Author Topic: How many more albums can we expect from U2 before they retire?  (Read 3658 times)

Offline MysteriousFly

• Babyface
  • I believe in the powers that be..wont overpower me
Re: How many more albums can we expect from U2 before they retire?
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2017, 06:28:39 PM »
well I saw the Rolling Stones on their 50 and counting Tour which was amazing, and they were pushing 70 at that point. I think U2 will keep making records and touring for at least another decade. With bands like the Stones playing into their 70s, I wouldn't be surprised if U2 spend their 60's touring. Obviously I can't speak for the band but....creativity in music isn't something you can just turn off. Rock is what they do and they like it so I'd say another decade of touring and recording is likely in my mind. 

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2017, 08:51:31 AM »
Retire? What retirement?  Only one way out and that's in a coffin (think this is the consensus within the U2 camp). 
(this is getting like 'How many more years will the Queen live for, or will she abdicate first and pass over to Prince Charles?')

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
  • Who's to say what it is will break you
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2017, 08:58:39 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

According to this article, SoE will probably be the last under U2’s 12-year deal with Live Nation. With the agreement set to expire in 2020, this record and the tour in support of it could be the finale to a career that began in September 1976. They’ll want to go out in a blaze of glory. How they orchestrate that remains to be seen.

I am praying they sign a new deal.  I can't even think about the end of U2.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2017, 10:08:42 AM »
That's only one idea as to what happens to U2 post 2020. 

Personally, I would love to see the back of Live Nation in regards to U2 because of the constraints that they put on the band and the music industry as a whole.  I'm recently back from a festival and, although it doesn't have a big budget, it would like to put on a number of bands.  But it can't because it's a small independent festival and once Live Nation signs an artist for any of it's many festivals there is an exclusivity clause around that act for the rest of the festival season.

So yes, I think U2 can achieve so much more without Live Nation and go in a direction that they would prefer (not retirement as both Bono & Willie have said joining U2 is like joining the priesthood - there's only one way out and that's not retirement!)

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2017, 10:53:36 AM »
I hope they'll sign a new agreement, but go on a different direction. Something for their age, something we won't like directly. Probably we'll like it after ten years. Maybe that could make them legends later (more than they are now).

A bit like Mark Knopfler, I mean.

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Wanderer
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2017, 12:59:04 PM »

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2017, 01:29:22 PM »
U2 won't retire ... musicians don't retire ... you just got to look at who Bono considers heroes ... Dylan, Sinatra, Simone, Cash, Nelson. They all play until they die. It's bigger than money or career. Personally over time I'd like to see U2 evolve into Bono crooning more. Songs like 'Dancing Shoes', 'Two Shots of Happy', 'Slow Dancing', 'Love Rescue Me' style songs. A slower paced more mature show. Even if it's just Bono and The Edge playing acoustic shows. They will always perform and write songs while ever they are alive. You don't spend years obsessing over a single album to just retire when a Live Nation contract is up. Speaking as a songwriter you have no choice in it. The songs choose you. As Bono and The Edge get older they will see life differently and they will want to write about it.

Only death can stop them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spacejunk69

« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2017, 03:26:30 PM »
U2 as best we know them retired in 1998. That was the last time they were a creative force.

Everything since they have been dialing it in, cashing in their pension, so to speak. Therefore we will probably get 10 more albums.

LOL, calm down OK!. Im joking (although its how I feel). I think another 1-2 albums at best (after SOE).

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2017, 07:47:08 PM »
I think a lot of it depends on if they re-up with LiveNation or not. If they don’t, that means they want to be able to be free to move forward as they want. If they do, it means they want a set structure to move forward on, for good or bad, which I think is the less ambitious/productive option. Especially after the Joshua Tree 2017 tour, I hope they leave LiveNation as soon as possible.

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2017, 04:19:19 PM »
We'll get SOE, and there might be one more album after that since they have talked about Songs of Ascent.

I have a terrible feeling that once their contractual obligations are up with LiveNation, they might disband U2. Which doesn't mean their relationships will end -- those are for life -- nor does it mean they'll stop making music in some form, individually or in pairs or with collaborators.  But maybe not the four of them together, as U2.

I hope I'm wrong and way paranoid but I get that feeling from recent song lyrics and also from recent interviews with Bono, because he seems really down to me. In the lyrics of Little Things (the end is not coming, the end is here) I feel Bono is talking about U2, that the thing they want U2 to be and to mean is slipping away. They very much want U2 to be relevant and if it no longer is and perhaps can't be -- as many on this board keep saying -- they may feel that's it, they should declare it formally over. In the lyrics to Best Thing -- why am I walking away -- I feel Bono is saying, why do I keep walking away from Ali and my family for a band that no longer fulfills the dream?

All four members are necessary to the alchemy that is U2, but Bono is the beating heart of the group. If he loses heart, that is the end.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2017, 06:04:02 PM »
Why are people saying he's down?  Examples?

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2017, 07:08:34 PM »
I don't know if I can give an example as far as anything specific he's said (apart from lyrics) it's just an impression of where his mood is at. Mostly nonverbal cues. His energy level seems lower. Edge seems to be taking more leadership, and I wonder if that's to take some weight off Bono. Of course he's trying not to come off that way but I feel kind of worried about him actually.

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2017, 07:12:07 PM »
Have other people also said that? How does he seem to you?

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2017, 07:54:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
We'll get SOE, and there might be one more album after that since they have talked about Songs of Ascent.

I have a terrible feeling that once their contractual obligations are up with LiveNation, they might disband U2. Which doesn't mean their relationships will end -- those are for life -- nor does it mean they'll stop making music in some form, individually or in pairs or with collaborators.  But maybe not the four of them together, as U2.

I hope I'm wrong and way paranoid but I get that feeling from recent song lyrics and also from recent interviews with Bono, because he seems really down to me. In the lyrics of Little Things (the end is not coming, the end is here) I feel Bono is talking about U2, that the thing they want U2 to be and to mean is slipping away. They very much want U2 to be relevant and if it no longer is and perhaps can't be -- as many on this board keep saying -- they may feel that's it, they should declare it formally over. In the lyrics to Best Thing -- why am I walking away -- I feel Bono is saying, why do I keep walking away from Ali and my family for a band that no longer fulfills the dream?

All four members are necessary to the alchemy that is U2, but Bono is the beating heart of the group. If he loses heart, that is the end.
. I agree with this! But ... I don't think they will ever break up.  They may make less music and not tour or even work on other things but they won't break up.

I totally got the why am I walking away as being from his family.  And my gosh he deserves to grow old with his wife on a beach somwhere