Author Topic: Bono's new character has an official name  (Read 5839 times)

Offline JohnMegadeth

• Babyface
Bono's new character has an official name
« on: May 30, 2017, 10:56:30 AM »
The character that Bono portrays during Exit on The Joshua Tree 2017 tour is named...Shadow Man.

From the recent Rolling Stone interview with Bono:

How did it feel to play "Exit" again?
I had a lot of self-harm over the years playing that song. I was very glad not to play it for many years. I broke my shoulder. I got into some very dark places on the stage. I'd rather not step back into that song, but I found a way by thinking of where it came from and going back to the books I was reading at the time. I realized the real influence was probably Flannery O'Connor, so I developed this character called the Shadow Man and I'm managing to step into the shoes of the Shadow Man without any self-harm. It's quite a character. I'm actually using some lines from [the O'Connor book] Wise Blood. I also do "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe," which we grew up with in Europe, a totally racist thing. The bit from Wise Blood is, "Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going is never there. Where you are is no good unless you can get away from it." It's Southern Gothic, which is what I guess you'd call it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 09:54:14 AM by JohnMegadeth »

Offline ecadad

• Staring at the Sun
  • 🐍
Re: Bono's new character has an official name
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 07:49:57 PM »
Shadow Man

I could dig a song with that title.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 07:52:40 PM »
Shadow Man!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline wraitii

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 09:38:38 AM »
Bowie's got a song called Shadow Man, on the unreleased "Toys" album (itself a re-recording of a 1971 version which I believe is also unreleased?).

Probably no connection because it's pretty obscure though, but the lyrics to the song do fit weirdly.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 10:02:11 AM »
Day man, fighter of the shadow man.  Champion of the sun, master of karate.

Offline Voltee

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 01:29:53 PM »
Haha Vox  that made my day!!

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 04:28:33 PM »
...that's very Jungian of him.

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 12:37:37 AM »
I'm very interested in this character, but the one dilemma with it is that our time with him is very short (pretty much one song). Maybe that's the point, but to me it seems that by the time the audience begins to get immersed in this character - BOOM, he's gone.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 11:25:42 AM »
I'm very interested in this character, but the one dilemma with it is that our time with him is very short (pretty much one song). Maybe that's the point, but to me it seems that by the time the audience begins to get immersed in this character - BOOM, he's gone.

Maybe because he is very dark and foreboding, he should only be around for 1 song.  Would it not be too creepy if he hung around for MOTD?

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 09:59:14 PM »

Maybe because he is very dark and foreboding, he should only be around for 1 song.  Would it not be too creepy if he hung around for MOTD?

Good point - you don't want a guy like that to stick around TOO long!

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 04:48:57 AM »
It's impressive how Bono can quote a passage from Wise Blood word for word. He has an almost eidectic memory with literature and poetry. Yet on stage, when singing a song he's sung a thousand times...

Unless he emailed the answers to RS and googled.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 06:08:52 AM by The Edges Cat »

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 07:46:15 AM »
It's impressive how Bono can quote a passage from Wise Blood word for word. He has an almost eidectic memory with literature and poetry. Yet on stage, when singing a song he's sung a thousand times...

he's got ADHD undiagnosed I'm sure.  We can hyper focus and remember random things that are of interest to us.  Then not know our own phone number

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 07:50:09 AM »

he's got ADHD undiagnosed I'm sure.  We can hyper focus and remember random things that are of interest to us.  Then not know our own phone number
Yes...my guy remembers every line from every book, every movie, every song...but he can't remember me sometimes. lol

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 08:29:57 AM »

Yes...my guy remembers every line from every book, every movie, every song...but he can't remember me sometimes. lol
I have eloborate ways I compensate like compete OCD about where Things go and lists and notebooks and phone reminders.  I have like 3 places to look for information.  I tape the kids med doses to the bottle.  I never forget a face, but never remember names or number combinations having a locker was rough in school

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 08:35:03 AM »

I have eloborate ways I compensate like compete OCD about where Things go and lists and notebooks and phone reminders.  I have like 3 places to look for information.  I tape the kids med doses to the bottle.  I never forget a face, but never remember names or number combinations having a locker was rough in school
Some of these issues are interesting. I can remember the birthdays and some phone numbers of kids I went to elementary school with (and that was a LONG time ago), but I can't remember what I had for dinner last night. I think this is more "old-timers" disease than anything else. eek!