Author Topic: U2 Catalog now all MFiT in iTunes  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Panama Jack

• Wanderer
U2 Catalog now all MFiT in iTunes
« on: June 01, 2017, 08:54:25 AM »
Recently, all of U2's core albums were re-upped in the iTunes store with Mastered for iTunes (MFiT) badges.  (For anyone who doesn't know what that means, see here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.) 

An interesting tidbit about these new releases, at least in the US iTunes store, is that some albums list new 2017 copyrights, and some don't:

Boy: 2008
October: 2008
War: 2008
Unforgettable Fire: 2009
Joshua Tree: 2007
Rattle & Hum: 2017
Achtung Baby: 2011
Zooropa: 2011
Pop: 2017
ATYCLB: 2017
HTDAAB: 2004
NLOTH: 2009
Songs of Innocence: 2017
U218: 2017

The copyrights of the non-2017 albums all correspond to either the album's original release date (HTDAAB & NLOTH), or to the album's latest remaster (Boy-TJT, AB-Zooropa).

Does this mean that these new MFiT iTunes versions of R&H, Pop, and ATYCLB are new remasters?  More importantly, does this mean that we'll finally get deluxe releases of those albums in the near future???

Also, a couple side notes:

1. Since Zooropa shows a 2011 date, I think that's a strong indication that it was indeed remastered when it was released in the AB Deluxe Box.  I know there was some debate about that.

2. Why does Songs of Innocence show a 2017 date??? That album is barely 3 years old, and it was originally released in the MFiT format. What, if anything, is so different about this latest MFiT version that it warranted a new 2017 copyright?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 09:52:22 AM by Panama Jack »

Offline Panama Jack

• Wanderer
Re: U2 Catalog now all MFiT in iTunes
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 09:29:19 AM »
A few more tidbits:

In the US store at least, Songs of Innocence is missing "Volcano." The track numbers go from "5. Iris (Hold Me Close)" to "7. Raised By Wolves." That's likely just an oversight on Apple's part. (Edited to add that this has now been corrected).

On HTDAAB, "Fast Cars" has been added as track 12.

On ATYCLB, "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" has been added as track 12.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 11:26:20 AM by Panama Jack »

Offline Passenger

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 09:44:00 AM »
looks like SOI has indeed been fixed up in 2017...
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Panama Jack

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 09:54:42 AM »

Wow! Good find.

I think that lends credence to the theory that the new 2017 copyright dates on R&H, Pop, & ATYCLB mean those albums have been freshly remastered.

Offline mariomofo

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 10:17:03 AM »

Good article! I always found The Troubles to sound really clipped, especially when compared to the rest of the album. I might give the new version a listen.

Offline Panama Jack

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 10:21:52 AM »

Good article! I always found The Troubles to sound really clipped, especially when compared to the rest of the album. I might give the new version a listen.

Listening to the samples, the whole SOI album sounds completely different to me. Like the article said, some of the songs have details I've never heard before. The EQ seems different. And the vocals seem to be more clearly separated.  Given that it's currently only $6, I might have to download it.  (This time, though, I kinda wish they would just add it to my library for free... haha!)

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 10:45:27 AM »
If you still have the original iTunes release of SOI, can you redownload these new files for free?

Offline Panama Jack

• Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 10:39:38 PM »
If you still have the original iTunes release of SOI, can you redownload these new files for free?

I just tried downloading it, and it still gives you the 2014 version.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 11:38:44 PM by Panama Jack »

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 10:41:51 PM »
Is it really noticeable? Maybe with Boy-October-War era?

Offline Panama Jack

• Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 11:46:07 PM »
Is it really noticeable? Maybe with Boy-October-War era?

Boy, October, & War are still the 2008 remasters we already have, just now in MFiT. The MFiT downloads will sound a little better than the CDs in some respects overall, but the improvement will likely not be so amazing that you need to justify buying them again. Listen to the samples in iTunes.

The real difference I notice is with SOI, which has now fixed the issue at the end of "The Troubles", and to my ears, the whole albums has a way better overall sound and clarity than the previous iTunes version or even the CD. Again, listen to the samples to see if you agree.