Author Topic: RS: Bono Talks 'Joshua Tree' Tour, Trump, Status of U2's Next Album  (Read 5581 times)

monopoly

Re: RS: Bono Talks 'Joshua Tree' Tour, Trump, Status of U2's Next Album
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2017, 12:41:10 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There's SOE on SOI? The Apple thing was bad, but now they did it to their own album?? We in the matrix?

Yes, it was said in an interview with him. Can't find. Wish they would go back to just making good music. There's too much meaning now.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2017, 02:53:51 AM »

Don't know why Edge is being blamed.

Tongue in cheek. They have to distract Edge when the album's off to the CD factory, or he'd still be tinkering with it.

The Edge's motto: "The album's not finished until it's on iTunes/in stores."

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2017, 03:23:27 AM »

Tongue in cheek. They have to distract Edge when the album's off to the CD factory, or he'd still be tinkering with it.

similar to the filmmakers motto, films arent finished theyre ripped out of your hands

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2017, 04:27:57 AM »
The album may never be 'finished' when it's released.  I'm hoping there are plenty of raw, heavy 'f*** off songs' on it.

Offline jules

• Stateless
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2017, 04:30:15 AM »
Very good news that they think SOI is over-produced, IMHO California is over-produced but TIWYCRMN is spot on.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2017, 04:35:35 AM »
Yeah, I liked TIWYCRMN on the album and was hoping for a live version.  It's become like RHMT, which is a song I have always liked off TJT.

When will we get a live version on TIWYCRMN - probably not at an SOI 30th anniversary tour?!

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2017, 04:48:54 AM »
Poverty is sexist

Dallas, you rock! Your friendship and support can
help B man and his quitar playing.

Offline Sunchild

• Stateless
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2017, 06:27:38 AM »
ahh, point of order!

In Lucifer's Hands, which details a young punk rock band beginning their journey, the lyrics are "I can change the world... I can't change the world in me"... so why is this the spirit of Experience if it is a song, albeit not on SoI, that is about innocence.

At first I was confused what this line means "I can change the world... I can't change the world in me" as in reality the real world is only a reflection of of the world we have inside us, then it struck me why this line appeared in a song called Lucifer's Hands, it is a complete corruption and inversion of the soul when someone has given up on their own world, becoming literally lost in an illusion, therefore only a devil can guide that soul, hence Lucifer's Hands. Sort of like our suicide would change the world, as the act itself could change people's awareness or consciousness.  Sometimes the ëxperience"means losing ourselves. I am curious about the theme of Songs Of Ascent, usually there comes an inner awakening, due to the loss and pain of the experience.  Songs Of Experience is going to contain lots of dark things, pain, loss, sadness, grief, basically a corruption of the soul. Always the 2nd act of our life cycles.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 06:32:34 AM by Sunchild »

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2017, 08:30:39 AM »
ahh, point of order!

In Lucifer's Hands, which details a young punk rock band beginning their journey, the lyrics are "I can change the world... I can't change the world in me"... so why is this the spirit of Experience if it is a song, albeit not on SoI, that is about innocence.

At first I was confused what this line means "I can change the world... I can't change the world in me" as in reality the real world is only a reflection of of the world we have inside us, then it struck me why this line appeared in a song called Lucifer's Hands, it is a complete corruption and inversion of the soul when someone has given up on their own world, becoming literally lost in an illusion, therefore only a devil can guide that soul, hence Lucifer's Hands. Sort of like our suicide would change the world, as the act itself could change people's awareness or consciousness.  Sometimes the ëxperience"means losing ourselves. I am curious about the theme of Songs Of Ascent, usually there comes an inner awakening, due to the loss and pain of the experience.  Songs Of Experience is going to contain lots of dark things, pain, loss, sadness, grief, basically a corruption of the soul. Always the 2nd act of our life cycles.

I got lost at ,'at first I was confused'. without meaning to disrespect you, I think you're reading a bit too heavily into themes and meaning of innocence and experience. it's like listening to bono. at the end of the day, albums are a collection of songs. they are either good songs or bad songs. that's about the height of it for me.

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2017, 09:01:13 AM »

Reading that, I had the image of Bono jangling a set of keys (or perhaps a shiny new guitar pedal) to lead Edge away from the mixing desk and out of the room while Larry and Adam run in and grab the tapes to send them off.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 09:06:48 AM by NOLA Fly »

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2017, 02:06:54 PM »
'All my life' HAS to be put out somehow, It's a f**k off tune if there ever was one!  8)

Offline The Slow Loris

• Refugee
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2017, 03:16:36 PM »
I live in hope that U2's greatest demo of the last 15 years is on SOE

All my life - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It's title is fairly apt for the album non?

I wholeheartedly agree. This is the best U2 song NEVER released (with the exception of 'My Time Hasn't Come' from the Joshua Tree soundcheck in San Fran in 1987, as I remember). Both tunes are simply amazing. I wonder if U2 even remembers them now.

Offline garyu2

• Stateless
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2017, 03:53:34 PM »
Bono's dead wrong about the start of the show. It needs to be LONGER, not shorter.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2017, 11:39:08 AM »
Bono's dead wrong about the start of the show. It needs to be LONGER, not shorter.

It WAS longer, and the band took ASOH out and moved Bad until the 3rd section of the show.  I&E 2015 left off around 1982-1983, and they can only choose from a handful of songs to lead into TJT.  From War they have chosen 'hits' so no THBAO, which was a single hit but never played live in ages.  That leaves 2 well known songs.
From UF, they have switched the set.  Unless they played UF again, but they did that on 360, and questions over if it is appropriate for this tour considering they have already dropped MLK.  Wire is a possibility but only just that.  Again Promenade would go down with diehards, but not casuals.  From WAIA - LCT and Three Sunrises are obscure again.  Again diehards would like it but would lose the casual core of the audience.  I'm guessing from what clips that I am seeing there are a fair number of casuals attending the US leg, given that it is touring an old album.
Still, I am finding an unplanned IWF at the end of the encore an interesting choice - it's like 'back to the start / innocence'.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2017, 11:42:17 AM »
Actually - I just thought, could Party Girl be played live before the TJT section?  Although Ali has not been around on the tour yet, she memorably was in the latter stages of the 1987 tour and came onstage with champagne.  Again, please?