the line wherever me and the other two may be. They are seriously insisting that she either pay an exorbitant amount to a babysitter, or that the other three of us only get in line when she is able to, as she is the one whose credit card will get the four of us in.

Seriously, one guy said, "Yeah, while I can understand her situation, it still isn't right, because if we let this happen, then what's to stop others from lying about it?" Seriously, who is this "we"?!

Don't get me wrong: I'm all for order and structure, but I'm 1,000% opposed to what these unofficial lines have devolved to (again, in Atlanta, 12 years ago, no one protested my friends father jumping in line with us later).

You mean she's never been to a U2 show, or she's literally never heard a U2 song? That seems hard, considering the Blackout hype.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • aka The Ultra Beasts (Welcome back!)
« Reply #317 on: September 03, 2017, 04:11:28 PM »
I haven't done GA at a U2 show since 2001, on the final night of the Elevation Tour.... I'm just not cut out for all the nonsense aggravation! 

For my several Vertigo arena 2005 shows, I did reserved lower level seats near the stage each time... perfect! 

U2 360 in 2011, I did lower level seats again... but this tour was in a stadium, I felt too far removed from the band, even though i was as closest reserved section to the stage you can get...

So now we're at a stadium again for Joshua Tree 2017...  so this time I'm doing GA, with a twist.... Red zone.    Hoping it goes smoothly.
Is GA Georgia? I'm not dumb, I just want to know if that's the context it's being used in.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #318 on: September 03, 2017, 05:26:21 PM »
Typically GA is used in this context to mean general admission, as in field or floor standing tickets. I assume this was an honest question so I'm giving an honest answer.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 07:31:30 PM by lorijane »

monopoly

« Reply #319 on: September 03, 2017, 05:40:10 PM »
I've done the GA 3 times: Atlanta on Vertigo tour and both Belfast and Dublin on the I&E tour. For Atlanta, I was a lot younger, and my friend and I got in line around 10am. We added our names to the unofficial list, and had our number sharpied on our hand. As I recall, we were something like 117 and 118. Here's the thing: his father, a college professor in a town a good hour-ish away from Atlanta, was eventually joining us. I would say that we were adamant that he would join us (with his class schedule, with its being near the end of the semester--the show was in November--he wasn't able to queue early), but no one whom we talked with cared, as it was only one person, and his reasoning for being "late" was more than sound.

For Belfast and Dublin, I never queued. I just showed up a few hours before, and got a great spot for both shows.

However, I am doing GA for Pittsburgh, with three other friends being with me (i.e., the four of us are on the same credit card). I'm taking the day off of work, and I'm encouraging the others to do so (they're all U2 virgins, and have basically dubbed me as their go-to in our group for planning out the day, and where to aim for on the floor, as it'll be my 10th U2 show). There's one problem, though, and its with the one who actually put the tickets on her credit card: she is a widowed, single mother of two boys, both under 10. She isn't earning much money right now, and can't afford to pay a babysitter all day long, just so that she can avoid pi**ing off line nazis. Nor should she be expected to. However, on this very forum, I have been criticized by others for daring to suggest that she should be able to jump in the line wherever me and the other two may be. They are seriously insisting that she either pay an exorbitant amount to a babysitter, or that the other three of us only get in line when she is able to, as she is the one whose credit card will get the four of us in.

Seriously, one guy said, "Yeah, while I can understand her situation, it still isn't right, because if we let this happen, then what's to stop others from lying about it?" Seriously, who is this "we"?!

Don't get me wrong: I'm all for order and structure, but I'm 1,000% opposed to what these unofficial lines have devolved to (again, in Atlanta, 12 years ago, no one protested my friends father jumping in line with us later).

You mean she's never been to a U2 show, or she's literally never heard a U2 song? That seems hard, considering the Blackout hype.

