Author Topic: RS: Bono Talks 'Joshua Tree' Tour, Trump, Status of U2's Next Album  (Read 5579 times)

Offline DisgruntledSherpa

• Babyface
Re: RS: Bono Talks 'Joshua Tree' Tour, Trump, Status of U2's Next Album
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 02:19:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Really hope he means heavy and raw.  But then how many times before has he side the Edge was on fire and end up getting something else.

"This is our rock and roll record" - every record since Pop.

Offline dan

• Stateless
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 03:25:01 PM »
The interviewer asked " the new album early 2018" Bono " could be, maybe earlier. Don't quote me on that though"

Judging from the past, 2017 is pretty unlikely. Hope I'm wrong though.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 03:45:59 PM »
I live in hope that U2's greatest demo of the last 15 years is on SOE

All my life - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It's title is fairly apt for the album non?

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 03:54:31 PM »
...I loved the nod to a possible Zoo TV redux tour - I would love to see Bono acknowledging that he is now, to all intents, MacPhisto

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 04:06:37 PM »
...I loved the nod to a possible Zoo TV redux tour - I would love to see Bono acknowledging that he is now, to all intents, MacPhisto
Ha, according the how they originally described him, Bono became MacPhisto in 2003.  Didn't Bono say that he pictured himself in 10 years?

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 04:34:18 PM »
Ha, according the how they originally described him, Bono became MacPhisto in 2003.  Didn't Bono say that he pictured himself in 10 years?
Well, if so, then he really hit the nail on the head...

Offline Pouakai

• Stateless
  • I went walking, down that old eight-lane
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 05:01:14 PM »
Noticed we got a name for Bono's character in Exit too:

I had a lot of self-harm over the years playing that song. I was very glad not to play it for many years. I broke my shoulder. I got into some very dark places on the stage. I'd rather not step back into that song, but I found a way by thinking of where it came from and going back to the books I was reading at the time. I realized the real influence was probably Flannery O'Connor, so I developed this character called the Shadow Man and I'm managing to step into the shoes of the Shadow Man without any self-harm. It's quite a character. I'm actually using some lines from [the O'Connor book] Wise Blood. I also do "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe," which we grew up with in Europe, a totally racist thing. The bit from Wise Blood is, "Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going is never there. Where you are is no good unless you can get away from it." It's Southern Gothic, which is what I guess you'd call it.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 05:31:55 PM »
Informative interview at least we will have a tour with SOE with different screen images Something to look forward to.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 06:23:20 PM by mariamontreal »

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 07:02:55 PM »
Hope they put all 15 songs out even if done as some sort of special edition (which they kind of did with SOI). U2 don't have a great track record at picking "the best" 12 songs (very subjective of course). But to have left songs like Crystal Ballroom, Winter and Mercy off the last 3 albums is pretty silly. At least they saw the light of day unlike All My Life. 

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 08:09:47 PM »
If they do have 15 songs ready, there is no excuse whatsoever for this album to not be released in the year 2017.

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2017, 08:22:58 PM »
BONO: Actually the theme of Innocence and Experience has a line from a song called "Rejoice" which is "I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me." I wrote that at 22. That's the spirit of Innocence. But the spirit of Experience is actually I can change the world, I can't change the world in me. That is the actual, dare I say it, dialectic of Innocence and Experience.

At least he's finally explained the theme of the Experience portion of the Innocence+Experience Tour, albeit 2 years after the fact.

Offline Airuarak

• Wanderer
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2017, 09:59:40 PM »
ahh, point of order!

In Lucifer's Hands, which details a young punk rock band beginning their journey, the lyrics are "I can change the world... I can't change the world in me"... so why is this the spirit of Experience if it is a song, albeit not on SoI, that is about innocence.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2017, 10:05:26 PM »
honestly i think we'll get SOE, but as for an SOA, i doubt it. they'll have moved on to different ideas by then.

monopoly

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2017, 11:32:06 PM »
ahh, point of order!

In Lucifer's Hands, which details a young punk rock band beginning their journey, the lyrics are "I can change the world... I can't change the world in me"... so why is this the spirit of Experience if it is a song, albeit not on SoI, that is about innocence.

But EBW is a SOE, on SOI

Offline Airuarak

• Wanderer
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2017, 12:16:45 AM »
There's SOE on SOI? The Apple thing was bad, but now they did it to their own album?? We in the matrix?