I'm going to be 100% honest with you, showing up on the day of wont get you any rail and you'll be 2-3 rows back. That's how crazy this whole thing has become. The line is well into the 300s the day before. Theres no point in getting there early if you're getting there showday.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #320 on: September 03, 2017, 07:35:12 PM »

I'm going to be 100% honest with you, showing up on the day of wont get you any rail and you'll be 2-3 rows back. That's how crazy this whole thing has become. The line is well into the 300s the day before. Theres no point in getting there early if you're getting there showday.

We got in line about 4:00 show day Chicago 2 and still could've gotten red zone rail or main stage rail in front of Adam, and from what ive heard, it wasn't a fluke. Tree stage rail goes first, I think, but we were still probably 4-5 rows off of it even given when we lined up. Had a great view of the tree stage and main stage and screen.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 06:44:08 AM by lorijane »

monopoly

« Reply #321 on: September 03, 2017, 08:10:31 PM »

We got in line about 4:00 show day Chicago 2 and still could've gotten red zone rail or main stage rail in front of Adam, and from what ive heard, it wasn't a fluke. Tree stage rail goes first, I think, but we were still probably 4-5 rows off of it even given when we lined up. Had a great viewnofntreenstage amd main stage and screen.

That's pretty good. I showed up 8 am rose bowl and was 3 rows off the tree stage, center

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #322 on: September 04, 2017, 11:04:51 AM »

That's not necessarily true and is really subject to the city/date. For instance, we showed up at 9am the day of the show in Pittsburgh and were number 160. However, we showed up around 830 yesterday and were number 420 in Detroit. It all depends on the show, although I do agree the line running situation has gotten out of hand.

Offline Ultravioletem

• Babyface
« Reply #323 on: September 04, 2017, 03:57:05 PM »
I showed up at 4:45 and was 2 rows back from maon stage 20-30 feet from Bono's mic. A few feet to my left was one of the west coast line runners. He did the check-ins and all the nonsense and at best his spot was marginally better than mine.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #324 on: September 04, 2017, 04:18:52 PM »
I'd love to see them go to a B. Springsteen kind of random format.  I'd love to have a shot at GA front row, even if it is random.  I just can't wait all day and night.

monopoly

« Reply #325 on: September 04, 2017, 04:58:56 PM »
I showed up at 4:45 and was 2 rows back from maon stage 20-30 feet from Bono's mic. A few feet to my left was one of the west coast line runners. He did the check-ins and all the nonsense and at best his spot was marginally better than mine.

Now that's what I'm talking bout!

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #326 on: September 04, 2017, 05:36:15 PM »
I'd love to see them go to a B. Springsteen kind of random format.  I'd love to have a shot at GA front row, even if it is random.  I just can't wait all day and night.
I agree. And wish you the best if luck scoring tickets!

Offline julez728

• Stateless
« Reply #327 on: September 07, 2017, 06:29:19 PM »
Per Indy FB page:
"The venue is ON BOARD with the fan run line! With that being said, the line will start tomorrow morning at 6 am (the venue knows that this is the official time it will start and has agreed to that. Any line started before that will not be recognized ). We are setting up on the corner of Missouri and Norwood on the opposite side of the street Look for the Irish flag! 🇨🇮 No one is allowed on the venue side of the street due to load ins and deliveries! All people in your party must be present to get a number! Check ins will be 7-8 pm on Friday and on Saturday from 7-8 am and 5-6 pm. Sunday morning, everyone that has a number should be here no later than 5 am. lined up on the side street NORWOOD! Police will escort us across Missouri St. to the corrals. They will start the numbered wristbands at 6 am. Once you get your official number, you may leave and come back (I would be here no later than 2 pm). You will get back in numerical order at this point and go thru the metal detectors and get your official JT GA wristband and put in chutes of 100 for entry."

Offline gsylvies

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #328 on: September 09, 2017, 07:30:48 AM »
In St Louis for 9/16 the America's Dome venue is doing their own line process.  Will be interesting to see if this conflicts with the "Unofficial List".

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #329 on: September 09, 2017, 09:24:20 AM »
My sister and I got in line about an hour before the show last night and ended up a row or three off of the rail for Beck and most of U2. By the end of U2, my sister was actually on the tree-stage rail and Bono even smiled at her at one point. Go figure!